Options

why the hel do i break my strings so freakin much!!?!?!

binauralonthecapebinauralonthecape Posts: 257
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
i get real pissed about this, 'cause whenever my buddies and i jam....im always breakin my high E??? what the fuck is the deal??? is it they way i strum??? im usually using a .10 string there, is that too light???? someone please shed some light on this terrible habit i have......
8.29.00-4.29.03-4.30.03-5.2.03-7.2.03-7.3.03-7.8.03-7.9.03-7.11.03-9.28.04-9.29.04-10.1.04- 10.2.04-10.3.04-5.12.06-5.24.06-5.25.06
...i know all the rules but the rules do not know me, guaranteed...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    you are either strumming to hard. Ripping it with your fingers or the pick Or your bridge has a burr in it. What kind of guitar do you have?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    les paul epiphone
    8.29.00-4.29.03-4.30.03-5.2.03-7.2.03-7.3.03-7.8.03-7.9.03-7.11.03-9.28.04-9.29.04-10.1.04- 10.2.04-10.3.04-5.12.06-5.24.06-5.25.06
  • Options
    Originally posted by binauralonthecape
    les paul epiphone

Ah. So you have a Tune O Matic bridge with a stop bar.

Its a pretty common problem you have there.

Get a magnifying glass and examine the saddle on under the E string on your bridge. I'll bet you there's a burr. One your probably strumming to hard so try a lighter pick size too. To get the burr out take a small piece of steel wool and rub it in the saddle. That should smooth it out.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Ah. So you have a Tune O Matic bridge with a stop bar.

Its a pretty common problem you have there.

Get a magnifying glass and examine the saddle on under the E string on your bridge. I'll bet you there's a burr. One your probably strumming to hard so try a lighter pick size too. To get the burr out take a small piece of steel wool and rub it in the saddle. That should smooth it out.

My Epi Les Paul had this problem as well... I ended up getting a Gibson LP bridge and replaced the saddles with GraphTech graphite saddles, which are softer and easier on the strings than the steel saddles, so burrs don't develop and break your strings.

I also used to strum like a mofo... you develop a touch, eventually... I haven't broken a string in probably four years, and I have year-old strings on a couple guitars that don't get played as often...

Paco's solution is the quickest, cheapest and easiest to come by, though. Start with that... but keep in mind what I said... graphite saddles and a little less braaaaaang on the strings...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    My Epi Les Paul had this problem as well... I ended up getting a Gibson LP bridge and replaced the saddles with GraphTech graphite saddles, which are softer and easier on the strings than the steel saddles, so burrs don't develop and break your strings.

I also used to strum like a mofo... you develop a touch, eventually... I haven't broken a string in probably four years, and I have year-old strings on a couple guitars that don't get played as often...

Paco's solution is the quickest, cheapest and easiest to come by, though. Start with that... but keep in mind what I said... graphite saddles and a little less braaaaaang on the strings...

where did you by these Graph Tech saddles for Les Paul I can't seem to locate them. Also I have deduced that you must be Sir Galahad because that bridge is the holy grail. All Tune O Matic bridges should come like this standard.
  • Options
    where did you by these Graph Tech saddles for Les Paul I can't seem to locate them. Also I have deduced that you must be Sir Galahad because that bridge is the holy grail. All Tune O Matic bridges should come like this standard.

I sent my guitar tech on a mission... it took two weeks, but they found them. Like I said, though, I had to get a Gibson bridge because they couldn't find saddles for the Epiphone version. I was surprised there was a difference...

I do love the Tune-O-Matic, myself, as well... better than a string-thru, better than a string-over, better than a tail-over. It's my favorite bridge-tailpiece arrangement, by far. It's why I have such an affection for the 1956 Les Paul... last year of the P-90's, but the first year for the stop tailpiece.
  • Options
    I sent my guitar tech on a mission... it took two weeks, but they found them. Like I said, though, I had to get a Gibson bridge because they couldn't find saddles for the Epiphone version. I was surprised there was a difference...

I do love the Tune-O-Matic, myself, as well... better than a string-thru, better than a string-over, better than a tail-over. It's my favorite bridge-tailpiece arrangement, by far. It's why I have such an affection for the 1956 Les Paul... last year of the P-90's, but the first year for the stop tailpiece.

I wish I could find the saddles. THe Graph Techs are absolutely perfect for that set up. They don't buzz because they are non conductive and they don't break strings. The sustain out of the Tune O matic + stop bar is simply brilliant. Ted McCarty was a really smart guy. I do want a Bigsby too one day. Grestch Tennessee rose would be nice.
  • Options
    If they're breaking at the bridge get graphite like those guys said.
    They might be breaking at the nut, that could be a cause,too, or even the way you wrap the strings at the tuning pegs might be a culprit.

Ernie ball strings always break on me.
    Try different strings, too, there are different qualities.
    If you're playing hard, try GHS boomers, or DR strings.

Nothing stops them from breaking if you're really punishing them by strumming hard.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    If they're breaking at the bridge get graphite like those guys said.
    They might be breaking at the nut, that could be a cause,too, or even the way you wrap the strings at the tuning pegs might be a culprit.

Ernie ball strings always break on me.
    Try different strings, too, there are different qualities.
    If you're playing hard, try GHS boomers, or DR strings.

Nothing stops them from breaking if you're really punishing them by strumming hard.

Ernie balls break on me too. I love DR's.

Take the same piece of steel wool and clean the grooves and the top of the nut too. You can also clean the frets with this technique. Then take some fast fret and condition the fret board. Works really well for me on my LP.
  • Options
    I forgot to even mention... yes, the problem is located at the place where the string is breaking. Unless it breaks at random spots, which means you play too hard. I just assumed bridge because that was my problem...

Come on, Paco, you've got Atlanta... I have Kalispell, Montana, and I got graphite...

Don't listen to Bob, though, he's a senile old bastard...
  • Options
    I'll have to go to the website. I guess.

http://www.graphtech.com/product_display.asp?SearchType=brand&brand=StringSaver

here they are.....$27.95
  • Options

Don't listen to Bob, though, he's a senile old bastard...

Hey WTF

I'M NOT OLD!
    Be kind, man
    Hey WTF

I'M NOT OLD!

See? He's in denial...
  • Options
    I'll have to go to the website. I guess.

http://www.graphtech.com/product_display.asp?SearchType=brand&brand=StringSaver

here they are.....$27.95

Imagine that... huh... a "web site." Huh. And you can find things, and maybe even buy things there? It sounds like a magic place...
  • Options
    Imagine that... huh... a "web site." Huh. And you can find things, and maybe even buy things there? It sounds like a magic place...

Oh indeed. I had no Idea I could buy them direct but I'll probably let someone else install them so I don't have to mess with the intonation.
  • Options
    Oh indeed. I had no Idea I could buy them direct but I'll probably let someone else install them so I don't have to mess with the intonation.

Yep. If you want something done right, KEEP YOUR FUCKING HANDS OFF IT! Hehehe...
  • Options
    See? He's in denial...

Hey I'm kind of near de Nile

I'm really near de Niger river right now!
    Be kind, man
    Hey I'm kind of near de Nile

I'm really near de Niger river right now!

Oh, that was painful...
  • Options
    Oh, that was painful...

Hey, whaddaya expect from an old bastard like me!

Hey Paco,, you should be able to put'm on yourself. intonating is pretty easy.
    Be kind, man
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • Options
    thanks for the information...ill def check that out, it sounds like that might me it, again, thank you
  • Options
    thanks for the information...ill def check that out, it sounds like that might me it, again, thank you

I'm sorry... who are you?

What was the question?
  • Options
    I'm sorry... who are you?

What was the question?

haha....are you kidding>?? i started this thread....just saying thank you for the people answering my question.....hehe, sometimes its hard to pick up on sarcasm here....
  • Options
    haha....are you kidding>?? i started this thread....just saying thank you for the people answering my question.....hehe, sometimes its hard to pick up on sarcasm here....

Yeah, I recognized you... just giving you a hard time.

So you understood our thoughts? Are you a licensed psycho-therapist?
  • Options
    in training.........
  • Options
    Especially Bob... nobody understands Bob...
  • Options
    yeah, so i played last night....didnt break a string, i had just put on new strings, the dean markley steel blue strings, i really like them, maybe that was the reason, i was using ddariaros before and i had also used erine ball regulars ......so hopefully its just nothing more than that....
  • Options
    The Ernie Ball strings do tend to break easy...