Gibson les paul special...or special faded

offaroundthebendoffaroundthebend Posts: 107
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
i was interested in buying a gibson les paul special..they have them in the faded version too....both come with
Pickups:
490R alnico magnet humbucker at the neck
498T alnico magnet humbucker at the bridge

any thoughts on this guitar and or the pick ups????..they are selling for about $700
Its My BLOOOOOOOOOOOD!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Faded = hideous and dent magnet.

I have seen many a SG faded and am never impressed.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • told you they come in non faded too...and was asking about the sound and tone..not the looks...anyone ever play one?
    Its My BLOOOOOOOOOOOD!
  • I have been curious about these too I played a one of the Mahogany ones the other day, it was pretty good.
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
  • Sorry I didn't realise what you meant, your question was very vague
    "any thoughts on this guitar and or the pick ups????.."
  • think it sounded like other very expensive les pauls? it has the same humbuckers as some models
    Its My BLOOOOOOOOOOOD!
  • meaning what do you think about the guitar..and the pickups in the guitar??
    Its My BLOOOOOOOOOOOD!
  • ShwnShwn Posts: 37
    I have a faded special, I got it as a refurb for $500. It was well worth the price, it has a very fast neck, and a really good chunky sound with the rythm setting. When you go with the neck pickup it screams. I don't see how the faded finish is hideous, and it makes it better for me since I'm a a fairly aggressive player and my guitars take a lot of abuse. The finish makes it harder to see the little scratches all my guitars get. I don't know what kind of music you play, but for the harder rock and metal that I play it does the trick nicely.
    "One day we will all be in the soil with no gods to slave to, and no heroes to kill for"
    -Between the Buried and Me
  • "I don't see how the faded finish is hideous"

I can see it apealing to the heavy gigger. But my problem with the look of it is it looks like someone left their half finished guitar lying around in the shop.

I can definately see the the appeal of it, just I don't mind a shiny good looking guitar.

In the end sound matters and if it sounds great, like really cool, fuck the looks.

But I don't think many guitarists will deny the notion that, say, a teal SG special looks better than a faded SG.

I think looks wise, especially when its a big hunk of wood like a Les Paul, it is more significant to have a nice finish on there.

And if what you can afford is a faded LP by all means go for what you can. I am a poor person myself :)
  • The only faded i would recommend buying is the Faded DC special. Those are great rockers if you like those damn skinny necks..... If only that came in a fat neck, i would be all over one of them.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix