orange amps

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
So what is the big deal with these amps. I hear their amazing but why? What kinda orange amp goes for 800-1000 american.

How do they compare to the combo mesa amps?
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    classic british sound amps. the only one i that price range is the AD15 currently though there have be AD5 and AD10s in the past.

how do they compare? hard to say. sound wise they're very different.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I wouldn't give them an amazing moniker, but they are very well made excellent sounding amps especially the custom shop models and their brethren Matamp.

Orange provide a specific tone, very british. Chimey classic rock tones. Lovely clean clear crisp tone with outstanding overdrive.

Mesas are also a specific tone, (Californian or American)

I reserve amazing for the best amps I've ever heard like the Diezel VH4S and the BJF Mad Professors then again they are $4,000

Oranges are quite different than Marshalls as much so as Mesas are different than either.

Orange and Vox are fairly similar in their EL84 equipped amps.

AD 15/30 AC15/30 respectively.

Orange is known for their wonderful strong toneful speaker cabinets and heads with lots of clean power and muscle.

There is no better or worse once you reach a certain plateau only different tones.

I know I love My AD 15/12
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Why the hell does a 15 watt orange amp cost the same amount as a 50 watt mesa boogie with 2 channels.

Do these people have horrible production values?

It just seems wrong? Are their covers made of endagered rhino skin?
    bah. nevermind.
    Originally posted by MissYouAllDay
    Why the hell does a 15 watt orange amp cost the same amount as a 50 watt mesa boogie with 2 channels.

you're equating volume with value, it's not done that way.

You are purchasing a tone. The beauty of a 15 watt all tube tube rectified simplistic non reverb amp is that they spend all the money on components.

It has everything you need, and nothing you don't. There is a huge market for single channel low wattage all tube amps especially for recording.

For one a 50 watt (RMS) tube amp is very very loud.

A 15 watt amp can get a full soak overdriven tone at substantially less volume so it works better in a smaller club. There is no reverb to clutter or muddy the tone. They equip it with very good quality EI tubes a Celestion Vintage 30 and nice components throughout.

Once you get to a certain level you purchase amps based on need.

Some people just want the best little 15 watt amp with the sweetest tone they can buy, run a strat through an orange and see what you think. Also they accept pedals well.

Again there's no right or wrong you are buying "tone" and tone is subjective.

Original guitar amps were very simple handwired beasts with only volume and some sort of basic tone shaping. Guitarists (Pete Townsend for one) found that if they turned them up all the way they distorted. I believe it was Jim Marshall who first added the Master Volume to a tube amp. So people looking for a classic sound look for simplicity.

The Mesa F series is an outstanding value but the Orange fits what I'm looking for better at the moment.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Why the hell does a 15 watt orange amp cost the same amount as a 50 watt mesa boogie with 2 channels.

until you play through an orange, you won't understand.
  • Well I am considering the orange 15 watt amp as well. I really like the idea that it accepts pedals well.

hey paco is there anyway you feel like recording a litle bit of clean strat into orange and posting it?
    Well I am considering the orange 15 watt amp as well. I really like the idea that it accepts pedals well.

hey paco is there anyway you feel like recording a litle bit of clean strat into orange and posting it?

I'd love to I just have no host for it at the moment.

I could probably e-mail you something.

To be honest I think you are better off with the F-50. It's more versatile with the music you play and like I think it would still be the best fit for you. It sounds awesome and can achieve a wider range of tones. Everyone I've met with an F-50 loved it. Don't abandon it yet.

Speaking of which did you see Jack White at the Grammy's?

I thought it was an excellent performance.
  • Ah, the age-old question: To have one amp with one great sound, or an amp with a few good sounds?

I prefer the one great sound... and I still haven't found it, but the amps I have, I'm pretty happy with. I certainly don't go for the "standard" tones... I try to get a combination that is uniquely mine. And I'm not the first to look for the tone I want (P-90's into a Bassman? Dime a dozen) but still, I'm not an "LP into a cranked Marshall" guy, either.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I can't believe how amazing it was. He went nuts at the end. Especially in the middle of such a comercialized piece of shit with so much production and phonyness...all that bad assness just was twice as wicked. I enjoyed it thouroughly.
    I would like to see jack white and Chad Kroeger fight to the death.

Man seriosuly how can any respectful music fan hate jack white?

saving rock and roll 1 shitty ass corporate show at a time....

ps.

hear the right up in that paper about the performance?

and don't worry F-50 i9s still #1. I just had to look into orange cause they are so hyped and alot of great artists use them.
  • Originally posted by MissYouAllDay
    and don't worry F-50 i9s still #1. I just had to look into orange cause they are so hyped and alot of great artists use them.

I'll say one thing...

Orange CABINETS are the bomb. Now if they'll just build a MIG custom signature 4x10" cabinet...
  • goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    So what is the big deal with these amps. I hear their amazing but why? What kinda orange amp goes for 800-1000 american.

How do they compare to the combo mesa amps?

Are you Overseas, as in Europe, ????
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen

• I'm not.

BTW I'm goin to florida this week.
    I'm not.

BTW I'm goin to florida this week.

Have fun in New Jersey South.
  • New Jersey south eh?

I have never been further south than chicago myself.
    While in Florida take note of the number of New Jersey tags you see. It's like Mecca for New Jersey natives.
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Ah, the age-old question: To have one amp with one great sound, or an amp with a few good sounds?

I prefer the one great sound... and I still haven't found it, but the amps I have, I'm pretty happy with. I certainly don't go for the "standard" tones... I try to get a combination that is uniquely mine. And I'm not the first to look for the tone I want (P-90's into a Bassman? Dime a dozen) but still, I'm not an "LP into a cranked Marshall" guy, either.

That reminds me, I still want to get an Orange combo...it'd have to be the 30watt...and run it with my bassman. That's my affordable dream.

Another combo would be a blackface bassman head with an orange 4x12 cab...running with an orange head and cab. blend the two with my volume/pan pedal...

I change my mind a lot. But it's fun thinking about amp combos.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • I played through an AD-30R this weekend, and it was everything it could've been. Very nice, very balanced... great overdrive, great reverb, great EQ. The speakers were Celestion V30's, so nothing to complain about there. I still want an Orange 4x10 guitar cab, but hey, what can you do. The amp was about the perfect size and wattage, could crank it without ears bleeding... but the clean tone was also VERY nice. Dial in a good tone clean, or maybe just a BIT dirty, and add a Tubescreamer... very nice...

They had an AD-30 head, I wanted to plunk down some cash and run. Damn GAS!
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    I played through an AD-30R this weekend, and it was everything it could've been. Very nice, very balanced... great overdrive, great reverb, great EQ. The speakers were Celestion V30's, so nothing to complain about there. I still want an Orange 4x10 guitar cab, but hey, what can you do. The amp was about the perfect size and wattage, could crank it without ears bleeding... but the clean tone was also VERY nice. Dial in a good tone clean, or maybe just a BIT dirty, and add a Tubescreamer... very nice...

They had an AD-30 head, I wanted to plunk down some cash and run. Damn GAS!

:) Told you.....where'd you find one?
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    they just started carrying Orange amps and cabs at the shop I go to... they sure look cool...

I still would take a Dr. Z, they are about the same price point... My new GAS case is to get a Ghia combo with a bluedog speaker... in blonde tolex... with the Vox diamond grille.

That or a black one with a wheat grille and a silver or gold Z on the front.
    There's No Code.
    I'm really wanting a Z-28 and some sort of reverb tank.
    a Z-28 would be nice... I played an old 6v6 amp this weekend with a strat... wow that sounded nice.

The amp was made by Oahu... very simple two channels of inputs. Volume for each channel and a tone knob... I almost bought it to run with the Ghia...
    There's No Code.
    Originally posted by House53
    a Z-28 would be nice... I played an old 6v6 amp this weekend with a strat... wow that sounded nice.

The amp was made by Oahu... very simple two channels of inputs. Volume for each channel and a tone knob... I almost bought it to run with the Ghia...

I have been longing for a 6v6 or 6l6 amp with 10's for my cleans. I love, ok its a bit of an obsession, classic blackface fenders.

however I have made up my mind on the new strat and after than will be some kind of nice acoustic. for the major purchases. It takes me a while to earn all that money.
    My mind is set on a nice acoustic to replace my Martin D-28... I am thinking that it will happen in December, christmas bonus. Until then, I am spending as little as possible... except in a coupld of weeks when I go to Vegas...:D

I am leaning towards another D-28 or possibly a HD-28... if I can warrant the price increase. A vintage Martin would be ideal.

a 60s D-21 or D-28... back when they used the brazillian rosewood still... I have had the good fortune of playing two of these... and they are worth the hype.

Otherwise, I have been investigating as much gear as possible to narrow down to my ultimate list... the criteria:

5 electrics
    2 acoustics
    1 acoustic electric (to play out with)

3 amps
    3 speaker setups (a combo amp counts for amp and speakers)

It is tough... but I think it is reasonable and will not be frowned upon by potential wives...
    There's No Code.
    The list, as of right now:

Guitars:
    -Gibson Townshend SG

-Tele with a humbucker neck (ideally a vintage fender, early 60s perhaps, with maple board, I would settle for an ASAT with a nice sunburst or vintage blonde finish... gun oil tint is a must)

-Gibson 335 or 355... big tone

-Strat (maybe a on Don Grosh for example, that or a real deal... same finish requirements as the tele

- Girlbrand... check them out http://www.girlbrand.com... these are great guitars... wonderful designs, smokin' pups, super high quality and feel.

Acoustics:
    -Martin D-28 (old or new, they are all great)
    -Gibson SJ-200 (vintage)

A/E
    -Gibson J-160E (John Lennon couldn't be too far off)

Amps:

- Carmen Ghia, in some form...
    - Hiwatt DR504
    - Fender Vibroking (vintage bassman layout with reverb and vibrato... = nice tone)

Speakers:

- 212 cab with Vox Blues/V30s (interchangable)
    - 412 Hiwatt cab with Fanes
    - Vibroking is a combo...

Anyone else?
    There's No Code.
    Originally posted by House53
    My mind is set on a nice acoustic to replace my Martin D-28... I am thinking that it will happen in December, christmas bonus. Until then, I am spending as little as possible... except in a coupld of weeks when I go to Vegas...:D

I am leaning towards another D-28 or possibly a HD-28... if I can warrant the price increase. A vintage Martin would be ideal.

a 60s D-21 or D-28... back when they used the brazillian rosewood still... I have had the good fortune of playing two of these... and they are worth the hype.

Otherwise, I have been investigating as much gear as possible to narrow down to my ultimate list... the criteria:

5 electrics
    2 acoustics
    1 acoustic electric (to play out with)

3 amps
    3 speaker setups (a combo amp counts for amp and speakers)

It is tough... but I think it is reasonable and will not be frowned upon by potential wives...

GC Atlanta has several lovely 70's D-28's and 35's along with some 1940's Mahogany D-18's (I think that's the number)

They are incredible with new strings. so much sparkle with this deep rich resounding tone to them.

I really love the Taylor 600 series for stage use. Quilted maple backs and sides with the solid sitka spruce top. Very nice sound amplified. Not boomy. Very smooth.
    i need a good second amp with a dirtier character than my deluxe reverb.

maybe i'll replace my DR with a vintage example too.

i'd like a 335.
    and i'd like a taylor 314 so i can retire my morgan from gigging but since i no longer plan on gigging it's not a big deal.

but none of those are important right now.

i need a good digital piano but that'll get taken care of soon.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i need a good second amp with a dirtier character than my deluxe reverb.

maybe i'll replace my DR with a vintage example too.

i'd like a 335.
    and i'd like a taylor 314 so i can retire my morgan from gigging but since i no longer plan on gigging it's not a big deal.

but none of those are important right now.

i need a good digital piano but that'll get taken care of soon.

I think those Epi elite Dot's are pretty dead on for a 335. Hell aparently they are made in the same shop as Grestch guitars in Japan so you know they know hollowbodies. You'll probably change the pickups anyway. I've decided any guitar I buy from here on out will either come with locking tuners or I will put locking tuners on them.
    good call on the piano situation... I love writing on a piano... easier for me than with a guitar.
    There's No Code.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    I think those Epi elite Dot's are pretty dead on for a 335. Hell aparently they are made in the same shop as Grestch guitars in Japan so you know they know hollowbodies. You'll probably change the pickups anyway. I've decided any guitar I buy from here on out will either come with locking tuners or I will put locking tuners on them.

i thought about getting a sheraton II and swapping out the electronics, tuners and nut but i figure if i'm gonna go, i'm gonna go big. the epi just does not have the feel. especially after playing an GLPC for 8 years.

335 with tobacco burst please.