Lets fight about Jack White :)

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
So does anyone own the new album? I just got it for my Bday. The instrumentation is pretty crazy eh. All pianos and acoustic guitar.

But what I came here to ask is about the guitar tone on blue orchid. Is it just me or does Jack White spend weeks getting his a guitar tone?, cause I think the tone of this song is just out of this world!! It is so friggin bass heavy but still has a rockin edge.

So what did you guys think of the single or album as musicians?
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• white stripes are always great.

jack uses a lot of fuzz and octave pedals to create the illusion that there are several guitars or even bass when its actually just lonesome jack :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • jack is absolutely nasty with his guitar work. i love it.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    as far as that tone goes, I am fairly certain that he just listened to Death From Above 1979 and then completely riped them off.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    pretty much anything that sounds good, has had a lot of time spent on getting it right.

Layering, Mics, just the right octave tracking, just the right fuzz pedal cables speakers etc. He might act like a minimalist, but to get that out of an Airline he's taken a little time on it. It takes a while to learn how to get any exact tone like that. You'd probably like Queens of the Stone Age's tone too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • tmud91087tmud91087 Posts: 97
    i beleive that on blue orchid there are two guitars being played in unison. i may be wrong but i read that on a white stripes website or something. however the new album is ridiculously amazing
    5/24/06 - Boston
    5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08 - Mansfield
    6/30/08 - Mansfield
    8/2/08 - Eddie in Boston (FRONT ROW!)
  • Tom-JoadTom-Joad Posts: 17
    Yes, there are two guitars being played on the album version of Blue Orchid. It's not the first time they do it. It is particularly noticeable at the end of the second part of the main riff when both guitars play a G but one of them is one octave higher than the other. And if you listen carefully to the song, you will see that throughout the song, these guitars are slightly out of sinchronicity.

P.S. - That said, their new album is really awful. What a disappointment! I guees they'll never do another "White Blood Cells"...
  • DirtLikeMeDirtLikeMe Posts: 91
    Echoes wrote:
    as far as that tone goes, I am fairly certain that he just listened to Death From Above 1979 and then completely riped them off.

Yeah, Death From Above are so original, I even think QOTSA ripped them off too!
    And if hope could grow from dirt like me, it can be done
  • DirtLikeMeDirtLikeMe Posts: 91
    Tom-Joad wrote:
    Yes, there are two guitars being played on the album version of Blue Orchid. It's not the first time they do it. It is particularly noticeable at the end of the second part of the main riff when both guitars play a G but one of them is one octave higher than the other. And if you listen carefully to the song, you will see that throughout the song, these guitars are slightly out of sinchronicity.

P.S. - That said, their new album is really awful. What a disappointment! I guees they'll never do another "White Blood Cells"...

Jack is using a Digitech Whammy to get the dual octaves on that song and for this reason it sounds like there are two or more guitars.
    And if hope could grow from dirt like me, it can be done
  • I love the white stripes. Bought the new album and it definately is different. Blue orchid and a few others really rock, but overall i think jack needs to lay off the keys a bit. He kicks ass at guitar and that's probably why i got interested in the first place. I respect that they are trying different things and "expanding their sound", but i miss jack's guitar. It's almost like the Edge playing the keys when he could be playing guitar....it's like wtf?...pick up the guitar. And now I'm just rambling.
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!
  • Yah, I love Jack on the guitar too. But this new album is really really cool. I wouldn't mind now that he has gone the extreme in one direction if he goes in the other with an all rock album next.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • i think a band like the white stripes (where its pretty much all jack white) needs to go in different directions with albums. almost have instrumentally themed albums. the white stripes have limited resources with 2 people (one being consumed by drums), so if jack always wrote guitar driven songs, he would run out of creative ideas. doing stuff like this is healthy for the white stripes and will contribute to their longevity.
    knowledge is a tree
    it's growing up just like me.
  • The new album is AMAZING! I can't get enough of "Forever For Her (Is Over For Me)" I love the guitar ripping Jack but the mellower stuff on this album speaks to me besides there's enough of the good old Jack in "Red Rain," "Instinct Blues," and "Blue Orchid" to keep you pacified if you need a little kick.
    Be Sound...
  • i think a band like the white stripes (where its pretty much all jack white) needs to go in different directions with albums. almost have instrumentally themed albums. the white stripes have limited resources with 2 people (one being consumed by drums), so if jack always wrote guitar driven songs, he would run out of creative ideas. doing stuff like this is healthy for the white stripes and will contribute to their longevity.
    very true.

the same concept is applied to albums like No Code and Binaural and Riot Act where pearl jam approached writing in different ways.

Experimentation, whether you like it or not, is a nessecity for a band to grow and stay around.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • dont ask where i got this cuz i forget

but he uses the Big Muff over his OD on his fender amp
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    tmud91087 wrote:
    i beleive that on blue orchid there are two guitars being played in unison. i may be wrong but i read that on a white stripes website or something. however the new album is ridiculously amazing

oh yeah, there's two guitars with two different tones that work great in unison.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    DirtLikeMe wrote:
    Jack is using a Digitech Whammy to get the dual octaves on that song and for this reason it sounds like there are two or more guitars.

ok then, nevermind my last comment.