"pop" when playing high notes

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have this problem, I have had this problem since I got my Hiwatt.

When I play high notes with the volume up even a little bit, Say, 30%+, whenever I play a high note (14th fret or higher maybe, on high e) I get this horrible pop. It is not a pop from the amp as in there is something wrong, it is a quality of the sound of the note. It kills the ears. Like it is clearly just part of the sound and not an amp malfunction. Is this due to my "attack"? Even if i slide the pick slowly accross the string with the volume up high, as soon as the tip of pick leaves string creating the sound there is a pop caused.

It is very loud and hard on the ears. Can anyone explain this phenomenon and maybe give some suggestions to fix it?

Thanks alot.
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Have you tried turning down some of the tone levels on the amp?
    Particularly the "high" or "Treble" knob.

Also, what guitar are you using?
    Is it possible the guitar is pushing out a hot signal,
    or possibly, like my gretsch, it is pushing out a very treble-ly signal?

--not that i'm by any means a technician, it's just i'm in a CAD class and falling asleep --
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • I think I have tried turning down the treble knob on the amp, that didn't provide much help. I could turn it all the way down but what horrible thing would that do to my overall tone?

I play a telecaster. But keep in mind it does the pop the worst when using my 59 classic humbucker thats in the bridge by itself.

But you do know the"pop" I'm speaking of then?
  • I'll do some more extensive testing to day and post my results, se if that gives anyone some ideas.
  • It could be that the strings are hitting the magnetic pole pieces of the pickup. This problem happens a lot on basses...

Is the pickup really close to the strings? When you fret a string up high (say, 18th fret) how much space between the string and the pickup?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Yah I don't think it is that. I checked and theres good space. And this happens when I play only the high e string at 14th fret or higher maybe. So I am not pounding on these strings. I am thinking it could just be a volume issue. Yesterday I tuened the treble on my amp all the way down, and it didn't fix anything. WOuld the "presence" knob effect this problem at all? What would help is if one of you could post a sample of a an all picked note riff high up on the high e string (just on the high e string, the higher the better) with your amp pretty loud. I could tell by listening whether this is a volume problem or there is something really weird. Which I think there is.

Anybody wanna volunteer :) WHo owns a tele and a vinatge sounding amp cough paco cough
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Has the speaker been examined yet?

try everything at lower volume and see if you get the same result.

I'm not sure what kind of a pop you are getting but it could have something to do with the speaker it self reacting.

I think had a similar experience with a Mesa Lone Star last weekend.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Yeah, my next guess would be a speaker malfunction...

Is it possible to check another speaker?

How about a different guitar?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • yah,

I'll get on the other speaker tonight. and post about it.
  • K well I tried it with my little marshall tonight.

It still has the shrill sound all high frequency sounds do but not a a really bad pop quality at the start of every note like the hiwatt does.

It was weird playing a sloid state after all this time. The amount of distortion that is available at low volumes is cool after having to really work with a solid state to get your tone right. Like with a solid state, it might sound shittier, but you just turn the iknobs and go.