determined to learn slide guitar

KwyjiboKwyjibo Posts: 662
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm a pretty decent guitar player, been playing for about 3 years. I can play a little lead here and there if I need to. But I'm really determined to learn slide guitar, but I really really suck at it and don't know where to start. I know about all the open tunings and stuff, but I still really suck. do any of you masters out there have any advice?
The most remarkable thing about you standing in the doorway, is that its you, and that you're standing in the doorway.

I write down good reasons to freeze to death in my spiral ring notebook. But in the long tresses of your hair--I am a babbling brook.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Pick up the Warren Haynes instructional video. It won't turn you into Warren Haynes, but you'll get solid technique instruction from one of the best.
  • goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    The hardest part is usually the guitar. It's much easier with a nice high action guitar. Also don't force it on the neck, you gotta be gentle with it.
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen

• puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    enharmonic wrote:
    Pick up the Warren Haynes instructional video. It won't turn you into Warren Haynes, but you'll get solid technique instruction from one of the best.

Along with ---

Derrick Truck
    Duane Allman
    Bonnie Raitt
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • eric sardinas is god at that
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • MetalGod75MetalGod75 Posts: 262
    goto_l wrote:
    The hardest part is usually the guitar. It's much easier with a nice high action guitar. Also don't force it on the neck, you gotta be gentle with it.
    Too true.And also mute the strings you're not playing with either your fretting hand or picking hand
    Cornell pwns u
    eric sardinas is god at that
    And so was George Harrison RIP
    Cornell pwns u
  • KwyjiboKwyjibo Posts: 662
    MetalGod75 wrote:
    Too true.And also mute the strings you're not playing with either your fretting hand or picking hand

yeah, actually I just figured that one out while I was playing last night

ever hear Travellin' Riverside Blues (led zep version)?

that's some mean slide guitar

I'm trying to learn it but its a little more than I can chew yet.

the basic 12 5 0 3 5 3 0 is easy enough but its still a tough song to handle.
    The most remarkable thing about you standing in the doorway, is that its you, and that you're standing in the doorway.

I write down good reasons to freeze to death in my spiral ring notebook. But in the long tresses of your hair--I am a babbling brook.
    Kwyjibo wrote:
    yeah, actually I just figured that one out while I was playing last night

ever hear Travellin' Riverside Blues (led zep version)?

that's some mean slide guitar

I'm trying to learn it but its a little more than I can chew yet.

the basic 12 5 0 3 5 3 0 is easy enough but its still a tough song to handle.
    Thats a good tune but In My Time Of Dying is THE one:)
    Cornell pwns u