The strokes weird guitar tone

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited December 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am refering to the tone that sounds like " do do do" Like it sound like is produced by a keyboard. Is it just a keyboard? It is most obvious in the song 'The end has no end' off their second album.

Which I would recommend downloading to anyone, it's pretty cool.

Any idea how they produce this cvrazy tone? Does it have to do with harmonics? I can produce something similar which is like the slash "bell sounding" tone from the start of sweet child o mine. To do that I just play a clean neck humbucker (classic 59) and pick near the neck not the bridge.

SO any ideas? Let me know if you need the song to hear this tone I speak of.

Thanks
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Yeah...I was curious about their tone too. I've seen them live and they rock. I don't think they use a keyboard for anything live...I think it just may be their guitar setups. I know that the rhythm guitarist usually plays a strat (singl coils), but he's got some killer sustain and fluidity to his tone that makes the whole thing sound so sweet.
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!
  • .......just looked it up on guitargeek.com. Here it is:

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/598/

I think the key here is probably the numerous gain stages.....the O/D into the micro amp, etc... Still kinda puzzling to me.
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!
  • I'd bet you could get similar results with an MXR Blue Box...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I met albert hammond jr after a show in st louis in april of this year. we talked for several minutes over a heineken. that setup on guitargeek is exactly the same way he described his set up to me. he said nothing is sampled or on keyboard and that they make all of the noises with their guitars. he said he uses the jeckyll and hyde pedal on every song. he also said on some songs he uses the jeckyll side with a clean channel and others with a dirty one. other times he does the same thing with the hyde side and others he uses both the jeckyll and hyde sides. i asked him to be more specific but he said that "it depends on the song". i recreate Albert's tone for "last nite" and "reptilia" with a clean channel with alot of high end, with the jeckyll side on with the settings as follows:

Drive 10:00 position
    Tone 11.5 position
    Volume 11:00
    EQ 2:00

that works pretty well for me. i am not sure about that part on the end has no end though.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • I will listen to reptilia and see if its the same tone. Thanks alot.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day