Tube amp heat

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I was just wondering, when I play for an hour or so straight the switches (the 2 metal, standby and mains switch) on the front of amp start to heat up. Is this normal? Do I have anything to be worried about? They aren't burning my hands when I touch them, but they are definately pretty warm.
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• What kind of amp?
    Is it a tube amp?

What color are the tubes glowing?
    How old is your amp,
    when did you have it serviced last?

Give us some background on the unit.
    -nik-
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Yes it is a tube amp *cough* thread title *cough*.

It's a highwatt dc-40. Got it in the fall. Probably 4 years old or less. Never been serviced while owned by me. (how much does this usually cost?) and the tubes glow orange.
  • lol
    yeah wow.
    i must have been lunched out the other day,
    can't believe i didn't see the title.

if your tubes aren't glowing bright red or blue or some other crazy color, i wouldn't worry too much.

I have some combo amps where the the switches get a little warm.

You could always take it to your local amp shop and just ask them to give you a quick opinion, i doubt they'd charge you,
    but i imagine it's ok.

About the popping sound with your hiwatt i'm stumped.
    I want to say it's a guitar chord problem, but i'm sure it's something more fundamental than just a faulty line. I suppose it could be a faulty preamp tube or something.

I know my effects\send tube went out on my mesa, and it makes this godawful squeal.

I don't know why Mccreadyisgod and Pacoma aren't responding, they know more anyhow.
    lol.

sorry
    nik\
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Thanks for the help,

Yah it sounds like the notes are right and everything, but there is just a pop or "ping" sound that is part of the note at the beginning of every high note. I play with brand new cords so I don't think it is there. I should get an audio sample up cause it's ear shredding.
  • Heat in a tube amp is normal. Tubes are little heat generators... Is the front panel some kind of metal? If so, the chassis is just transferring heat from the tubes to anything metal around it...

Just try to keep the amp well-ventilated. About 6 inches of room on all sides to let it breathe... especially the top and back.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.