My amps mystery knob (a.k.a presence)

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
What exactly does this knob do. I can hear a difference from it turned all the way one way to all the way another way but can't tell exactly what the difference is. It's a hiwatt DC40.
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    somewhat related to a tone control but affecting the power amp section i believe.
  • Hmmm, well I know alot of people just leave theirs at 12...

the mystery continues.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Hmmm, well I know alot of people just leave theirs at 12...

the mystery continues.

It makes a difference in the character if you will of the overdriven tone.

You'll find that you can get a little more sparkle with the presence boosted at nominal volume, or you can cut that out a bit to tone down brightness.

Essentially it's a character control.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Brightness eh...
    I guess that's how I'll treat it.

Thanks guys.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    It's a form of tone control that affects the frequency response of the amp. It's purpose is to adjust how much your sound cuts through the mix (giving your signal more presence, i.e. for solos, etc).
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • If I'm not mistaken, which maybe I am, the Presence knob basically controls the upper mid range frequencies of the signal. Therefore you can turn it down for a more mellow, bassier sound or crank it up for more punch and the ability to cut through the mix, as MIG explained. I keep mine around 2 o'clock.
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!