New strings, whats it gonna be

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am starting a survey of strings. I am gonna try a bunch of different brands so I can pick my favorite and buy it in bulk. So tommorow I change my strings, what brand should I start with?

I am getting 10-52 I guess. Play a tele into Hiwatt, blues rock/punk type stuff.

What do you guys think I should get?
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i've played GHS boomers for years and never felt the need to change for what it's worth.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    DR "Tite Fit" or "Hi Beams" if you like a louder formula.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Well,

Right now I may have Dadario on there I'm not sure. But it's been 2 years and they haven't broke, so whatever they are they might rule.

Anyway so this month it's GHS boomers, Next switch it'll be DR High Beams.

question: there is so much shit built up on my pickup cover for the humbucker, what can I clean it with?
  • Well,

Right now I may have Dadario on there I'm not sure. But it's been 2 years and they haven't broke, so whatever they are they might rule.

Anyway so this month it's GHS boomers, Next switch it'll be DR High Beams.

question: there is so much shit built up on my pickup cover for the humbucker, what can I clean it with?

im almost disgusted, 2 years!!!
  • :)

Yah I know it's pretty bad by most standards. First of all I don't (can'T?) change my own strings.

I am learning to do it with this pack of GHS tommorow. 2nd of all I am not the tone critic many of you are. I don't find my 2 year old strings to sound bad, but maybe thats just because i have never had new strings to compare them to.

maybe when I switch I will no longer have rust on my fingers after everytime I play?
  • I too am a GHS Boomers fan.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    :)

Yah I know it's pretty bad by most standards. First of all I don't (can'T?) change my own strings.

I am learning to do it with this pack of GHS tommorow. 2nd of all I am not the tone critic many of you are. I don't find my 2 year old strings to sound bad, but maybe thats just because i have never had new strings to compare them to.

maybe when I switch I will no longer have rust on my fingers after everytime I play?
    you will notice a major difference, like they wont have two years of skin, sweat and god knows what else on em. i thought i was bad, my acoustic has had the same ones for 11 months
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Save yourself a lot of time and money. Buy Snake Oil Strings, and your quest will be over before it starts.

:)
  • I'm using D'dariro .11- .52s. Best move I've ever made. I've finally got control over my vibrato. I got through a pack of strings about every 3 weeks, but that's because I rock out so hard that I get all sweaty and they start to corrode. ;)
  • I use 10-52 guages on my Fender Jazzmaster, they work great with the Bigsby I installed. I also have a De Armond I'm fixing up a bit presently that I use 9's on for faster leads and quicker bends.

Meanwhile, I have a Strat I'm building, and the guages are an interesting mix, copied from Hendrix's string setup. Here it goes:

.009 tenor banjo string (high E)
    .010 (B)
    and the rest is a standard 10 guage setup.
  • i like dean markley...blue steel...but I play a lot of neil, so...that might be it
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    I have a Taylor 314 CE acoustic guitar, and I use Elixir Light Strings 12-53
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Once you try Snake Oils you wont switch back.

sobstrings.net
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • K Now I need the same suggestions but all acoustic. It has had the same strings for 3 years, no joke, maybe 2.5. Now these strings are clearly filthy. I am willing to spend whatever here, I want them to be really awesome sounding strings. I already have the elixer suggestion. Any others?

Heres an interesting note. My friend emediately asked if they never broke when I told him how old they are. What is funny is I really pund out chords on my acoustic. I am very purcussive with it, and they have never broke.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I use Martin M150 Mediums on my acoustic and I like them.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i found everything but the elixirs go dull really fast. but i prefer that sound most of the time.

so i have old d'addario phospor/bronze mediums on my 6 strings and elixirs on my 12 string.
  • I like GHS Boomers, too! I was using 11's a lot, but now I'm using 10's again a bit. My fingers are getting a bit worn out after all these years. Don't forget to do stretching and take care of your fingers and wrists!
    When I played every night I used to use D'Addarios because they were ok, and cheap, and I changed them every day or two, so long lasting didn't really matter much.

Acoustic I'm liking the Elixers now. They changed the formula a bit and they last longer, so the cost is justifyed now. That company (Gore) is right near me and I just met a dude in my neighborhood that works for them.
    I'm going to give him some guitar lessons in trade for strings. :cool:
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

So I went to string up my electric with the GHS boomers. I got the job done ok, although I had to muck around alot to figure out where to start winding a string at. Anyway my crappy tuner + my tone defness caused me to snap high E. It scared the shit outa me. I was just winding it up and playing it as I did, and SNAP.

Arghhhh can you buy singles of High e?