Overdrive pedal?

jdecker12jdecker12 Posts: 41
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
In the opinion of the guitarists on this board, which overdrive pedal is best for the money?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Why the SHANNON Overdrive pedal is kickin ass for me lately. the guy who makes them is telesonic on this board. I think a few of us have one and everybody seems to like it. search for threads about this.
    www.myspace.com/evenflowrocks

heathen frog psycho number ONE!
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I'll second the Shannon Overdrive. It is excellent.

However we need a price range. How much do you want to spend?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • TelesonicTelesonic Posts: 222
    in my biased opinion, i too will recommend the Shannon Overdrive. you can visit http://www.shannon-effects.com to at least see what it looks like. my site isn't much right now, but i'll hopefully have some sound clips up soon. you can check out harmonycentral.com to see the reviews i have so far, or talk to evenflowrocks, pacomc79, or who's_pearljam. they have all played it. and thanks for the mention guys.

but like paco said, what is your price range? what type of sound are you going for?

i'm selling my OD for $140.00
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Ok, I'll chime in.
    The one I like is the Shannon Overdrive! It is the best one I've ever played. (Or reMEMber playing!:))

To me the price was way worth it, because it you can finesse a lot of different sounds out of it rather than having a whole array of overdrives laying around.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Custom builders mod versions of the pedals (TS-9's) and offer them for around $150 a pop.

The Fulltone Fulldrive 2 (another popular favorite) is around $200.

Shannon's only real competition is other boutique builders. He uses the same good components they do and the soldiering and internal work is flawless even if the jacks are mounted to the board :D Electrons don't care. A completely custom unit with the gain and variety of tones available at your finger tips for $140 is a very good deal. I believe it to be substantially better than any mass produced effect as it does clean boost and at the maximum gain setting through my Orange has the nicest little hint of fuzz. Also, there is something to be said for having a pedal that no one else has, not to mention that you know the builder.

If you can't spend $140 we'll discuss others. Under $100 maybe the best deal is the Boss Blue's Driver.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • jdecker12jdecker12 Posts: 41
    $140 may be a bit high, but I'm not sure yet. It's hard to say what expenses I will have over the summer. I will definitely look in to the Shannon though. Thanks for all the advice thus far.