Fretboard goo

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a rosewood fretboard. What would be the benefits of putting some of that fretboard goo Paco is always talking about on it?

Also knowing what the actual name of "fretboard goo" is might help me.

Thanks all,
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I have a rosewood fretboard. What would be the benefits of putting some of that fretboard goo Paco is always talking about on it?

Also knowing what the actual name of "fretboard goo" is might help me.

Thanks all,

fretboard conditioner.

I usually use GHS fast fret because it's not messy but there are tons of brands to choose from.

Fretboard conditioner cleans your fretboard and conditions the wood, to keep it from discoloring and cracking. It will generally darken rosewood, some people like to use lemon oil or what have you to do this.

GHS Fast Fret is generally used on the strings I just like to use it on and inbetween the frets as well. it imparts a slicker string feel some like and some don't. Finger Ease is another example but it is spray on and kind of messy, you can play on both.

Most of the time I talk about guitar grease or big bends nut sauce, to ease friction at the nut and bridge so your guitar will go out of tune less frequently.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Hmmm,

Well I don't want my fret board to crack or get shitty.

If it's for the fret board how does putting it on the strings help? Does it just rub off onto the fret board?
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Hmmm,

Well I don't want my fret board to crack or get shitty.

If it's for the fret board how does putting it on the strings help? Does it just rub off onto the fret board?

GHS Fast Fret and Fretboard conditioner are two different things.

Fast fret is a stick of wadded cotton pads with string lubricant on it. It just so happens that it works pretty well as a conditioner too so I rub it on my frets and on my fret board when I restring and clean them. It's primarily a string lubricant.

Just search for fretboard conditioner at Musicians Friend or whatever and you'll see the usual conditioners.

you can search for fast fret too. it's a little different.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Accessories/Fingerboard_cleaner,_lubricant.html

that's fast fret.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/d=tp?q=fretboard+conditioner
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.