Options

rig setup question

dude_man_24dude_man_24 Posts: 20
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
does anyone in here try to mimic mike or stones setup. i know i do. i have a ts-9, phase 90, ibanez sonic distortion, dunlop 535 Q, ernie ball volume, boss dd-5(haven't gotten the dm 2 yet), and a rotovibe(havent got the univibe but whats the difference? lol)........i think thats about it. anyone else have this fetish? lol
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    cmon.....someone gimme some feedback!
  • Options
    goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    a rotovibe is nice, but some of them have almost no volume for the effect. I use mine but only with a boost behind it so that I can hear the sounds. A univibe is good, but get the Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere. I have it & it's the closest you'll come to a real leslie speaker. It's got a few more variables than the univibe & is much more quiet. It's honestly worth more $$$ than the univibe is. So will tell you the voodoo vibe or micro vibe pedals are good, which they are fine in their own ways, but nothing is as good as the H&K, which Mike is using himself now. Also if you can find a nice analog delay, or a digi-simulator of one that sounds good.
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by goto_l
    a rotovibe is nice, but some of them have almost no volume for the effect. I use mine but only with a boost behind it so that I can hear the sounds. A univibe is good, but get the Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere. I have it & it's the closest you'll come to a real leslie speaker. It's got a few more variables than the univibe & is much more quiet. It's honestly worth more $$$ than the univibe is. So will tell you the voodoo vibe or micro vibe pedals are good, which they are fine in their own ways, but nothing is as good as the H&K, which Mike is using himself now. Also if you can find a nice analog delay, or a digi-simulator of one that sounds good.

I second the H&K, the Univibe is a bad copy of a Leslie speaker so bad that happens to sound cool and phasey the best versions are definately not built by Jim Dunlop I happen to love the one built by Dave Fox, the rotovibe effect isn't pronounced enough. The Rotosphere is warm and tube driven like a leslie and you can ramp it up and down like the real thing. Much more level than the rotovibe. The Rotosphere is warm and round ala Stevie Ray Vaughn and Peter Frampton.

I think the most important parts of mikes sound lately are the Rotosphere and the various delays that he uses, it can be accomplished easily with the Line 6 DL-4 that he used on the last tour.

A nice warm tube amp is an essential. Preferably british. Especially EL-34 equipped amplifiers especially Marshal JMP's. But KT-88's and EL-84's are a good substitute.

You'll also want a warm speaker like Vintage 30's or Green Backs.

one amp you might check out that might suit you on the other end of things is the Fender 59 Bassman or with 4 10" speakers

This is a 40 watt amp equipped with alnico speakers that sounds lovely. With the pedals you have now it will do a very nice job at achieving the tone you want at a less expensive price and a more manageble rig.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Kind of... When I'm done it will be a mix of the various PJ members... Kind of like this:

Teese RMC2 (Not PJ) --> MXR Phase 90 (Mike) --> Boss TR-2 (Not PJ) --> Ibanez TS-9 (Mike & Stone) --> Fulltone Distortion Plus (Stone) --> Line 6 DM-4 (Mike and Stone) --> Hiwatt DR504 (Ed)

With a Jazzmaster going into it for some personal flavor :D
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    You still lack a Poly Chorus. I'd like to emulate Mike or Stone someday also, i their set up, but I don't have the money and the will... yet.
    Ha ha I've a custy