How do 4-8 tracks work

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
If I get myself a 4 or 8 track I assume I will be able to do this one thing on it. I will be able to record a track, then record another on top of it. Like a rythm, lead, and vocal track. I mean record 1 at a time (no band here) then mix them together.

Would I be able to do this on a 4 track tape recorder also, as opposed to a nice digital one?
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    yes, you can do that with a 4 track.
  • Cool, I started writing lyrics last night. Hardest thing ever. I am pretty excited about music right now. DOn't you love those days when it just makes you so happy to play the guitar. I just want to get a recorder and get creative.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    you can get into a little tascam cassette 4-track for very little $. it is fun.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I have an 8-track digital recorder. It's been great for getting ideas out of my head so I can expand upon them. I've been taking lessons for the past 7-8 months, so I haven't been recording a lot, but I really want to get back into it. I finished around 7-8 good songs, but I haven't done any since like last August or so.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • I've got an old Fostex x-15, a four track machine with a top loading compact cassette mechanism. It has two channels. Channel A handles tracks one and three; channel B handles tracks two and four. The cassette only records on one side of the tape, unless you switch the tape over and record an overdub onto, say, track one (Channel A). When you flip the tape over again, it will replay a backwards overdub through track four. You can have a lot of fun with one of those machines. Make sure you get the right kind of cassette for it. There's so much difference in the brands; it's worth looking around and testing what sounds best to your ear.