Learning the Piano

Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
edited February 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I don't know how to play any instrument except the drums. I love them, but they're really loud and I'd like to learn something else; something to play when I want to be somewhat quiet. I thought about buying a guitar, but my girlfriend actually has a nice piano. I'm thinking maybe I should learn to play that first. I'd ask her to teach me, but she's not actually that good (I hope she doesn't read this : ))

Where should I start; should I start with a book or lessons? I know nothing about reading music...all that A, B, C flat stuff, because drum tabs don't have any of that.

Also, is piano fun at all once you get the hang of it, or should I go straight to the guitar?

Any help or thoughts are appreciated.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Piano will help you out with any instrument you play. My mom has one and used to teach (though she never taught me so I learned by ear ;)). Anyway, I'd honestly get lessons since you have no other professional musical background. A book alone might not do the trick. If you enjoy it, piano can be fun later too because you're always gonna be able to learn something more. Also, It'll teach you good discipline. The drawback with lessons is that you HAVE to play when the teacher comes over-even if you don't want to. That's why I never got lessons. However, I'd say it's a pretty cool thing to learn.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • jecicajecica Posts: 954
    You picked one of the hardest instruments to learn. Progress is slow but rewarding. Start with an Adult Beginner Piano book and see how you like it.

I have played the piano several years off and on and just switched to mandolin. Much easier.
    Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.... (Voltaire)
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I think the piano is fun once you know how to play it. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • jecica wrote:
    You picked one of the hardest instruments to learn. Progress is slow but rewarding. Start with an Adult Beginner Piano book and see how you like it.

I have played the piano several years off and on and just switched to mandolin. Much easier.
    Mandolin is easier!?! Man! That's almost as tough as the Banjo!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • justam wrote:
    I think the piano is fun once you know how to play it. :)

:D Man, I can play the hell out of a guitar, but sit me in front of a piano and out comes Louie Louie and chopsticks! I wish I would have learned way back when. You learn to read music much faster with piano than guitar and that transfers to all the other instruments you play, too.
    I love the sound of a grand piano.

It would be great to take lessons from Justam! :)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    many frets the guitar has. I struggled with piano in school because the guitar is laid out completely differently (guitar deals
    with both horizontal & vertical). I'd get confused when I would play piano because "all read notes are only found in 1-place"
    which should have been easier to do, but I found it difficult since I couldn't associate it with my guitar. All Music Maors have
    to pass a "Piano Proficiency" test to get their Music Degree (I had to, but it's not like I can still play piano - AT ALL).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫