Ad9 Delay Up

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=39

There it is. 189 isn't that bad. But that is just for true bypass (which apparently isn't that easy to do to these things cause it takes up the battery compartment?) and some tone improvements.

The friggin dual expression pedal controls look wild eh!
Seems a little overboard if you ask me. He only has the price up for basic models right now. The dual pedal model isn't up yet, but it looks like it takes a hell of alot of modding. Almost like it needs a bigger enclosure.
I imagine when the price is up ina few days the dual expression model will be near 300US. Alot of dough.

I think I am just gonna go with the bypass for now.

what is that metal button for thats in the middle of the ibanez logo?
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    man that's ugly.

that's the true bypass switch on the logo.
  • HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,133
    that is a great pedal...i got one about 2 years ago ...then i traded it in for a line 6 echo pad (new)...at that time i didnt think it was that great of a pedal so i traded it, then i played it again at a friends house, and i didnt use it to its potential

but that AD9 sounded so fuckin good....that was a bad trade on my part, sounded like a good one

the best delays besides the Line 6 DL4 are Boss Analog Delay and Ibanez AD9
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
    "that's the true bypass switch on the logo."

Hey EX, why does it need a seperate switch for true bypass? Does that mean that the other switch (the regular footswitch) doesn't work at all? and the switch on the logo is THE only switch for the pedal? (like as in it is the on off switch?)

I agree it looks hideous. But sounds pretty cool.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    "that's the true bypass switch on the logo."

Hey EX, why does it need a seperate switch for true bypass? Does that mean that the other switch (the regular footswitch) doesn't work at all? and the switch on the logo is THE only switch for the pedal? (like as in it is the on off switch?)

That's right, it's not possible to use the original switch for true-bypass. So he eliminates the factory switch, drills a hole, and installs a new switch for true-bypass. So, yes, the new switch is THE switch, and the old switch is non-functional.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    i'm surprised he doesn't source the 4PDTs that maxon used in their AD-9 so he can avoid the hack job.

mind you, perhaps maxon has those made exclusively for them.
    SO do you guys think the dual expression pedals are a cool idea?

I think its cool in theory, or for me who just plays at home currently, but to carry those pedals, the delay pedal, + a Wah and OD to a gig.... insane.

And if a pedal board is your solution, still these things take up an awful lot of room.
    exhausted wrote:
    i'm surprised he doesn't source the 4PDTs that maxon used in their AD-9 so he can avoid the hack job.

mind you, perhaps maxon has those made exclusively for them.

I'd probably just get the Maxon. I love Keeley's TS's, but that delay is hideous. He should just get Hammond boxes and build to suit.
    And if a pedal board is your solution, still these things take up an awful lot of room.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/mccreadyisgod/Pedalboard.jpg

Sometimes you have to make sacrifices...
    SO do you guys think the dual expression pedals are a cool idea?

I think its cool in theory, or for me who just plays at home currently, but to carry those pedals, the delay pedal, + a Wah and OD to a gig.... insane.

line6 DL4..... with one expression pedal to do anything you can possibly want to.
    Yah well ready to be shocked?

189 for true bypass delay.

225 for true bypass + time control pedal.

!!!!!!399!!!!!! for the 2 pedal true bypass model!!!

How much is a friggin Maxon?

Heres the thing I am pissed about: If that ugly ass switch is only there to preserve the stereo out than WTF. I may just be naive but why does a guitar pedal need stereo out? I would have rather kept the nice Ibanez footswitch and lost the stereo output.

I will agree that it si hideous, but pedals aren't made to be pretty right?

I am gonna go find a price on the maxon. Oh and is Maxon a brand name? Or is it a mod name? Cause if its the former, how does maxon get away with stealing the exact look of the ibanez pedals?
    maxon *made* the ibanez pedals in the first place. they're $299US. true bypass but not exp jacks.

the fact that keeley's mod needs, 1) switches to activate the exp pedal and 2) modded exp pedals is ridiculous.

almost better off with a memory man or something for an analog delay.

and re: the stereo outs. splitting dry and wet outputs to different amps sounds quite nice.
    actually, i retract on the switches. that's a good idea.
    Yah I thought it was a little fishy that the pedals had to be KEELEY pedals. But all the apaprentyl lame things about this pedal considered, it seems like a great deal for a high quality analog delay. Still cheaper than the boss Dm3s on ebay.
    personally, i don't think the value is there but that's just me.
    I'd say get a DL-4 and use their analog patches. I've been telling my buddy that for two years (he uses a tempermental Memory Man).
    Well I am set on an analog delay. Is there a better option for the price? LIke does analog man do delay mods?

I don't wanna spend more than 215US
    Well I am set on an analog delay. Is there a better option for the price? LIke does analog man do delay mods?

I don't wanna spend more than 215US

http://buzzfox.com/el-dxmemman.html

analogman makes a couple mods to the maxon but it's still $300US.
    Looks very ineteresting. How do you think the memory man compares to the Ad9 DM3 etc?
    Looks very ineteresting. How do you think the memory man compares to the Ad9 DM3 etc?

The Memory Man is one of the coolest analog delays out there. Two big disclaimers: it needs 110v AC, no batteries or AC adapters; and it has huge reliability issues. The Edge (as in, guitar player for U2) used to use them exclusively for his sound. He needed two of them to play a show, but he carried a dozen or more and chose the best, most reliable two for each individual show. He's since converted to TC Electronics rack delays, unless he started using a DL-4 (I know he's started using the Line 6 distortion modeler).

My personal opinion is that you'd be better served by using the analog models in the DL-4. It's more reliable, gives you more options, and gives you the sound of an analog delay with a tap tempo.
    it's got an adapter now.

and i agree. that's why i traded mine for a DL4. but if he's stuck on analog....
    Well, I would never use an analog delay if it wasn't true-bypass. That's just WAAAAY too much noise.

At least TRY a DL-4 before you spend your hard-earned cash...
    all EHX are true bypass now.
    exhausted wrote:
    all EHX are true bypass now.

Really? Impressive.

One of the guitar players I work with uses a Danelectro Talk Back reverse delay, analog. Noisiest piece of crap... it's a cool effect, but it's just 15 dB of hiss when it's off.
  • Hmmm, I read that digital delays tend to have more noise. I read that somewhere in tha past 2 days, can't remeber where.

YAh I am totally turned off memory man delay. I am student with a guitar, if I get a delay it has to be sturdy and awesome.
    yeah. those ubiquitous blue 3PDT switches that came about shortly after fulltones? (apparently). those are made by new sensor (EHX).

my memory man wasn't TB since this was years ago and it was a piece of shit when bypassed.

YAh I am totally turned off memory man delay. I am student with a guitar, if I get a delay it has to be sturdy and awesome.

which is why we keep saying DL4 over and over again.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I'm just going to re-post DL4 once again.

I saw a guy using a H&K replex live the other day. Good pedal, yeah great pedal. you can get the exact same sound minus maybe a hint of warmness (tube) from a DL4. The difference is about $250 bucks. Oh sure the replex has an onboard reverb too, but it's essentially a tube driven multi head delay with reverb. The DL4 gives you a lot more flexibility.

He was playing through an HRD too. Very solid amp of course, but why spend $450 on a delay and another grand or so on Carl Martin boost effects when you could have spent 200 on a DL4 and probably took the rest to get a used Matchless and a solid OD.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.