Question for Canadians

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey all,

I have a question about shipping some of you may have the answer to. I got my maxon AD9. I paid 215US shipped for it. When it came I was charged 70 CA duty!!! Does this not shock you? I mean this was not a commercial sale. For all they knew he was sending his buddies pedal to him who lives in Canada. So What I am saying is that duty is not charged on random objects going over the border, only on new and purchased items from a legal commercial organization, right? SO how on earth was I charged 70$ duty!!! I could have bought a round trip ticket to georgia on a bus for that price.

My Keeley pedal was 150US, it was from a legal commercial organization, I paid 12$ US duty on that. So how does increasing the cost from 150 (or was it 160?) to 215 increase duty from 15 to 70 dollars canadian?

Do you guys think this is strange? And maybe unreasonable?
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• KingVKingV Posts: 10
    depends on how it's shipped and what's declared, perhaps. maybe you should ask jeeves
    Barrie Ont 1998
    "A fuckin' football" EV

Halifax NS 2005
    "Fetch me a new guitar, I sha'n't be playing this one" EV
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    was it shipped by UPS or fedex. because they rip you off with brokerage charges.

i always get stuff sent via USPS because then at least i only pay GST.
  • It was UPS,

So EX you think that could be the culprit?
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    yup. UPS are a bunch of crooks.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Double check the admin fee on brokerage you were charged. Also with NAFTA some of the duty rules are pretty crazy. Some stuff comes across with a very low or no duty levied. Other items, depending how the seller and brokerage firm have coded the item may change the item from being a low duty item to a high duty item. I'd give the brokerage firm a call.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • DeeveDeeve Posts: 122
    Hey all,

I have a question about shipping some of you may have the answer to. I got my maxon AD9. I paid 215US shipped for it. When it came I was charged 70 CA duty!!! Does this not shock you? I mean this was not a commercial sale. For all they knew he was sending his buddies pedal to him who lives in Canada. So What I am saying is that duty is not charged on random objects going over the border, only on new and purchased items from a legal commercial organization, right? SO how on earth was I charged 70$ duty!!! I could have bought a round trip ticket to georgia on a bus for that price.

My Keeley pedal was 150US, it was from a legal commercial organization, I paid 12$ US duty on that. So how does increasing the cost from 150 (or was it 160?) to 215 increase duty from 15 to 70 dollars canadian?

Do you guys think this is strange? And maybe unreasonable?

Its all UPS brokerage fees. Shipping USPS and putting a declared value of $20 on it will get you past this. Never have anything shipped UPS to Canada. The receiver will get poop shooted when they get it. I have friends that have paid $50 brokerage on an item that they paid $35 for.

UPS are bastards. They handle the package at the border and they think it gives them free reign to charge the receiver whatever tickles their fancy.

Personally, my wife and I have a PO box in Niagara Falls. We get a lot of online purchases shipped there. Costs $5 to the mailbox and $3.50 to get back across the border. We make a weekend out of it and bring back a couple of bottles of red wine too :)
    "Lick the dirt off Olajuwon's feet"