GHS fast fret

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey guys,

I went and picked up a thing of this stuff the other day for 9.25 CA. I have to say I love it. The other day I was practicing sliding into bends all the way up the fret board when my ring finger (my hammer on and bend finger for the most part) started to bleed. After that, everytime time I played with any sort of bends or slides (finger damaging type stuff) my finger started to bleed again, like it would reopen the wound.
So thats what caused me to try this fast fret stuff out. I must say I am completely sold. It makes playing painless and easier. It has darkened my rosewood too. I picked up some fender fretboard conditioner too but I dunno if I'll need to use it. It is really easy to apply, that glue stick like apparatus is perfect.
The only negatives I notice is that it makes your hands feel so greasy when your finished playing, which is not a big deal considering the positives. I can see how someone would find it makes you a sloppier player, but since I always used to find it harder to slide and I often undershot slides, it makes me just right.

Anyone else use this stuff (other than Pac, thanks for the idea by the way)?
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    having stuff on the strings/board that made my hands greasy would aggravate my OCD to such an extent my head would explode. :p
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I use it in lieu of fretboard conditioner as well. When I change strings I rub each fret and the nut with a tiny piece of very fine steel wool. then I go over the board with GHS Fast Fret inbetween the frets. If you use the little towel provided in the can you can reduce the greasy feeling. I kind of like how it feels. It also helps keep the strings clean.

My next miricle gadget will be some Big Bends Nut Sauce.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    That stuff is a great marketing gimic, but that is about it.
    Try using plain old lighter fluid. It is the best stuff to use to clean your strings and it will NOT damage your guitar, your fret board or the finish. Anything else is just asking for trouble.

If you doubt me, just try it once and see for your self, the difference is amazing and ligher fluid is super cheap.

On the other hand Big Bends Nut Sauce is the best stuff ever, use a minimal amount and you are good to go. There are some other similar products made by others, but they all do the same thing. Just make sure you don't use a ton of it.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    JofZ wrote:
    Try using plain old lighter fluid. It is the best stuff to use to clean your strings and it will NOT damage your guitar, your fret board or the finish. Anything else is just asking for trouble.

If you doubt me, just try it once and see for your self, the difference is amazing and ligher fluid is super cheap.

On the other hand Big Bends Nut Sauce is the best stuff ever, use a minimal amount and you are good to go. There are some other similar products made by others, but they all do the same thing. Just make sure you don't use a ton of it.

It's mainly naptha, that's true. But the wooden stick applicator makes it easier to apply than lighter fluid and there's less of a fire risk considering it's about 5 bucks and lighter fluid is 250 and I don't smoke, I usually go ahead and pay the 5 bucks you also have to use lemon oil or orange oil what have you to re-oil the board when you get done with the naptha. I rub lemon oil on my strat necks to darken them and make them slick. I don't mind a little oily feeling.

I sold my stuff and got it shipped out today,

SOS strings and an Emerald Green (or BBB) are on thier way soon.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZ wrote:

Actually Lighter fluid can damage your fret board because it strips all the oils out of the wood. Which drys out the fret board. Most of the time it won't hurt a rosewood fretboard because they are so naturally oily but with Ebony or maple you are just asking for trouble. I would definetly use some fret board conditioner on the fret board at least twice a year if you do use lighterfluid. Lighterfluid can also soak in and loosen inlays or glued in frets over time because it is a solvent. It should also never be used on maple necks because it can eat away the laquer finish. So I would use GHS fast fret because it won't hurt a damn thing and isn't a gimic.
    BriansGMC wrote:
    Actually Lighter fluid can damage your fret board because it strips all the oils out of the wood. Which drys out the fret board. Most of the time it won't hurt a rosewood fretboard because they are so naturally oily but with Ebony or maple you are just asking for trouble. I would definetly use some fret board conditioner on the fret board at least twice a year if you do use lighterfluid. Lighterfluid can also soak in and loosen inlays or glued in frets over time because it is a solvent. It should also never be used on maple necks because it can eat away the laquer finish. So I would use GHS fast fret because it won't hurt a damn thing and isn't a gimic.
    I guess we will find out :)
    I used to use the stuff and had it literally taken away from me by a friend and then he pointed me to a bunch of articles and all of them did a ton of research. I'll stick to the ligher fluid and my airconditioned home and I wont have any problems.
    Here are some articles:
    http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=723525

My point was in cleaning your strings which is really what fast fret was made or marketed for. Ligher fluid works a lot better. I have not read one thing that said Fast Fret was intended to be used as a fret board cleaner.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    JofZ wrote:
    I guess we will find out :)
    I used to use the stuff and had it literally taken away from me by a friend and then he pointed me to a bunch of articles and all of them did a ton of research. I'll stick to the ligher fluid and my airconditioned home and I wont have any problems.
    Here are some articles:
    http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=723525

My point was in cleaning your strings which is really what fast fret was made or marketed for. Ligher fluid works a lot better. I have not read one thing that said Fast Fret was intended to be used as a fret board cleaner.

I think I'd stick to just a cloth wipe down on the murph with the SOS's. ;)
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    It's mainly naptha, that's true. But the wooden stick applicator makes it easier to apply than lighter fluid and there's less of a fire risk considering it's about 5 bucks and lighter fluid is 250 and I don't smoke, I usually go ahead and pay the 5 bucks you also have to use lemon oil or orange oil what have you to re-oil the board when you get done with the naptha. I rub lemon oil on my strat necks to darken them and make them slick. I don't mind a little oily feeling.

I sold my stuff and got it shipped out today,

SOS strings and an Emerald Green (or BBB) are on thier way soon.

Woohooo!
    I bet you are excited?
    Get the EG and if you still have fuzz gas then grab the BBB, I think the EG will give you what you are looking for.
    BTW, I have never used lighter fluid near an open flame, but if I did I would be cranking Jimi and relivin Monteray LOL
    I think it is common sense to keep smokes away from ligher fluid, but then again fire is umm fun hehehe
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Pacomc79 wrote:
    I think I'd stick to just a cloth on the murph. ;)

Yep, I got a BIg Bends dust mit on the way, should do the trick nice and I can dust the tv and stuff when I am done LOL
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    Yep, I got a BIg Bends dust mit on the way, should do the trick nice and I can dust the tv and stuff when I am done LOL

you're getting to the point where your next guitar will be blessed wood used from a cross in a centuries old monistary. What's the word from the Mad Prof on the baby power scaler?
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    you're getting to the point where your next guitar will be blessed wood used from a cross in a centuries old monistary. What's the word from the Mad Prof on the baby power scaler?

No word in a week which means I should get a package anyday now :)

I think he is going to do it. I know he likes to either build amps or pedals and he has been doing a ton of pedals. He said each one can take a couple hours, and he is working like 18 or 20 hour days. So I am hoping once he is caught up he can devote some time to the project. He seemed excited about it and that is a good start. He had a very good point when I was getting off the phone with him, the Mad Prof is a 35-70 watt amp, scaled all the way down it is 35 watts, still too loud for me to buy, but very usable in most siutations. He has had a couple people ask him to go up and now I am asking him to go down. At the end of the day, it is the only amp I am aware of that can essentially nail any tone in your head, plus it can handle any tube and I know it is built like a tank.

There are some really great things coming from BJ so start putting your duckets away, I know I am :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    No word in a week which means I should get a package anyday now :)

I think he is going to do it. I know he likes to either build amps or pedals and he has been doing a ton of pedals. He said each one can take a couple hours, and he is working like 18 or 20 hour days. So I am hoping once he is caught up he can devote some time to the project. He seemed excited about it and that is a good start. He had a very good point when I was getting off the phone with him, the Mad Prof is a 35-70 watt amp, scaled all the way down it is 35 watts, still too loud for me to buy, but very usable in most siutations. He has had a couple people ask him to go up and now I am asking him to go down. At the end of the day, it is the only amp I am aware of that can essentially nail any tone in your head, plus it can handle any tube and I know it is built like a tank.

There are some really great things coming from BJ so start putting your duckets away, I know I am :)

yeah, tell me about it. GAS is in full effect. I'm selling everything. I've got two amps that have been downstairs for a month.

I'm thinking of trading the DL4 too for a whammy or a Fuzz Factory or a wiggler. I'm going to go with Bob Sweets new vibe when he gets it out.
    you're not selling the orange right? please say you're not. it's the chorus and that bass amp that are going?
    exhausted wrote:
    you're not selling the orange right? please say you're not. it's the chorus and that bass amp that are going?

The chorus and the bass amp. I'd love to get 200 dollars out of the pair.

Orange = Cold dead hands though I have been considering upgrading to a AD30HTC and a cab with two to 4 Heritage 30's. Unless by some stroke of success or lunacy I come across a Matamp :)

I'll always be shopping tweeds and BF fenders but it might be a while before I buy them.

I miss the fullness of a closed back 4x12. I need to upgrade my speaker cables, I'm losing a lot of dynamics with the Mini Mass engaged and I need to make everything George L's up front.

Any time I start thinking of dumping the orange....I know it's time to change the strings and turn off the attenuator.
    phew. good answer. :)
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah, tell me about it. GAS is in full effect. I'm selling everything. I've got two amps that have been downstairs for a month.

I'm thinking of trading the DL4 too for a whammy or a Fuzz Factory or a wiggler. I'm going to go with Bob Sweets new vibe when he gets it out.
    Mo Fo Vibe :)
    It will be good, I have the mojo and I think if you have the room it is the bomb.
    You want a FF? You like this one?
    its on the far left:
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b291/JofZ/IMG_0566.jpg
    1 off Zach did and I have not used much at all.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    Mo Fo Vibe :)
    It will be good, I have the mojo and I think if you have the room it is the bomb.
    You want a FF? You like this one?
    its on the far left:
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b291/JofZ/IMG_0566.jpg
    1 off Zach did and I have not used much at all.

yeah sure, trade me strait up for my DL4 ;)

speaking of room.....
    paco, unless you want the craziness of the FF and not just the fuzz of it, have a look at the tweakfuzz.

more cost effective and more musical to my ears.
    exhausted wrote:
    paco, unless you want the craziness of the FF and not just the fuzz of it, have a look at the tweakfuzz.

more cost effective and more musical to my ears.

at 99 bucks I could buy one outright too. I'll have a look next time I make it to GC, might save some pennies too. I wonder what the main differences are between that and the Saraceno version.

My next quandry, what to do with the DD. I want to try an LTD and a Tone Press and a Launch Pad and a Burn Unit EQ. Now, there's a mod PCB on David's custom shop page to add trimmers to my DD for 40 to 60 bucks. There's also a new BarbEQ that you should really check out for the Pro Jr. It adds Blackface controls to 5E3 Tweeds.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    at 99 bucks I could buy one outright too. I'll have a look next time I make it to GC, might save some pennies too. I wonder what the main differences are between that and the Saraceno version.

components (both Si instead of one Si and one Ge) and the TLC that goes into the handmade stuff.

but the tweak is solid and honestly, i get more sounds out of it than the FF. the FF was a great noise maker and i'm sure i'll have another one some day. the tweak has a much greater range though.
    My next quandry, what to do with the DD. I want to try an LTD and a Tone Press and a Launch Pad and a Burn Unit EQ. Now, there's a mod PCB on David's custom shop page to add trimmers to my DD for 40 to 60 bucks. There's also a new BarbEQ that you should really check out for the Pro Jr. It adds Blackface controls to 5E3 Tweeds.

the launch pad is ideal if you're feeding two channels of a blackface or switching clean/dirty amps (boosting the dirty). probably better offerings out there for solely clean boosting a single channel though. i still like my HAO rust booster. then again, get the launch pad and you're good to go if/when a second amp enters the picture.
    exhausted wrote:
    components (both Si instead of one Si and one Ge) and the TLC that goes into the handmade stuff.

but the tweak is solid and honestly, i get more sounds out of it than the FF. the FF was a great noise maker and i'm sure i'll have another one some day. the tweak has a much greater range though.

the launch pad is ideal if you're feeding two channels of a blackface or switching clean/dirty amps (boosting the dirty). probably better offerings out there for solely clean boosting a single channel though. i still like my HAO rust booster. then again, get the launch pad and you're good to go if/when a second amp enters the picture.

I may go with an HAO rust booster or a sole pressure or the ROAR or a LTD or if im feeling saucy an URSO splinter.

I may actually get a pedal from local hero Nick Greer. The Sonic Boom is cheap and cool.

and Fulltone has some cool new offerings too. 10th anniversary Mosfet FD2.
    OCD etc.

The super chili picoso is the loudest I know of at 25db.

I wonder if the tweak, could be tweaked with a good NKT 275.......hmmm.

here it go, http://www.tonefactor.com/proddetail.php?prod=sonicboom

there's also a mullard oc44 powered treble boost for $130.

The super chili picoso is 35db of clean boost at the same $130 I think about the same as the rust booster.
    i'd imagine you could change the transistors in the tweak as long as the polarity matches.

the sole pressure might be too dark for the orange. possibly.

the rust booster doesn't have that huge amount of gain like the chile etc. also has a slight bit of hair in the upper settings.

basically, there are too many choices and you'll go insane. :)
    exhausted wrote:
    i'd imagine you could change the transistors in the tweak as long as the polarity matches.

the sole pressure might be too dark for the orange. possibly.

the rust booster doesn't have that huge amount of gain like the chile etc. also has a slight bit of hair in the upper settings.

basically, there are too many choices and you'll go insane. :)

no kidding. It's fun though. I wish I could find a physical store that just sold accessorys, pickups, pedals, strings etc. A couple of audition rooms. What a great business Idea.
    it would be better than this fucking job.
    exhausted wrote:
    it would be better than this fucking job.

What's on the ducket today G? Oh I've got a box full of TS9's to sort through and mod, build some custom AB boxes and a bitching match with Mike Fuller this afternoon......:D

A physical place where you could find all the boutique stuff and George L's, Evidence, Lava, monster, planet waves, etc would kick ass, not to mention the fun of working there.
    that looks awesome.
    exhausted wrote:
    that looks awesome.

indeed, 25v internal too so it's clean.
    i love the sound of the pro jr. in the air but i'm having a bitch of a time mic'ing it. i have no idea why. it's really weird.

yay for pods.
    exhausted wrote:
    i love the sound of the pro jr. in the air but i'm having a bitch of a time mic'ing it. i have no idea why. it's really weird.

yay for pods.

mig should be able to help with all the VC experience.