Starting to learn guitar... please help a noob.

Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
edited April 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok, I'm one of those people who thought they could never learn an instrument, but I put all that behind me and I'm really going to try.

My main question I am left handed... would it be better to get a left handed guitar or force myself into the right handed world and play guitar like all the normal folks (lol) I am VERY left handed, my right hand is nearly retarded.

I plan on learning on an acoustic guitar.... I haven't gotten one yet but I have access to one (right handed)

Next question, aside from professional lessons, what is the best way to teach yourself guitar... I am a visual learner so anything with good visuals will help me out tremendously.

Thank you.

- Steve
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    if you are VERY lefthanded, then you need to play guitar left handed. I am lefthanded, but I golf, play baseball, etc righthanded. and playing guitar right-handed. I do other things, like write and use spoon/forks, fondle myself, etc with my left hand. but if you do all these things left-handed, you're better learning to play with your left hand.
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    Play left-handed. There's nothing wrong with that.

And I'd re-consider taking lessons. If you get a good instructor, they're well worth it.
  • butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    As for the lefty/righty thing, I recommend trying to find a lefty guitar at a store to try. If you can't find one, there's your answer. if you can, grab one and a righty and see how different they feel. If you make make do with a righty, I would consider it as it will open up more possibilities for you.

As for learning, there are so many resources available today. Look for some books, or DVDs that appeal to you. Maybe find a teacher. In the meantime I would:

learn the open major/minor/7th chords

(this will get you playing some songs right off the bat. Like Betterman for instance)

learn movable chords, barres, etc.

learn the notes on the fret board, and how chords are made, like find the C triad all over the fretboard.

learn the major scale

Go forth and play, and create joy.
  • Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Thanks guys...

I have picked up guitars in the stores before and right handed feels more natural... however im not sure if it should feel how it does....

in your opinion is it more important to have a stronger picking hand or a stronger hand for moving along the neck?

also anywhere online to pick up good priced left handed acoustic... they seem a lot more $ than right.
  • StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
    Thanks guys...

I have picked up guitars in the stores before and right handed feels more natural... however im not sure if it should feel how it does....

in your opinion is it more important to have a stronger picking hand or a stronger hand for moving along the neck?

also anywhere online to pick up good priced left handed acoustic... they seem a lot more $ than right.

It's whatever feels most comfortable to you. Hell, Jimi Hendrix played left handed, there's nothing wrong with it, aside form the fact that it kay be harder to find some models of guitars that ar eleft handed.

As for the picking, fretting hand, I'd say both need to be pretty strong, but obv your fretting hand will naturally become stronger over time.

Here's some good left handed acoustics on musiciansfriend.com, check them out. You should be able to find some reasonably priced beginner models. Check through the different brands on the side, because some of those ones on the first page are higher end and more expensive.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/left-handed-acoustic-electric-guitars?N=100001+330617

For visual learning, an instructor would be good, but also try looking into one of those lesson books that include a DVD, they can be really helpful as its like having an instructor that you can rewind and fast forward.

Try this one, its pretty good. It'll have you playing stuff like the beach boys fairly quickly rather than mary had a little lamb. http://www.amazon.com/Beginner-Guitar-Lessons-Level-Book/dp/0976048744/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207774986&sr=1-1

Good luck! Be patient and stay with it and you'll never regret it.
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    MLC2006 wrote:
    if you are VERY lefthanded, then you need to play guitar left handed. I am lefthanded, but I golf, play baseball, etc righthanded. and playing guitar right-handed. I do other things, like write and use spoon/forks, fondle myself, etc with my left hand. but if you do all these things left-handed, you're better learning to play with your left hand.

fondle myself lol

I do everything with my right hand, but I'm left footed for example kicking a soccer ball
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    Good luck! Be patient and stay with it and you'll never regret it.

Probably the most important advice!
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Drew263 wrote:
    Probably the most important advice!
    I agree...and if you're in a band, you can quit and play with yourself....I know, I know, bad joke.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Hey Stephenflow,

I play the bass, as it just ended up be MUCH easier for me I couldn't get the power/bar chords well enough for guitar. However, I tried Guitar and play bass strung for the right handed. Reason being is that I was advised by my Dad that most people (not all) play right handed so I decided to go with the right handed bass playing.

It was honestly I the best decision in playing for me. My right hand is weaker so I use that for strumming and picking.

I use my left hand for holding down the notes on the frets. It's worked out really well for me. I have pretty much just followed internet tabs, but I am hoping to take some lessons to familiarize myself with the basics once I can afford it and work it into my schedule. Best of luck. Play right handed honestly cause if your left hand is stronger it will be best for chords.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    red mos wrote:
    Hey Stephenflow,

I play the bass, as it just ended up be MUCH easier for me I couldn't get the power/bar chords well enough for guitar. However, I tried Guitar and play bass strung for the right handed. Reason being is that I was advised by my Dad that most people (not all) play right handed so I decided to go with the right handed bass playing.

It was honestly I the best decision in playing for me. My right hand is weaker so I use that for strumming and picking.

I use my left hand for holding down the notes on the frets. It's worked out really well for me. I have pretty much just followed internet tabs, but I am hoping to take some lessons to familiarize myself with the basics once I can afford it and work it into my schedule. Best of luck. Play right handed honestly cause if your left hand is stronger it will be best for chords.

thanks, this is what i have been leaning towards.
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    Funny, I have nothing to do on a Saturday and my roommate is out of town. I was thinking about trying to learn to play myself on his guitar. I'm not trying to be Jimi Hendrix by tomorrow morning, but how long does it take to pick up on some stuff? I hear music very well though I can't play anything. I took piano lessons when I was a kid, but I was kicked out of that school for mooning my teacher- I was a devil. That spelled the end of my music career.

But I think I'm gonna start today, how long did it take you to learn?
  • TwigsterTwigster Posts: 39
    thunderDAN wrote:
    ..how long did it take you to learn?

You NEVER stop learning!!

Took me a couple weeks to get the changes between D, C, G open chords.
    That was the first chord progression I learnt.
    Brixton Academy, London: 14/07/93
    Wembley Arena, London: 29/10/96
    MEN Arena, Manchester: 04/06/00
    Air Canada Centre, Toronto: 05/10/00
    ISS Dome, Dusseldorf: 21/06/07

Brad: Phoenix Theatre, Toronto: 31/10/02