Is this a good deal on a strat?

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
It's a red mexican standard fender strat. It's red with a white pic guard and in seemingly good shape. I can get it for 150$ I think.

Is this a good deal?

I might put some really FAT Pups in it and make it a a really dirty blues guitar. A lead machine of some sorts.
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Sure if it's a mex and not a squire affinity you're golden. Perfect platform for some new pups.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
    It's definately a fender. It's on the headstock. The person is clueless. Too clueless to pull one over on me and go to the trouble of gettign a fake headstock decal. And even then why would you fake a fender, then sell for the price of a squire :)

Has a maple neck which I am not fond of.
    I will only get it if it is a STEAL. Is that the case?
    It's definately a fender. It's on the headstock. The person is clueless. Too clueless to pull one over on me and go to the trouble of gettign a fake headstock decal. And even then why would you fake a fender, then sell for the price of a squire :)

Has a maple neck which I am not fond of.
    I will only get it if it is a STEAL. Is that the case?

Yeah, I actually have a Peavy from 1993 that is red with a maple neck. It has served me well.

150 is about cost on it if it's a brand new mexican.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    So if I get this thing here are the candidates for the pickups.

Seymour duncan lil 59's. So I will have a 3 humbucker stratocaster that looks like normal stratocaster (sounds like a wicked idea) 219$

Seymour duncans hot rails. I understand these are very high output Pups. What exactly would they sound like? Great for dirty blues? 219$

Lindy fralins. I need some help here. I know nothing about lindy fralins pickups other than their reputation. Frankly I don't think they sell themselves very well. The website is too technical for the average musician and doesn't describe the Pups relative to anything else. Anyway, I wanna know which lindy Pups could gimme a sweet lead/dirtyblues sound. 220$

So knowing this would be a lead rock/ blues guitar what do you guys think?

I am open to suggestions.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    The Fralins are awesome. The Duncans are cool, but quite different...and the Duncan single coil's are not in the same league.

For the kind of deal you're getting on that Strat, Id go the extra mile and drop in the Fralins. They kill for that kind of tone.
    enharmonic wrote:
    The Fralins are awesome. The Duncans are cool, but quite different...and the Duncan single coil's are not in the same league.

For the kind of deal you're getting on that Strat, Id go the extra mile and drop in the Fralins. They kill for that kind of tone.

I quite agree. My strat will have Fralin Blues in the neck and middle and a Harmonic Design S90 at the bridge.

Hey man, what do you know about the budda tube pedals, what do you think?
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    That might be a pretty nice Strat! The hardware sometimes if funky on them, but you can always upgrade if you need.

The Fralin Blues Specials are a great set. Maybe the neck and bridge, and a lil 59 in the bridge, but the blues bridge pick up is great in that set. That set will give you Strat tone with a little bite to it .

Putting all 59ers may not be that great. I love Strats, but humbuckers in the neck and middle never did much for me.

The hot rails are really great pickups for blues if you're bending strings big time, because it picks up all the way along the rail, whereas the poled pickups kind of lose the signal and fade out when you bend. They're mainly for bending 2 to 4 step bends. Otherwise you don't need them.

So,,,,, BTW, did you ever figure out the 7/4 Solsbury Hill?
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Hey man, what do you know about the budda tube pedals, what do you think?

I owned the Budda Phatman for a while. I ran it with a Dr. Z Rt. 66, and it was badass...especially if you dig big 70's rock guitar sounds. I ultimately sold it, but only because my philosophy changed. Great box. i ran mine with 5751's for a touch less gain and more balance.
    "The Fralin Blues Specials are a great set. Maybe the neck and bridge, and a lil 59 in the bridge, but the blues bridge pick up is great in that set. That set will give you Strat tone with a little bite to it"

Hmmm, what is the next highest output option from fralin? Like something that would be a little grittier than those blues specials.

And whats with all the "winds" stuff. I don't need an explanation of the technology, just an explanation of which wind I want based on what I'm describing to you guys. I like my highs, how can a lead guitar not have wicked highs?

Heres a question that I wonder, when you guys play lead/blues on a strat what pickup position do you use? I like the neck (which is the humbucker) on my tele. The neck plus bridge (single + hum) doesn't sustain very well (who knows why). The single coil (bridge) is also very nice on it's own. It sounds clean and sustains well. I may make this a poll cause it's a whole other issue.