A fingerboard question

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I was just wondering about Black Micarta as a finger board wood. I have never even heard of this before. It looks something like ebony.

Has anyone had experience with that wood?
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Well, actually, Micarta isn't wood. It's a composite resin material. You know where you see it a lot, is on black kitchen knife handles!
    It's used it for nuts and bridges, and a few manufacturers use it for fingerboards.
    I think one of Martin's models has a micarta fingerboard. I've never played one with, so I don't know what it feels or sounds like. I bet we'll see more materials like this as the ebony and rosewood trees disappear, or become more scarce.
    I have a few black micarta nuts laying around. It's easy material to work with.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

That sounds not so great.
    Why I ask is that the Martin 00-17 has fingerboard made of this stuff. I mean I can agree with the stoppage of mass produced guitars using rosewood cause we need our trees. But a slower factory like MArtin that doesn't pump out guitars like squire, I would expect them to keep using only rosewood and maple (or other woods).

Although the fact that martin used it on the 00-17 and D-17 models (which are fairly expensive acoustics) leads me to believe it is a pretty good sounding well charactered fingerboard material.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day