Full tone Wah

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited December 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone can provide some insight into the fulltone wah. The things costs an arm and a leg. LIke $300 US so like $305 Canadian (that made my day)

Is this an exceptional wah? Why the huge pricetag. I noticed it is true bypass and that to send a pedal to keeley to bypass it is like $70 on its own.

So how awesome is this thing and what mainstream wah is it comparable to? Has anyone heard one?

Thanks guys
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone can provide some insight into the fulltone wah. The things costs an arm and a leg. LIke $300 US so like $305 Canadian (that made my day)

Is this an exceptional wah? Why the huge pricetag. I noticed it is true bypass and that to send a pedal to keeley to bypass it is like $70 on its own.

So how awesome is this thing and what mainstream wah is it comparable to? Has anyone heard one?

Thanks guys

Clyde?

yeah it's a great wah, take it or leave it. excellent components (halo inductor) Fulltone pot etc.

Is it worth the money? Not to me. Not when you can get an RMC Wizard Wah for $175 or a RMC 2/3 with all the tweakability for $235
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    get a teese. fuller doesn't deserve anyone's money.
  • You guys both seem to have something against fulltone? Are they leaning on their name to keep prices high?

Whats RMC?

And teese?

Are these also true bypass wahs?

The clyde from fullrone looks Very solid.
    You guys both seem to have something against fulltone? Are they leaning on their name to keep prices high?

Whats RMC?

And teese?

Are these also true bypass wahs?

The clyde from fullrone looks Very solid.

the thing we have against Mike fuller is not the quality of his pedals. It's his general attitude.

Geoffery Teese builds Real McCoy Wahs. http://www.realmccoycustom.com

yes they are true bypass.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Do you two both play Teese wahs?

How are they? Could you give me a quick review?
    Do you two both play Teese wahs?

Mr Teese is one of the foremost authorities on wah pedals in the World.

His company mainly builds wah pedals, it's pretty much all he does. They are played by some of the best musicians in the world.

They sound very similar to the original Thomas Organ/JEN Crybaby Wahs of the late 60's and early 70's.

The Teese Picture Wah is an exact sonic copy of the orignial Vox Clyde McCoy Wah pedal.

look around on the above site and the analogman site.

I don't currently own one but I will.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Do you two both play Teese wahs?

no, i have a mad scientist vox wah.
  • PAc which of his wahs are u gonna get? The picture wah?

He recommends certain wahs for certain pickups which makes it more confusing than any other pedal I have bought.

I kinda have this stigma applied to gimicky things. Like the less dials the better. Its not that I dont like the flexibility but in my head more features means less quality/feature.

For instance I would never consider a pedal that was a fuzz and an overdrive.
  • Hell, unless you're a junkie, the re-issued Vox McCoy is a pretty good deal, and it's also true-bypass. At $150, it's hard to beat, especially compared to the Teese, Fulltone, or Budda wahs that have tried to copy the original. Hell, it was good enough for SRV, Clapton, and Hendrix (even though Dunlop has bogarted that claim to fame).

But if you want some audiophile components and that uniqueness, Teese is the guy.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    PAc which of his wahs are u gonna get? The picture wah?

He recommends certain wahs for certain pickups which makes it more confusing than any other pedal I have bought.

I kinda have this stigma applied to gimicky things. Like the less dials the better. Its not that I dont like the flexibility but in my head more features means less quality/feature.

For instance I would never consider a pedal that was a fuzz and an overdrive.

probably the wizard wah which is pretty much for anything it ramps up less gain so high gain pickups are ok.

The RMC 1 is mainly for strat players as it contains the mods that SRV and Hendrix had incorporated into their own stuff.

The Fulltone Clyde, the RMC Picture, and the original Vox Clyde McCoy are essentially very close in sound and they all use HALO inductors.

Play everything first man, you may find a cool wah in a 99 dollar vox or a 99 dollar fasel inductor Cry Baby Classic. Hell you may even like a Morley I've used mine for 6 or 7 years now.

The #1 difference between the cheaper wahs and the more expensive wahs are internal components and actual care put into thier being built as well as true bypass of course (which Pete Cornish hates) ultimately the most notable charactistic of the picture wahs is the vocal tonality. In my opinion the new Vox 847 (CM) sounds nothing like the originals because it is more shrill in the top end. The 50 bucks extra buys you a shiny case but it's not much different (besides the inductor maybe) than the hundred dollar standard vox wah.

Bring your amp and guitar with you on a day off, start early, play everything they will let you try including maybe even the Vox V-wah as binfrog loves it.

let your ears and your wallet decide then if you may want to spend the extra money. See if you can't find one of the botique pedals used.

We can't really tell you subtly what the differences are (unless you really want to read some schematics and learn the differences in the HALO, Fasel red, and stack of dimes inductors) but the higher end pedals are tweaked in response to guitarist feedback so issues like crappy pots shrill inductors and picking up radio frequency don't happen as frequently on the higher end stuff. For instance Dunlop's HOT POTZ is good for maybe 10,000 turns before it's cashed. The Fulltone wah pot is good for 100,000 turns meaning it's built 10 times as strong as the HOT POTZ. Little things add up. It's up to you what those little things are worth. For many musicians the 69 dollar Cry Baby is fine or the 2 octave Hendrix Wah is fine, even the MR. Crybaby combo volume, wah, 20db booster is a great pedal. So shop around and don't take your time.
  • Of course, where the wah sits in the pedal chain and what pedals it interacts with are a huge deal, too. When I had a wah (standard CryBaby), I always put it first and my compressor right after, and I used the compressor to really mellow out the top end of the wah. It worked pretty well. Another key element is the interaction with any overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals, and where the wah is in relation to them. So if you find a wah that sounds great by itself, it may or may not fit in with the rest of the pedalboard once it's paid for.

So, to reiterate what Paco said... try before you buy.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.