The Darkness

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
They were on muchmusic live today. Wow they are great live. Their sound is identical to the cd. The guy acts so cocky it's insane. At first I thought it was dry humor but after a few answers to questions I think he is actually the cockiest musician alive. I like their music, it's just catchy as hell but I dunno about the band members yet.

The guitar player has a vintage Black Beauty Les Paul that was made for jimmy page.

So yah it was pretty interesting. They wanna save Rock and Roll...but they want things to be like they were in the late 70's I think. Not quite like the 80's (in the way of shitty musicians with big hair) but with the big spectacle bands.

(please no rants about how awesome slash was cause I know, I was just generalizing :) )
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    I dunno...I saw part of their video and it made me cringe then quickly change the channel...to each their own
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • ExodusExodus Posts: 212
    woo Darkness!

all i have to say is FUCK YA!

that CD is great...i recommend it to anyone who just likes rockin music. indeed
    Between the conception and the creation

Between the emotion and the response

Falls the shadow.
    PS.
    hey dave
    gimmie a call sometime.

Falls the shadow.
  • That video is one of the funniest things ever. You gotta watch it next time!!! It has a rockin song to go with it too!!
  • the darkness started out as a decent retro rock band but have now turned into the biggest joke in the music industry. kids who go out any usually buy justin or britney are buying the darkness because its fashionable but they know nothing about real rock music. the darkness are just hollow, piss poor industry lackies.
  • MONKEYNUTS LIKES THE DARKNESS. he ssaw THEM LiVE AND DEY do pUt ON a gUD SHow. dir gUitarISTS R ALSO decent

dir nOFFIN SPECial doh. if they CAME OUT 20 YEARs agO THEY WUD Just b A Pub BAND But AS MOST MAInstream mUSIC IS SHIte dey hav MAdE iT BiG. BuT they r gUD TO JUST LISTEN TO FOR SOME decenT ROK TUnes and nice METAl/rok SOlos

MONKEYNUTS DUnNo if u cud calL DEM INDUSTrY LAkies. tehy HAV BIn playIn this typa music eveN WEN they wir toURIN FOR YEARs In shiTtY LIttle pUBS AND CLuBS. DY HAV WOrked harD FOR IT. DEY HAV JUST GoTTTEN A DECNET brake is all. Just cos Some NoB hed kids waNNA BuY THE ALbUm dat shUDNt take awAY FROM THE MUSIC THAT these gUYS MAKE
  • i know that theyve been at it for a while but there's no sentiment or feeling behind the music, and the fact that they earned their money writing tv ad jingles just shows how much of a piss take band they are. they started out genuine but have been turned into a joke by the press and their label, the shame is that they are willing to go along with it while they're flavour of the month. the christmas song they released really does sum up how bad they really are. ok they may be ok for a bit of fun but i feel sorry for people who take them or their music seriously.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by gatefold
    i know that theyve been at it for a while but there's no sentiment or feeling behind the music, and the fact that they earned their money writing tv ad jingles just shows how much of a piss take band they are. they started out genuine but have been turned into a joke by the press and their label, the shame is that they are willing to go along with it while they're flavour of the month. the christmas song they released really does sum up how bad they really are. ok they may be ok for a bit of fun but i feel sorry for people who take them or their music seriously.

you say that now but spend your whole life trying to make music playing in dive bars and living on Top Ramen and have someone come at you with a few million bucks for just being cool for a while and then turn it down. Sometimes you have to make your money while you can while its available then you can fuck around the rest of your life. Really they play cheesy late 70's rock what did you expect? They are supposed to be like that. It's entertaining and kind of funny, don't begrudge making a quick buck.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    you say that now but spend your whole life trying to make music playing in dive bars and living on Top Ramen and have someone come at you with a few million bucks for just being cool for a while and then turn it down. Sometimes you have to make your money while you can while its available then you can fuck around the rest of your life. Really they play cheesy late 70's rock what did you expect? They are supposed to be like that. It's entertaining and kind of funny, don't begrudge making a quick buck.
    Yep.

Thanks Paco, you saved me a lot of time saying the same thing in crappy English sentences. ;)
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • i am in a band and do spend my life playing crappy venues and earning shit money etc so i know what its like, believe me. i do know how hard work it is. i dunno how many of u guys are from the uk, but if you are you'll know that for most of last year all we heard about was the darkness and its becoming sickening when there are many more talented band around that dont get as much recognition as the darkness but deserve a lot more.

i guess my problem is that i hold pearl jam as the standard that everyone should aspire too, and when i see cheap imitators like the darkness getting somewhere when pearl jams albums dont even chart in the top 20 in the uk anymore i get a bit pissed off.
    Originally posted by gatefold
    i am in a band and do spend my life playing crappy venues and earning shit money etc so i know what its like, believe me. i do know how hard work it is. i dunno how many of u guys are from the uk, but if you are you'll know that for most of last year all we heard about was the darkness and its becoming sickening when there are many more talented band around that dont get as much recognition as the darkness but deserve a lot more.

i guess my problem is that i hold pearl jam as the standard that everyone should aspire too, and when i see cheap imitators like the darkness getting somewhere when pearl jams albums dont even chart in the top 20 in the uk anymore i get a bit pissed off.

Yeah. unfortunately Most people like mindless ass clown music.

Keep at it. All you can do is try.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • see the thing is you can only enjoy th darkness if you take their music lightly. These guys aren't pearl jam, they aren't gonna change the world. On the otherhand they write some awesome classic rock music about nothing.

I really think they are more than "decent" guitarists.

I say sit back enjoy it. They aren't Creed they aren't pretending to be so incredibly deep and insightful. I rather listen to entertaining bullshit that is called bullshit. Better that then a bunch of guys that are full of shit.
    Originally posted by MissYouAllDay
    see the thing is you can only enjoy th darkness if you take their music lightly. These guys aren't pearl jam, they aren't gonna change the world. On the otherhand they write some awesome classic rock music about nothing.

I really think they are more than "decent" guitarists.

I say sit back enjoy it. They aren't Creed they aren't pretending to be so incredibly deep and insightful. I rather listen to entertaining bullshit that is called bullshit. Better that then a bunch of guys that are full of shit.

yeah I think they are pretty good guitar players. I like it. It's fun. I like late 70's Van Halen type stuff too. I just meant to take it lightly. I'd take them over a lot of crap on the radio right now anyway.

I understand the stuff from regular pub bands too. When you are busting your ass to write good music and these guys come out with this kind of cheezy stuff and make a killing it can be disheartening.

Just keep playing your bit one day maybe you will make some money too. If not hell your in a band that's making your life richer as it is. It's fun.
  • djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    yeah thats the key, just have fun with it all. they are talented, if nothing else
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • ill agree with you that they're good for a laugh and a bit of fun, ive no prmblems jumping about to them in a club after a few too many beers. they're not that great guitarists though!

anyway, this site rocks, everyone is really nice and civil towards each other even when theres a difference of opinion. you feel like you can air your view because your not gonna get called an asshole, yeah sure someone might disagree, but we woiuldnt be human if we didnt.

oh and thanks for the nice words of encouragement, music is what we (the band) live for, it means everything too us. money isnt a motivational factor at all, but some recognition for our hard work would be nice. who knows what the future holds.

anyway, if you want to check out my band we're from birmingham in the uk and are called gatefold. our website is http://www.gatefoldonline.co.uk where you can find a few of our songs. theres also a clip of the first song on our new cd, silence, so check it out. if the site takes time to load be patient, let me know what you think. any feedback would be great (yeah, even criticism, as long as its constructive!)
  • Originally posted by MissYouAllDay

The guitar player has a vintage Black Beauty Les Paul that was made for jimmy page.

Holly shit! I don't know if anybody else knows what I'm talking about, but Jimmy Page had a black beauty that got stolen like after their fourth album. I think it was the one he used on Whole lotta love and the Stairway to Heaven solos. If it's the same one, then it will solve one of the greatest rock mysteries in the world (besides what called Jimi H)!
    Support you local anarchist
    didnt Jimmy have a couple guitars made for him that self tuned to anything he wanted, though?
    it could be one of those...

Falls the shadow.
  • Theres probbly no band I hate more right now,not especially because they suck,more because theyre bloody everywhere(over here anyway).I dont mind a band that sucks that isnt forced down my windpipe(Creed for example,personally I couldnt give a the slightest hint of a f*ck about Creed).
    Funny signatures are for people with imaginations and friends...count me out....
  • No, Jimmy didn't have many guitars. He had the black beauty, and two les pauls, one he played with the violin bow. He had a few telecasters and a strat that Jeff Beck probably gave him. Of course there was that double neck Gibson SG, and some acoustics. And to English, I say preach it on the mountain. I understand music being forced down your throat, I'm from Texas. The next time hear a shitty country band I'll probably hang myself with a low E string. And creed definately sucks, they're just the christian version of pearl jam. They've got like what three good songs, and they all sound the same so I really don't give a flying f**k either. But sorry for all the hate (I know they frown upon that here) so rock on England.
    Support you local anarchist
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    I know it's natural, but the whole Tiny Tim squeaky voice is like fingernails scraping a chalkboard. If by some chance I could get pass that, the whole cape thingy pretty much burned in my mind, blew it for me. Instrumentally I like them.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • he seems to agree with me

"the guitar player is a fucking shredder"

He says how they are walking a fine line between parody and band.
  • WolfieWolfie Posts: 1
    They're really good as musicians, but the coverage of this band in the UK is BEYOND overkill! I saw them live and they were good, it was just a shame about the crowd. They turned into a mob when they came on stage. The moshpit got quite bad. There were people standing on other people to get closer to the front etc...You'd have thought The Darkness were playing death metal up there from the way the crowd acted. It's hardly suprising though, most of them looked like 15 year olds who were experiencing their first gig.
    Power to the People.
    (I'm female by the way!)