Replacement speakers

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey all,

Well I have a really sketchy speaker on my hiwatt DC40 that has absolutely no markings on it. What's up with that? Also I am picking up radio signals very strongly on my amp when its at full power (40 watts). IS this because my cheap ass speaker is unsheilded?

So what kinda speaker would go well with a hiwatt combo amp? I want to maintain the character of the amp to some extent. So what are my options. The impedence can be set at 4, 8, or 16. I have no idea what this means as far as sound goes, just that it has to match the speaker.

The amp says 50W by the speaker jack. I assume this means it is "supposed to" have a 50W rated speaker. So what kinda speakers are awesome? Does Fane still make speakers? What about those greenbacks everyone is always talking about?
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    are you running a wah pedal at all?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • No,

and funy thing is it only happens on 40W mode, not at all on 12W.

I am running tele>ts9+>hiwatt
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    So what kinda speaker would go well with a hiwatt combo amp? I want to maintain the character of the amp to some extent. So what are my options. The impedence can be set at 4, 8, or 16. I have no idea what this means as far as sound goes, just that it has to match the speaker.

The amp says 50W by the speaker jack. I assume this means it is "supposed to" have a 50W rated speaker. So what kinda speakers are awesome? Does Fane still make speakers? What about those greenbacks everyone is always talking about?

Dunno what the source of your RF interferance is... could be a lot of things. It could be that it's picking up the signal in half-power mode, but is just not loud enough to be heard. I'd be shielding your guitar... are you playing thru humbuckers or single-coils?

I would guess that you have some sorta cheap speaker in there, like an Eminence. It's strange that there isn't even a model number or serial number printed on it, although it could've been on a small sticker that got removed. You definitely want the speaker's impedance to match the amp.

As far as wattage ratings, you can choose to do a lot of things. Getting a speaker rated for the same or higher wattage than your amp puts out is a good idea. However, some people like to drive their speakers to get an interesting distortion tone. Celestion Greenbacks are probably the most famous example, as they're rated for 25 watts and are easily overdriven.

However, I'd suggest something along the lines of a Celestion Vintage 30 (60 watts) or a GT-75 (75 watts). I'm not familiar enough with Fane speakers, but I know you can get them. Their alnico speakers seem to have the better reputation. If you want a ceramic speaker, go with Celestion. Weber makes good copies of the Fane stuff at much more reasonable prices, so if you want to go that route, check with Weber first (http://www.webervst.com).
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • And the vintage 30 isn't gonna make my hiwatt sound like marshall is it?
    And the vintage 30 isn't gonna make my hiwatt sound like marshall is it?

no, it's going to sound like a hiwatt. It's a great speaker choice for that amp. As are the webers, You might even look at the Heritages or the 80 watters too if you want less breakup.

I suggest looking up Reeves amps and their vintage purple fane copies.

Ted Weber would be a good guy to email. He knows speakers, and can definately recommend the right one for you.

Fane is the hiwatt sound but Celestion is right down the street.

check out the speaker selector at http://www.celestion.com

The G12-T75 is not a bad option either. Rivera loves them.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Dunno what the source of your RF interferance is... could be a lot of things. It could be that it's picking up the signal in half-power mode, but is just not loud enough to be heard. I'd be shielding your guitar... are you playing thru humbuckers or single-coils?

I would guess that you have some sorta cheap speaker in there, like an Eminence. It's strange that there isn't even a model number or serial number printed on it, although it could've been on a small sticker that got removed. You definitely want the speaker's impedance to match the amp.

As far as wattage ratings, you can choose to do a lot of things. Getting a speaker rated for the same or higher wattage than your amp puts out is a good idea. However, some people like to drive their speakers to get an interesting distortion tone. Celestion Greenbacks are probably the most famous example, as they're rated for 25 watts and are easily overdriven.

However, I'd suggest something along the lines of a Celestion Vintage 30 (60 watts) or a GT-75 (75 watts). I'm not familiar enough with Fane speakers, but I know you can get them. Their alnico speakers seem to have the better reputation. If you want a ceramic speaker, go with Celestion. Weber makes good copies of the Fane stuff at much more reasonable prices, so if you want to go that route, check with Weber first (http://www.webervst.com).

Eminence are anything but cheap, there is a 10 page article on the company in Tone Quest this month. You would be surprised to find out how many companies sell rebadged Eminence speakers as their own! I went with Eminence Red White and Blues in my new Amp and they are anything but sub par! Check out the website, they pretty much have nailed down every vintage speaker application and then some.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    http://editweb.iglou.com/eminence/eminence/pages/products02/patriot/patriotredcoatmain.htm

although I detest virtually every factory version that has graced the innards of Fender amps, these are pretty solid. David Barber loves them.
    JofZ wrote:
    Eminence are anything but cheap, there is a 10 page article on the company in Tone Quest this month. You would be surprised to find out how many companies sell rebadged Eminence speakers as their own! I went with Eminence Red White and Blues in my new Amp and they are anything but sub par! Check out the website, they pretty much have nailed down every vintage speaker application and then some.

I know for a fact many companies are selling stealthy Eminence speakers as their own. I also know that Eminence makes some really good stuff. However, they do make some cheap crap that isn't fit to play Skynyrd covers on.

The Vintage 30 and GT-75 speakers are VERY transparent. They'll allow your amp's character shine thru stronger than most speakers. A Greenback actually would make your Hiwatt sound like a Marshall, to a degree.
    if you go with weber, it's looking like the Alnico or Ceramic 12V's might be your best option I think they run about 95 bucks, just email Ted and ask, he could actually build you a copy of a vintage fane to fit that amp if that's what you want.
    from all the clips I have heard I like the Eminence speakers a lot. There are tons of options, all of which are really dependant on your ears and what you like. Eric Johnson swears by Celestion, Cray, Sanata, and tons of others like the hemp cones. It is all about what your ears like.
    Why not buy re-coned vintage speakers? There are some great tones to be had from the real deal.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    JofZ wrote:
    from all the clips I have heard I like the Eminence speakers a lot. There are tons of options, all of which are really dependant on your ears and what you like. Eric Johnson swears by Celestion, Cray, Sanata, and tons of others like the hemp cones. It is all about what your ears like.
    Why not buy re-coned vintage speakers? There are some great tones to be had from the real deal.

yeah that's not a bad option either. http://www.simplyspeakers.com and Weber as well as others do recones. I'm sending a 6.5 inch clarion to simply speakers pretty soon, I'll let you know how they do.

just for reference, the most popular hemp cone speakers I know of are A Broun Sound's Tone Tubbies.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah that's not a bad option either. http://www.simplyspeakers.com and Weber as well as others do recones. I'm sending a 6.5 inch clarion to simply speakers pretty soon, I'll let you know how they do.

just for reference, the most popular hemp cone speakers I know of are A Broun Sound's Tone Tubbies.

Yep, tone tubbies, and the cannibus rex are getting a lot of reviews as well. They clear customs I knw that much LOL.
    Let me know about the recone's, I think there is much more mojo to be found going that route.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

I think that the Vintage 30 is the most transparent speaker on the market today for guitar. Love it.

And hell, one of my favorite speakers is the Peavey Sheffield, which makes any Eminence speaker look high-class.

I'm just NOT a Brit amp guy, so I really can't share any preferences with you on speakers with coloration. The Fanes (and the Eminence and Weber copies thereof) have good reputation. I'd look at the Weber Thames alnico, as well.
    I think that the Vintage 30 is the most transparent speaker on the market today for guitar. Love it.

And hell, one of my favorite speakers is the Peavey Sheffield, which makes any Eminence speaker look high-class.

I'm just NOT a Brit amp guy, so I really can't share any preferences with you on speakers with coloration. The Fanes (and the Eminence and Weber copies thereof) have good reputation. I'd look at the Weber Thames alnico, as well.

the Thames Alnico.... yeah I forgot about that one. I think you can get those with the 40oz neodyn mag boosters too huh?
    What about scumbacks?
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    What about scumbacks?

no experience with those unfortunately. I'm sure they are nice.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    the Thames Alnico.... yeah I forgot about that one. I think you can get those with the 40oz neodyn mag boosters too huh?

I abhor neodynium.
    I abhor neodynium.

excellent word usage.
  • HiwattHiwatt Posts: 19
    Do a search on Ebay once in a while until you find Harry Joyce speakers. The are pricey at $189 a piece I think. I have a 4x12 cab with these......freakin unreal. Harry Joyce is the man behind Hiwatts and these are his custom made speakers based on the old Fanes made for Hiwatts in the 70's.