Finally proud owner of...

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
BIG MUFF PI AMERICAN!!!!

I got it for 99.00 candian at a music store in the mall. That is about what you guys pay for it over there.

I haven't got to try it yet (I am gonna run it with my acoustic and traynor amp when I get home for a weekend) but I tried it at the store with a squire LEs Paul knock off and it was really cool. It gives you practically endless sustain.

I wonder what do you guys use a big muff for. I figure it is THE pedal for songs like sweet child o mine and sounds pretty sweet for seven nation army and any Smashing pumpkins song.

I noticed it's not all that great for chording though. This is because of the intense fuzz and sustain, after a chord switch it turns into mush. The pumkins use it so awesomely (new word) , like they do a lead and the sutain just causes the notes to start layering (a la swet sweet child o mine or Rocket)

It is pretty big like the last buyer on here said. And I noticed that it does kinda push in if you press on the switch end to hard.

It looks hella cool though. So fill me in on some of the collest uses for this pedal guys. I intend for this to be my only pedal ever, aside from a nice wah. I am taking the minimalist approach.
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by MissYouAllDay
    BIG MUFF PI AMERICAN!!!!

I got it for 99.00 candian at a music store in the mall. That is about what you guys pay for it over there.

I haven't got to try it yet (I am gonna run it with my acoustic and traynor amp when I get home for a weekend) but I tried it at the store with a squire LEs Paul knock off and it was really cool. It gives you practically endless sustain.

I wonder what do you guys use a big muff for. I figure it is THE pedal for songs like sweet child o mine and sounds pretty sweet for seven nation army and any Smashing pumpkins song.

I noticed it's not all that great for chording though. This is because of the intense fuzz and sustain, after a chord switch it turns into mush. The pumkins use it so awesomely (new word) , like they do a lead and the sutain just causes the notes to start layering (a la swet sweet child o mine or Rocket)

It is pretty big like the last buyer on here said. And I noticed that it does kinda push in if you press on the switch end to hard.

It looks hella cool though. So fill me in on some of the collest uses for this pedal guys. I intend for this to be my only pedal ever, aside from a nice wah. I am taking the minimalist approach.

Congrats. It's cool, I want one too eventually. I think modulation and delay are cool, I really don't use it at all though. As far as I'm concerned you can never have enough gain boosting effects, I view them as an extention of my preamp.

I need a fuzz and a univibe for my modulation effect.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I hooked it up to my acoustic and through to a 1970's reciever/tapedeck and speakers. Yah I was that desperate to try it.

It worked ok but the pedal only recognizes perfectly played notes on an acoustic. You also have to pound the strings pretty hard to get a good fuzz with an acoustic. It was still really awesome. Could emulate stones DTE sound perfectly on his little solo part.

Since there was no actually amplifier the sound was a little weak ( I don't know anythign about audio hardware. Was it cause theres no sound processor or soemthing?) theres no amp in front of the reciever? Obviously this thing wasn't made to have a guitar and pedal played into it. In fact I had to be constantly recording to hear it on the speakers. Like recording onto a cassette in the deck I mean. The sustain didn't really work at all with the acoustic theres probably some physics to explain that.

So 1 down 2 to go.

Down
    Big Muff Pi Am

To Go
    Gibson SG Standard
    Mesa/Boogie F 50

You will notice that the down costs 99.00 where as the to go costs 2500.00 :)
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day