Les Paul or SG?

jdecker12jdecker12 Posts: 41
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm in the market for a new guitar and I have it cornered down to either an Epiphone Les Paul custom or an Epiphone SG custom. I like the looks of both and there's a $200 difference in price from the LP to the SG, but that's not a big deal. So in the opinion of the guitarists on here which should I go for?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I say the SG looks better.

WHy is there a 200$ difference in epiphone guitars? Weird.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • jdecker12jdecker12 Posts: 41
    I don't know why there is. It's not quite $200, I just rounded up. The LP I am looking at is $600 and the SG is $420
  • i think the lp's look way better. i would go with that but not just for looks.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
    Originally posted by PJamGrunge10
    i think the lp's look way better.

I like the looks of both, so that's not an issue.
    i would go with that but not just for looks.

If not just for the looks what else. I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out here. Action, sound, etc which is most likely better? I've checked out Harmony Central (http://www.harmony-central.com) and I get mixed reviews for both guitars and basically all of them say "It's no Gibson" but I don't have the money for a Gibson.
  • I thought I saw a GIBSON faded SG special for like 650$ in Musicians Friend. I would probably get this instead of an Epi...and I play and EPI Les Paul...(they did'nt have the specials on sale when I got mine like 5 yrs ago)
    www.myspace.com/evenflowrocks

heathen frog psycho number ONE!
  • There are different Gibson LPs and SGs out there that have their own merits. For playing blues, though, I'd have to go with the SG.
  • BONESBONES Posts: 11
    I thing the LP has a bigger gruntier sound, but thats just personal opinion. The best thing is to try them out yourself.
    Ooooh - they have the internet on computers now.
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    I would recommend buying an Epi at a shop and not online. That way you make sure you aren't getting a dud. Go thru all the guitar tests before making the purchase (play varying types of music, play it unplugged, play each note on each fret to search for fret buzz, play it in a couple of amps, play it standing up to check the balance, examine each fret for bad filing/sharp corners).
  • I personally lean towards the les pauls. I have an epi les paul special edition(flame maple top & bigsby style epi tremolo) and I love it. I haven't played sg's a lot, so I can't really comment on them, but I can say that I really like the feel of my Les Paul. I also own a Strat which I like to play on certain songs, but I would definately say my main axe is the Paul.
  • for me it comes down to personal preference. are you an SG man or an LP man? play them and see what you think.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    It all comes down to preference. If $600 is all you can afford then I would go with the Ephiphone Les paul...Just because some of them look similar to the Gibsons...and I like playing Gibsons. I would then probably put new pickups in it....Like actual Gibson Humbuckers or a set of PRS's.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • eCioeCio Posts: 23
    i saw the faded special gibson line around 600$ on http://www.music123.com and if you live in the usa u also get free delivery...

i would go with the sg special faded in the dark wood finish.... looks awesome! and as a proud member of the gibson family it also sounds fucking great
  • meraphixmeraphix Posts: 15
    Les Paul of course. Epiphones make great Les Pauls, but not so much on the SG side. If it was between a Gibson SG and a Gibson Les Paul, I would go for the Gibson SG. Agnus rules right...?

I have an Sg and I couldn't be more happier, but it's a rubbish Vintage VS6 copy. Not ideal, but decent enough and has great tone. Something worth the money for £200. Not bad though. I have a low budget and so finding the money is difficult.
    ÎÒ߀ÊÇ»îÖø¡±µÄ - ²»ÍüÓ›ÄÇ...There aint gonna be a middle no more...ÊÇÄãºÍ²»ÈκÎÈËÁíÍ⣬ÄãÊÇ¿¿×Ô¼ºµÄÁ¦Á¿µÄ¡£Äþ«ÈAºÍ²»·Åé_Ëü¡£
  • have you looked into the Epiphone elitist series? they are very nice and are made out of better wood and hardware than the regular epis. they are a couple of hundred $ more but as soon as you plug in to an elitist you know where that extra $ went. I have an epiphone LP standard that i hot rodded out with better hardware and seymour duncans and it was my main guitar for 3 years. a few months ago I almost bought a white epiphone elitist les paul custom but I was able to get a steal of a deal on a honeyburst gibson LP standard, which i have been dreaming about since i was 11 years old. if you have a little extra cash, but not gibson type cash, look into the elitist series.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    The elitsts are really nice, but out of my price range. $600 is about all I can afford right now with school and bills. After reading a bunch of reviews I think I'm gonna go with the LP, either the LP custom, or the LP Goldtop reissue with the p90s
  • good call. the other guitarist in my band just got a gibson lp goldtop 3 weeks ago or so. it is an amazing guitar. sounds like you're making a great choice.

In your opinion, if you can make a definitive statement, which one sounds better. My plan is to go into Sam Ash megastore in Raleigh and try them both out, but which should I look forward to more?
  • yielderyielder Posts: 160
    if you have the money for an LP you'll better take the LP
    if not you take the sg....
    sounds the same...
    looks different
    Greets Dave
    Antwerp -Belgium- Europe
  • Originally posted by jdecker12
    In your opinion, if you can make a definitive statement, which one sounds better. My plan is to go into Sam Ash megastore in Raleigh and try them both out, but which should I look forward to more?

i am a les paul person, i have tried to play sgs but they just don't do it for me. it is purely subjective, but i have always played LPs (epiphone and gibson) and there is just something about their feel and their tone. they just sound fatter to me. not to mention they are heavy as hell so it feels like you have an extra 10 pounds strapped to your body. so to answer your question, i personally would look forward to playing the LP. you should too.....

Originally posted by gimmesometruth27
    i am a les paul person, i have tried to play sgs

sorry, I should have been clearer. Which sounds better between the LP Custom and the LP Goldtop w/ the p90s? Which of those 2 LPs should I look forward to more?
  • imo, goldtop baby!!

• soapyrowssoapyrows Posts: 235
    sg's all the way man!
    EVENFLOW MEMBER #009 and i'm LOVIN the new PJ!!!! avacado all the way!!

i know someday you'll have a beautiful life,
    i HOPE you'll be a star,
    in somebody elses sky, but why, why, why can't it be, why can't it be mine?!
    Originally posted by soapyrows
    sg's all the way man!

sorry...already narrowed it down to the other 2. SG will most likely be next time around though... :D