Options

SG vs Strat

outontheporchoutontheporch Posts: 172
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Who would win in a fight to the death? And SG or a fender stratocaster?

I think a strat. The SG's look real cool, and have a nice warm sound, but a strat is super reliable and would probobly wail and solo the head off the SG.

Ed plays an SG but i dont think hes unlocking its full potential.

Mike plays a strat and is god.
"I forgot the F***ing song."
- Eddie Vedder, San Francisco 7-16-06, after botching Sometimes, the night's opener

http://people.ucsc.edu/~mquery/pics/pujolsFTW.JPG
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    That wussy little headstock on the SG would snap like a twig. Clearly the strat wins.

Well if people were swinging them I might bet on the SG cause it actually looks like an axe.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Not a fair question because it depends who is play the respective instrument.

Comparing Eddie and Mike on guitar is like comparing water and soda, only thing in common is that they are both wet.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Mike Plays both. He uses a green SG junior on "Go"

Ed, more than likely has played them both as well.

Pete Townsend began his career playing SG's and he is currently playing Fender Stratocasters.

It's apples and oranges. Each is a comfortable excellent guitar for rock and roll.

I could not choose one over the other.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by puremagic

Comparing Eddie and Mike on guitar is like comparing water and soda, only thing in common is that they are both wet.

Good one!:D

*goes downstairs to the "Bob Testing Laboratory" again. Plugs in SG to his brother's 100 watt Marshall again, for the 3rd time in one week. Then plays same thing with Strat*
    I suck at both!

The solo doesn't come from the guitar. It comes from the guitarist.

I think unlocking the full potential from a guitar starts from the soul. All the other material aspects of it are important, but come later.
    Actually, though, I do love soloing on an SG for rock. Blues I just love my G&L Legacy (strat).

I know my guitars well, though, and in a guitar swinging match, the strat would hold up better. Those maple necks are hard wood and more club like.
    The SG is lighter and is more versatile for accurate aim, and like missyouallday says, is more axelike!:)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I would have to take the SG... it is the embodiment of rock 'n' roll... look at Angus, Iommi, TOWNSHEND.

Young Townshend was much more viscious and agressive than older townshend... that's just how it goes.
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Yeah, who's gonna win? Angus Young or Buddy Holly?

I'd pick a Tele or a Gibson Explorer in battle.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    I agree on the tele... pretty solid and tough. Plus, I would take Keith Richards in a fight over most mentioned... if the drugs haven't killed him how can another person expect to?
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by House53
    I agree on the tele... pretty solid and tough. Plus, I would take Keith Richards in a fight over most mentioned... if the drugs haven't killed him how can another person expect to?

you can't kill kieth richards.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    you can't kill kieth richards.

Hit him over the head with the old BC Rich Battle Axe, that might do it, if not, playing it might make him wanna die.
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen

• Options
    It's been proven that the only creatures that can survive a nuclear winter will be certain species of beetles, and Keith Richards.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Onstage, Hendrix mainly played a Strat, but he alternated during his career between two Flying V's and a white SG, for his blues playing. He used a white SG for most of his live renditions of Red House in later 1968 and early 1969: In fact, there's black and white videotape footage of Jimi playing this guitar at a gig in Stockholm in January 1969. The SG is very good for capturing a warm, flutey sound with its humbucker pickups that the more trebly Strat can't quite capture.
  • Options
    Originally posted by House53

Have you seen "gimme shelter", when he's yelling at the Hell's Angels?

Maybe Keith Richards swinging a Flying V. That would be as dangerous as a jouster in a suit of armor swinging a mace!
    Be kind, man
    Have you seen "gimme shelter", when he's yelling at the Hell's Angels?

"Yeah man, we're like splittin' if those cats don't stop beatin' up everybody in sight...I MEAN ITTTT, MANNNNNNNN."

Did you notice that the heavy mob didn't fuck with him the way they did Jefferson Airplane earlier in the day?

Well, I say Strat for rock...SG for blues.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    It's been proven that the only creatures that can survive a nuclear winter will be certain species of beetles, and Keith Richards.

He'd turn to the beetle and say "Y'know, I stomped on your aunt back in the day" and take another swig of whiskey.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    Originally posted by Echoes
    He'd turn to the beetle and say "Y'know, I stomped on your aunt back in the day" and take another swig of whiskey.

"And I smoked your uncle..."
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    "And I smoked your uncle..."

Well, It's starting to look like the winner of the SG/Strat contest is Keith Richards!
    Most of you all probably have heard this quote by him is: " what it takes to be a guitarist?
    5 strings, 3 fingers, two hands , and an asshole."
    Be kind, man
    - Eddie Vedder, San Francisco 7-16-06, after botching Sometimes, the night's opener

http://people.ucsc.edu/~mquery/pics/pujolsFTW.JPG