Keeley compressor

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
So keeley says its good for humbuckers. Yes no? You guys have said otherwise. Does the new attack thingy change this fact?

I have 1 single coil (bridge) 1 SD 59 humbucker (neck)

is this compressor for my guitar?
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    it's not worth the price quite honestly. i had one. perhaps with the attack control it's more flexible for humbuckers.

the barber tone press is a better buy and ultimately more versatile i feel.
  • who makes the barber tone press? Is it custom made like the keeley or mass produced.

So what do you use now for humbucker compression?
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
    ummmm barber.

handmade.

i have a maxon cp101.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Most people turn the compressor off when they use humbuckers on clean anyway, but if you are playing distorted stuff you can get some nice sustain. Here are the websites with samples.

http://www.barberelectronics.com

http://www.maxonfx.com

both are excellent it just depends on the tone you want. The Barber is a different idea all toegther. I love it.

If you are spending the money for the keeley I think I'd probably instead shop http://www.analogman.com. The wait for the Bicomp is a year but it's more for your money.

An Orange Squeezer might fit you well too. Eric Shannon makes a nice version and so does Analogman.

Robert Keeley is a nice guy, a good guy to deal with and the like, I just don't personally think it's the best value for the money. Compression is a subtle but extremely finiky and important effect when used properly.

You may also check out the Electro Harmonix Black Finger and White Finger.

I just don't know if you want to spend more than around $140.

At below that price, the Maxon or the Keeley are suburb. I think the Barber is more or less heavier on the volume boost than the compression which might make it work better with humbuckers. Check the soundclips anyway.

I know the maxon sounds great with single coils.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Most people turn the compressor off when they use humbuckers on clean anyway, but if you are playing distorted stuff you can get some nice sustain. Here are the websites with samples.

http://www.barberelectronics.com

http://www.maxonfx.com

both are excellent it just depends on the tone you want. The Barber is a different idea all toegther. I love it.

If you are spending the money for the keeley I think I'd probably instead shop http://www.analogman.com. The wait for the Bicomp is a year but it's more for your money.

An Orange Squeezer might fit you well too. Eric Shannon makes a nice version and so does Analogman.

Mike sent me an email on Monday. He just sent out the batch of Bi Comps from the Feb. 2004 list. I am 9 or 10 months out LOL
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    JofZ wrote:
    Mike sent me an email on Monday. He just sent out the batch of Bi Comps from the Feb. 2004 list. I am 9 or 10 months out LOL

Ha ha. If you want it now, there's a BIN on Ebay for $300 yeah it's a $75 premium but there's no wait either.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I think the Keeley is worth the price, but it's a tad limited. It's pretty much a new-and-improved MXR DynaComp. Which means it's great for chicken-pickin and fattening up a Strat or Tele.

The other compressors are more versatile, and can help work with humbuckers. Compression is a VERY subtle effect, and it's also a very difficult effect to put into a little metal box with a footswitch and a couple knobs. Rack-mount compressors (for live sound and recording) have controls for Threshold, Ratio, Attack, Release, and Output. Most guitar comps have controls for two or three of those, and either combine or fix the rest of the parameters.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    I think the Keeley is worth the price, but it's a tad limited. It's pretty much a new-and-improved MXR DynaComp. Which means it's great for chicken-pickin and fattening up a Strat or Tele.

yeah that's it. perfect. It is a very nice and clean dyna comp. Most of the guys that swear by it are former dyna comp users. Lots of squash, no volume pumping. Much clearer tone.
    too much squash.

i was reading through his e-bay ads. he's starting to sound like a ESL seller or something.

SUPER HAPPINESS FUN COMPRESSOR.
    exhausted wrote:
    too much squash.

i was reading through his e-bay ads. he's starting to sound like a ESL seller or something.

SUPER HAPPINESS FUN COMPRESSOR.

that's for the Japanese customers.

well that and the Nova Wah
    now the nova wah is cool if not too expensive.
    exhausted wrote:
    now the nova wah is cool if not too expensive.

yeah it's the updated yellow yee-haw.

it has been proposed that when he goes back to standard colors a cheaper version will come out.
    i love parked wah. it's so rad.

it's in my pod XT. :D that model sounds better than my vox and crybaby.
    exhausted wrote:
    i love parked wah. it's so rad.

it's in my pod XT. :D that model sounds better than my vox and crybaby.

I'm trading my Comp for a crybaby (maybe 2 I hope) that I can mod up the yin yang like yours. I've been a busy boy lately though.

It'd be really cool to play with parked wah and the DL-4.

The new Mars Volta album is a screaming endorsement for what the DL-4 can do. I'm not sure if they use it or not but it certainly sounds like it.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I'm trading my Comp for a crybaby (maybe 2 I hope) that I can mod up the yin yang like that. I've been a busy boy lately though.

it's fun. the pod model is just the basic wah. it's not the parked wah from the FM4 (which sounds brilliant too).

i still need to do the final tweaks to my crybaby in a box. it needs new pots etc. it's noisy as fuck but makes some really cool sounds once in a while.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I'm trading my Comp for a crybaby (maybe 2 I hope) that I can mod up the yin yang like yours. I've been a busy boy lately though.

It'd be really cool to play with parked wah and the DL-4.

The new Mars Volta album is a screaming endorsement for what the DL-4 can do. I'm not sure if they use it or not but it certainly sounds like it.

omar's got all the line6 modellers.
    exhausted wrote:
    omar's got all the line6 modellers.

omar certainly loves cacophonic occilation. That album is really cool.

Cedric's voice is like another instrument.