Options

question about Epi LPs

jdecker12jdecker12 Posts: 41
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm considering buying the Epiphone Les Paul Custom (the Ebony with gold hardware). Anyone have any experience with this guitar? Is it worth the money? As a broke college student, I'm wondering anyone's opinion before I drop that much money into a guitar. Thanks in advance.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    There are people on this board a lot more experienced then me, but I played a few (not customs), and they all felt very cheap. I ended up buying a schecter c1 plus, and am extremely happy with it. It has the dual humbucker sound, and I think it is made a lot better.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    62strat62strat Posts: 638
    check yoru pms...
  • Options
    i have an epi lp standard which i think is gorgeus. its in honeyburst and has a seymour duncan invader in the bridge and now sounds unbelievable.

i dont really think you can do better value wise than epiphone.

i actually reviewed my epi on harmony-central.com so check it out:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Epiphone/Les-Paul-Standard-01.html

mines the sixth one down (i think. the one purchased from soundmove music), feel free to email me with any questions.
    `_``` _```
    |`|```|`|``
    |`|```|`|``
    |`|_`_|`|_`
    |`|`|___ `|
    |`|_|_|`|`|
    \`````` _/
    `|``````|``
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    General opinion around here is that Epiphones are pretty good, but not a Gibson. For the money, it's a great guitar. The only real problems worth noting is that the tuners suck, but a new set can be obtained, and the bridge saddles can be a pain in the ass to keep smooth. The Epi Elites are really nice, actually, and worth every penny. The other great thing is, while the stock pickups are usually pretty good, it's also really easy to drop $150-300 on a new set of pickups (or $75-150 for a single) and customize the sound. I had an Epiphone '57 Les Paul reissue, and I loved the shit out of that guitar.

Also worth checking out: Gibson Faded guitars, like the Faded Les Paul:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040125195033150131025144201119/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/517199/
    Faded SG:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040125195033150131025144201119/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/517222/
    Faded DC:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040125195033150131025144201119/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/517512/
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Thanks MIG and Brain of J, all the info is great. I would love to buy a Gibson MIG, but I'm gonna have a hard enough time affording the Epiphone. If I were to get new pickups, what would the best bang for my buck be?
  • Options
    There are a lot of options for replacement pickups. I would personally suggest Gibson '57 Classics or Burstbuckers. Seymour Duncans are also great options... the '59, the Seth Lover, and the JB are good models. But without knowing what you're looking for, it's hard to suggest anything.
  • Options
    You'll do fine with that guitar.
    Like MIG says, the tuners usually aren't great, but they do work and later you can always get some that will fit in the same screw holes.
    Then when you play for a while, you can scope out new pickups. Seymour Duncan makes great ones. You can listen to them on the website.
    The one thing you have to watch with them, is that they each are a little different. Try to sit and play the one you want, and look it over for loose frets and hardware, the neck joint and make sure it "feels" good. Also, the frets sometimes aren't trimmed at the edges along the edge of the neck, and will be different on every guitar.

Good luck
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    There are a lot of options for replacement pickups. I would personally suggest Gibson '57 Classics or Burstbuckers. Seymour Duncans are also great options... the '59, the Seth Lover, and the JB are good models. But without knowing what you're looking for, it's hard to suggest anything.

The Seth Lovers are 57 classics. Seth Lover invented the humbucking pickup that went into the 1957's this P/U is also called the PAF "Patent Applied For" because of the sticker on the back of the pickup. Seth Later left Gibson and helped Seymour out. Ted McCarty was president of Gibson at the time and he was kind enough to help out Guitar legend Paul Reed Smith with his development thus the creation of the very Les Paul like Ted McCarty model.

Burstbuckers are basically 57 classics with a few extra winds on the magnet leading to the fat loud snarly tone the 59 Les Pauls are famous for.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    The Seth Lovers are 57 classics. Seth Lover invented the humbucking pickup that went into the 1957's this P/U is also called the PAF "Patent Applied For" because of the sticker on the back of the pickup. Seth Later left Gibson and helped Seymour out. Ted McCarty was president of Gibson at the time and he was kind enough to help out Guitar legend Paul Reed Smith with his development thus the creation of the very Les Paul like Ted McCarty model.

Burstbuckers are basically 57 classics with a few extra winds on the magnet leading to the fat loud snarly tone the 59 Les Pauls are famous for.

Which is why I love every single one of them.