Mcreadys string size

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Does Mike use 9s? Just wondering. I have never learned a solo note for note cause I am against the idea but I have decided to learn ledbetter solo, it is helping me with my technique. I am finding some of the bends pretty difficult. Even with 2 fingers. To match the other note is not easy sometimes. I was wondering if Mike used 9s. It seems for the kinda blues rock he plays 9s would help alot. Is this the case?
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    10s i believe.
  • 10's eh?

That's what I have been using since I got my tele. I had it set up way to start with.

Like I said I have been having trouble with some of faster bends to hammerons in the ledbetter solo. I am gonna ssume mcready has about 2x the finger streangth that I do though.

I hate when the solution to my problem is hours and hours of practice :)

Why couldn't you have said "oh yah he uses 9's for sure!! that makes soloing way easier"
  • if 10's aren't working for you, then use 9's.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • I'd rather stick to 10's. If I switch to 9's to make things easier then want to switch back to 10s evetually for sound, I will just be back at square 1.

I figure its better to put in the hard work now and build up better finger strength and technique.
  • I'd rather stick to 10's. If I switch to 9's to make things easier then want to switch back to 10s evetually for sound, I will just be back at square 1.

I figure its better to put in the hard work now and build up better finger strength and technique.
    i gotcha.

i started with 9's and moved to 10's a couple years ago. I like 10's a lot more...and it won't take you long until it feels natural.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Mike uses GHS Boomers 10s.
  • I was using D'addario (sp?) 10's for a long ass time, then my other guitar player convinced me to try the GHS Boomers 10's. They sound good, but I have snapped two 3rd strings since I started using them, which was about 4 shows ago. I never snapped my D'addario's, so I'm switching back.
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Stevie Ray used 12's and 13's, even rumored to use 14's for stuff... but he also had to glue his fingers together each night to play. And he probably would've ended up with carpel tunnel after 10 more years of playing.

I play 10's, 11's might work, but I doubt I'll go higher than that.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • 14's eh, how would that even sound.
  • KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    like a tree, or is that just the diameter of the strings?
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    I used to use 14's, they sounded beautiful. If you're not going to be doing fast leads or a lot of bending, I reccommend them. But, alas, I had to go down to 13's because I needed to play faster and bend more in the band. When I had to go faster, I moved down in guages. Right now I use D'Addario 11's and they are perfect. Thick enough that I can attack them and not worry about breaking strings yet thin enough that Ledbetter isn't a problem. On my ibanez I have 9.5 D'Addarios, as Satriani is just way easier on those strings.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • Well, Iw ent home over easter and messed around with my bros strat. He has 9's on there.

I found it like heaven doing bends on that thing. I dunno if it's cause strats are more inclined for bending and blues type stuff? Or if it was just the 9s.

But anyway it was great fun playing around with a different guitar.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,281
    i don't own an electric yet (still fairly new). i've been playing an acoustic with 12s for over a year and a half. i love playing my friends electric with 10s. i can really fly on that thing...

i guess what i am saying is that i need to get a damn electric.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Well, Iw ent home over easter and messed around with my bros strat. He has 9's on there.

I found it like heaven doing bends on that thing. I dunno if it's cause strats are more inclined for bending and blues type stuff? Or if it was just the 9s.

But anyway it was great fun playing around with a different guitar.

The longer Fender scale length has a lot to do with that, too.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • jodijodi Posts: 183
    i play on 9s, never played on others..
    will give it a try though..
    There's a light,... when my baby's in my arms...
    And I know she's reached my heart,... in thin air
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    WiLL75 wrote:
    Right now I use D'Addario 11's and they are perfect. Thick enough that I can attack them and not worry about breaking strings yet thin enough that Ledbetter isn't a problem.

DAddario 11's!! My favorite strings.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    DAddario 11's!! My favorite strings.

Excellent choice. I don't think I'll ever change, I just hope that when I get my SG it can handle 11's. I heard that heavier guage strings don't mix well with the SG.
    8-8-09 Calgary
    My URL

• House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    WiLL75 wrote:
    Excellent choice. I don't think I'll ever change, I just hope that when I get my SG it can handle 11's. I heard that heavier guage strings don't mix well with the SG.

My SG had 11s on it. It sounded pretty good to me. Just be sure to get it set up for whatever string size you choose, a change can mess with the neck tension, or the nut setup.
    There's No Code.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    WiLL75 wrote:

i've got 11s on mine. it's swell.
    House53 wrote:
    My SG had 11s on it. It sounded pretty good to me. Just be sure to get it set up for whatever string size you choose, a change can mess with the neck tension, or the nut setup.

Yeah, when I get my luthier friend to set up the intonation he checks out the neck and truss rod and dials in the right amount. With that, I should be fine.
    8-8-09 Calgary
    My URL