Gibson Les Pauls = Sloppy players?

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I remeber a while back we were talking about Les Pauls and how everyone uses them on TV. Someone went as far as to say that sloppy players use Les Pauls.

No one agreed with this guy. After seeing a band play in guelph last night I think that an acurate statement would be:
People that play Les Pauls aren't necessarily sloppy, but a Les Paul can make a sloppy player sound better than a strat or Tele would.

I think this is a pretty agreeable statement.

This guy had some iffy technique and just played songs that were like, brain stew jaded. Bar band type stuff. Jimmy eat world etc. His $2000 US wine red Les Paul was making it sound pretty good but by watching him you could the guy was not very "tight".

Also the dude had a wierd amp head that I could not recognize that was like glowing. Like it had all these little led lights on the front of it or something. Anyone here that can identify this amp?
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    certain tones can hide deficiencies i suppose. it's certainly not some trait that i'd pin solely on gibson les pauls. maybe it had more to do with the amp. who knows.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    That amp is probably a Hughes and Kettner. Or you ate the green mushrooms again.

Crap is crap, unless you're playing on an exceptionally clean amp gain helps cover mistakes regardless what you're playing on.

It's not the guitar it's the player. Maybe it's less noticible with the fat mids and high output, but it's still noticable.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I feel true tone is ultimately in the guitarist's hands.

Nice sig, Paco!
  • ShwnShwn Posts: 37
    If you have bad technique, and are a sloppy player, no guitar will cover that up.
    Distortion will slightly, but it'll still be quite audible. I don't think it's possible to label one brand of guitar that makes you sound better, or another. It's all about the melding of your style of play, the amp and the guitar. Cheap guitars can sound amazing in the hands of someone who knows how to play, and expensive guitars can sound like shit in a beginners.
    "One day we will all be in the soil with no gods to slave to, and no heroes to kill for"
    -Between the Buried and Me
  • Yah the price was thrown in there for no good reason. What I meant to suggest is that the high output pups and fat tone are what covers up the sloppyness to some greater degree then with single coil pups.

It was a hughes a kettner. I saw writing on the amp that was in the shape of those words. Yah that thing glowed like christmas lights. weird.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • depends on who's playing it
    pamajama

~RELEASE ME~
  • my 16 year old son has 4 and he sounds great on all of them
    pamajama

~RELEASE ME~
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    sometimes sloppy players sound really cool..... like mitch mitchell from guided by voices. hes insanely sloppy, and he played a TV yellow les paul, and he looked and sounded really sweet.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • TavTav Posts: 63
    If your sloppy just add some distortion to hide it. Les Pauls do promote a different playing style. If you read Gary Moore interviews he speaks about how Strats and LP's feel different and make you play different...as does Clapton...ofcourse they do...shorter scale length, less string tension etc etc I wouldn't say it makes you a sloppy player though...if your sloppy on one guitar your prob. sloppy on all of them.
  • Any sloppy player will sound okay with power chords and some distortion. Les Paul, SG, Strat, Tele... that doesn't matter.

Les Pauls tend to be a little chunkier, which makes them better for distorted power chords, though.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.