Orchestra model acoustics?

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
So is the only difference in orchestra moidels the bigger neck? My fender DN has a 1.68" neck at the nut, the orchestra model (like the martin OM 15) has a 1.75" neck at the nut. Is there any other differences?

I have had a difficult time finding info on the OM 15.
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    OM is a body style designations. i don't think it has anything to do with the neck.

there is no martin OM-15. there is an cutaway OMC-15E though. and an 000-15.
  • Yah the OM 15 stopped being made in 2002. I think that was the last year they produced them. It looks like a 00-15 but I assume the body is bigger and that weird wider fingerboard.

Cause aren't auditorium bodies the 0 00 000 series?

So my question then is what is the difference between the 00 000 etc. series of guitars and the OM, other than the wider fretboard?

The 000 15 is a smaller version of the 00 15. I wonder if the OM was simply the same as a 0 15 (body size wise) and with a wider fingerboard also.

I'll try and find some specs for the om 15
    http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000518.php
    in martinland, the 000 and OM are the same bodywise.

http://mguitar.com/guitars/features/shapes.html

the neck profiles of a few models i selected at random (14 fret models) were all 1-11/16"
  • Thanks for that info X,

From what I can tell from that info the difference between the OM and the 000 is just the neck width, which I am sure is 1 3/4 for the OM 15.

My choice is between the 00 and the 000 I suppose. I dunno why I thought the 00 was the larger.

My only problem with the 000 is that it might not be different enough from my dreadnought bass wise, and feel wise. It has a body length very similar to that of the dreadnought, but it is significantly shallower and a bit less wide.

My concern with the 00 is that it might be so small that I start to lose tone. I am gonna try some out at long and mcquade, and the OM 15 is local.

What opinions does everyone have of these guitar bodies...
    my two six strings are a concert body and an an OM.

i absolutely love the feel of the OM body but both are very comfortable. sound wise i find my OM brighter with more focused bass than the concert but that's more a function of the fact that the OM is rosewood backed and the concert is mahogany i think.

i really don't like dreads. much too big.

at one point, i had ordered myself a 000-15 but they screwed it up and brought in the 000-15M (the 12 fret version) so i never even played it.
  • Interesting you say what you said about your concert body being mahogany.
    Am I to take this to mean that mahogany gives a less defined sound? I understand it to be less bright and a warmer tone than say, the spruce top I have now. I also counted on the OM or 00 body giving me tighter bass than my booming dreadnaught. Is this a correct assesment you think?

All the guitars I am looking into are solid mahogany on all sides with a satin finish.
    mahogany would be warmer for sure and i suppose that could be defined as somewhat less defined. the two guitars complement each other well though. i usually double acoustic tracks and pan one to the left and use the other guitar panned to the right.

i would think the 00 or OM would be much less boomy than the dread for sure.