Options

Guitar 101

2»

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    American and USA both refer to United States-manufactured guitars (Corona, California). What is the model name of that second guitar? Oh, and you don't need to frame web links, this board is html-enabled...

I would still recommend trying a few different arrangements before you make a purchase. And the Schecter PT model is still available at a better price than the Fenders:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031104212656150131025216567343/g=home/search/detail/base_id/46135

I remember you mentioning that one...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Looks pretty good but I'd rather spend 2x as much for the quality knowing I will be playing this guitar for a very long time.

It says on musicians friend the American HS (the second model) goes from twang to jazz. Knowing that the humbucker is at the neck will this guitar still produce awesome deep raunchy sound if I want it too?

And is it possible to put a pick guard on that HS? It comes without one.

These 2 guitars are nearly Identical in features so it's the feel and playability I will be going for (and looks).

I am gonna try a american at a local music store soon.

man PJ community rocks...
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Options
    Well, my recommendations would have to be based on a musical style... what kind of stuff do you want to play? Do you want to play Metallica, or the Strokes? For really good deep, raunchy distortion, I like a humbucker at the bridge. Distortion on a neck pickup tends to sound really muddy and ill-defined. Those guitars you are looking at are more for twangy country-rock and electric blues, so if that's what you want, those are your guitars. As for the pickguard question... you could probably get a standard Tele or Esquire pickguard and rout out the hole for the humbucker, but unless you or a friend has a jig saw or band saw, that might not be the easiest thing to do. A qualified guitar tech could probably do it for you, for a modest fee...

Really, you gotta try before you buy... looking at $600+ for a guitar, make sure you get the right one.
  • Options
    I wanna play a really broad range of things. Like I will obviously be playing ALOT of PJ. I want something that would make Seven Nation Army sound awesome and rearview mirror....and DTE. That muddy distortion on the neck sounds like it would be great for DTE actually.

What does the twang of the bridge single coil sound like when distorted? pretty cool?

I see eddie using his tele for a wide range of songs so that makes me think its a pretty versatile instrument.
    (well I guess he uses that SG that the rest of the world owns now but you see what I eman)

and 600$+ in Canadian is 1000$+
    ouch, but it must be done. Guitars are way too cool and fun to play.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Options
    Originally posted by MissYouAllDay
    I wanna play a really broad range of things. Like I will obviously be playing ALOT of PJ. I want something that would make Seven Nation Army sound awesome and rearview mirror....and DTE.

You'll need more than one guitar I'm afraid. Or buy a hell of a lot effects, or line 6, whatever. Even the most versatile guitar has limits...
  • Options
    Ed has almost always played double-humbucker guitars, with the exception of a few with P-90 single coils that have higher output. His Schecter Tele has two humbuckers, as do most of his SG's. The Pete Townshend SG and one or two of his SG Specials have P-90's. You won't find P-90's on a Tele, unless you build one custom. A Fender Tele Sonic has fatter single coils, similar to P-90's, but they can be hard to come by these days.

A distorted single coil can sound pretty sweet, just not as meaty as a humbucker. Typically a bit thinner. Mike plays his '59 Strat with stock single-coils for most of his blistering-hot leads, so...

Try a standard Strat, a standard Tele, and a Gibson or Epiphone Les Paul. If you find someone with a Tele or Strat with humbuckers, give that a play too. Explain to the folks at the music shop what you want, tone-wise, and see what they recommend.

Really, the debate between humbuckers and single-coils rages in here for months... everyone has a preference.