Tremolo

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey guys.

I was wondering what it would cost to put a good tremolo on an SG. Would this wreck the guitar in any way physically or tonally?

And what is the difference between those huge bigsby tremolos and the little bridge tremolos on strats?
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    #1 I couldn't tell you. SG's used to come with very crappy lyre vibrato tailpieces.

The tremolo system on strats is a block that is inside the body, supported by springs. In a floyd rose set up the top and bottom of the string are locked so you can bend away to your hearts content without tuning problems in theory anyway.

The bigsby is actually a vibrato tailpiece, they are mounted on top. The strings fit in a moving bridge that moves when the handle is pressed Bigsby's have a spring under the handle so you can hit it for a vibrato effect, where as tremolos are similar in that you are essentially bending pitch the action on a bigsby is much more free. They are just slightly different.

The bigsby would be your only option as the body really isn't built to accept a strat type tremolo.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.