Shure Beta 58a

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I gots me a new mic.

SO far not impressed or unimpressed. Have to wait a week to get my 4 track, so for now I am plugging it into a home stereo from the 70's :) It makes me want to take singing lessons. It's a nice product, feels very solid. Comes with a nice little leather looking case to carry it in.

I need to get a good/cheap mic stand before I get the 4 track.

I also need to stop writing like elliot smith jr. and make some rockin songs to test all my recording setup out.

I bought 2 cables, 1 XLR to 1/4" and one regular XLR to XLR cable. I just picked up the XLR to 1/4" one so I could plug into this old sound system in the meantime.

Yesterday I was trying many crazy things with the mic, to see what happens. I tried to put it through a tube screamer and into the old 83 traynor :) Didn't work.

So will the sound improve when using a XLR to XLR cable? Whats a good preamp to buy and how do independant preamps work?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/182491/

hows that one?
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i believe it's all impedance and level mismatches that prevent running a mic directly into pedals. i've tried it too in the past.

and trying to rock when you're writing on your own is really damn hard.

i wouldn't worry about any preamps beyond those in the 4 track at this point.

i'd look into a compressor/gate before preamps.
  • It's just that they don't mention type of preamps here like they do with other more expensive recorders.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/240781/

thats why I wondered if I would need a seperate preamp for a good sound.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yes lo z to lo z (XLR TO XLR) is better.

Lo Z to Hi Z can be done with an adaptor but it's not the prefered method.

choice on the mic. It's a great live vocal mic.

your 4 track is digital right? you might have a compressor/gate inside.

you could get some kind of warm tube preamp but at this point, Just start recording.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    It's just that they don't mention type of preamps here like they do with other more expensive recorders.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/240781/

thats why I wondered if I would need a seperate preamp for a good sound.

the internal preamps will be fine for starters.
  • sustainediasustainedia Posts: 112
    I have this mic and it is awesome for live sound as well as recording.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    The Beta 58 is a great mic, and will treat you well... it's a bit bright, but that really helps intelligability.

It's hard to say how good the preamps are on that Tascam. You'll find out fast.

If you get an external preamp, you would connect the mic XLR-XLR to the preamp, then run a 1/4" cable from the preamp to the recorder. Like the other guys said, the impedance is the big issue here... your mic is a professional low-impedance mic that should be connected to a low-impedance mic preamp. 1/4" gear is high-impedance. Running a lo-Z mic into hi-Z gear works, but it's not the best way.

You can run the 1/4" from a mic preamp thru your FX and then into the recorder for something interesting...

You might try getting a little mixer rather than just a preamp, like a little Behringer mixer. You can use the mixer's preamps, and if you want to submix things into your 4-track, it'll be a lot easier that way.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Its the mic I use at live shows.....I love the depth of it.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see