frontman help

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey all. What do you all think of the fender frontman and fender frontman II? Can you all tell me your experiences or hearsay about either or both these amps. I am interested int he reveerb one of either version1 or 2. I have heard horrible things about the ones made in indonesia. The 1's were made in mexico but he 2's were made in china and indonesia I think.

Please go nust any information would e awesome.
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bump
  • samicksamick Posts: 373
    I got a frontman 25R...........not a bad amp in my opinion......never really messed with the reverb...........but i would take your guitar to you local music store and try one...................
  • was that amp manufactured in mexico? I assume it is a frontman series 1 since you didn't specify. Thanks.
  • djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    I own a frontman 15G, I believe it was made in Indonesia. I realy would not recommed this amp, Not much versatility, bad sound. Maybe the mexican ones are better, but Im not liking mine, and I recommend that you avoid it
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
    Mine is mexican............I like it but to each his own............it's not gonna be for every one............i like mine.........i do however want a tube amp...............but as a solid state amp it's not bad to my ears...........the drive channel sounds good...........take your guitar into whatever store you go to and try one............play with the settings ................
  • I went to the store today. I borrowed a tele of theirs and went to town on 2 practise amps. The fender 15r sucked. It just seemed to suck monkey balls. I tried a marshall 15 w effects amp (whatever it's called) and it was amazing. The gain sounded much clearer and not like a horrible audio accident. The reverb was like 5x as good. Controls were nicer and it seemed to have a better construction
  • I hate any solid-state Fender amp with extreme prejudice. NEVER, EVER BUY SOLID-STATE FENDER AMPS!

There are a number of great little all-tube practice amps out there, too. Vintage Fender Champs and Vibro-Champs are great:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2577827862&category=38073
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2576989328&category=38074

As are newer Fender Pro Junior and Blues Junior amps:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031203182539150131025216372534/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/480861/
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031203182539150131025216372534/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/480491/

Pignose makes a couple smaller, all-tube practice amps now.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031203182539150131025216372534/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/489052/

Kustom makes a little hybrid amp with a tube in the preamp stage for a great price:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031203182539150131025216372534/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/481230/

A little Epiphone:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031203182539150131025216372534/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/480255/

There are some decent solid-state amps out there, and as always, if it sounds good then go with it. But if you want a good little amp that you can keep for a while, get something nice. I have a Vibro-Champ, and it's 8 watts, an 8" speaker, very small, good for playing at low volumes. But the best thing is, I use it to record with, and I get the best tone out of that thing!

Just my $0.02 worth...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    I seriously want a tube amp but i'm still gonna keep my frontman.......I like.........it does exactly what i need it to...............i just want to save my money......i want a VOX tube amp and those aren't cheap.....
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    the hell with a frontman. I'd get a peavy in that price range.

The Peavy Transtube series is most likely the best amp for the buck in that price range. They are great amps for the money.

Fender DYNATOUCH amps may be the worst series ever manufactured. Models of bad Quality Control.

The irony of your username is that Samick manufactures almost every music companies goods that are made in Korea. All in the same factory all by the same people. If it says Made in Korea. Samick probably built it.

As always nothing beats a 65 vibro champ.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Originally posted by Pacomc79
    the hell with a frontman. I'd get a peavy in that price range.

The Peavy Transtube series is most likely the best amp for the buck in that price range. They are great amps for the money.

As always nothing beats a 65 vibro champ.

See? I'm starting to get through to some people here...

I actually really like the Peavey Bandit II amps. They aren't a practice amp, but I really like the way they sound. If I was in a dick-around band and needed a basic, reliable, cheap amp, I would probably go out and buy one.

And nothing beats a Vibro Champ.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    See? I'm starting to get through to some people here...

I actually really like the Peavey Bandit II amps. They aren't a practice amp, but I really like the way they sound. If I was in a dick-around band and needed a basic, reliable, cheap amp, I would probably go out and buy one.

And nothing beats a Vibro Champ.

my first amp was a RAGE 158 Transtube.

I've got a buddy with an Envoy a blues driver a MR. Crybaby and a Black Am Standard Strat. Nails the southern rock Allman Bros, WP, Marshall Tucker Band sound.

The Bandit is a good amp and that stack they make is as good or better than anything else offered in the $600 range
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Originally posted by Pacomc79
    The Bandit is a good amp and that stack they make is as good or better than anything else offered in the $600 range

Really, you need the stack... the combo amp itself sounds okay, but when you add that second Sheffield 12" cabinet with the sealed back, it just adds so much bottom-end punch... very nice...

I actually had a Peavey 1x12" extension cabinet a couple years ago, but I traded it off on my first bass amp. I wish I still had that, it was a great speaker and a great cabinet. I love Sheffield speakers... they aren't right for what I play now, but for what I played back then, Sheffields were the only speaker beefy enough for my tone.