tendonitis

mogwaimogwai Posts: 141
edited November 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
have you ever suffered by tendonitis?i have a problem in both hands the last month and i am currently visiting a physiotherapist.I'd like to exchange information and tips with anyone that knows something about this unpleasant situation.
"You stay classy San Diego" Ron Burgundy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mogwaimogwai Posts: 141
    i am glad to see that no one else has or had problem with his hands
  • Well, I did run my right hand thru a table saw a couple years back, but that's not exactly tendonitis...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    You guys make me want to know what tendonitis is very badly.
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
    coz u can't play guitar for a long period of time....
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I have a friend with that problem. When he would play his hands would burn the whole next day. He was incredible too. SO unfortunate. Unfortunately not playing and not typing etc are the only therapy. I've had it in my elbows, not fun at all.

Sorry Mogwai
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • i got tendonitis in my left knee from running track. I don't think it ever goes away.
    Cincinnati '03 Flooded venue!
    Bridge School '06 Night 1 & 2
    Venice '07 pummeled by the sleet! 
    Nijmegen '07
    Werchter '07
    April Fools ~ LA1
  • I had it briefly for a few months while pregnant. I type a lot on the job, then played guitar at night...I was doing myself in. Thankfully, after I had my baby, the tendonitis disappeared. What did help? NO GUITAR. Hate to say it, but I put it away for 4 months and didn't experience the pain that accompanied it. I couldn't stop typing, that's my job and pays the bills...but the guitar got shelved. I missed it but it really was a bitch putting up with the pain. Anti-inflamatories also helped.
    "you're the only one who cannot forgive yourself"

"model role-model no dumma dah...fuck"
    Satan's Bed 5/3/03

• http://health.yahoo.com/health/centers/arthritis_pain/1229.html

Above is a link that you may find useful on the subject of tendonitis. My pal suffers with tendonitis and uses alot of the techniques listed to relieve the pain. Hope it helps.
    Roamer, wanderer, nomad, vagabond. Call me what you will. I'm still a bum
    i am on a therapy the last 6 weeks and hope that in two or three weeks i'll be able to touch again my strat.right now iam searching for any books related to injuries that afflict musicians and especially guitarists...if you know any i'll be glad to hear..
  • I've had it. It will go away, but you have to alter your playing posture when you get back to playing.

I used to get it when I was a young rocker, guitar slung around my knees, grabbing the neck at awkward angles.

I kept getting it until my friends and I studied guitar with Robert Fripp. His technique is a bit funny looking, but it changed the way I practice.

I learned from him that when you practice, hold the guitar up high almost right under your neck, with a strap, so that your wrist is parallel to your arm, and sit straight up. It's the distortion of the wrist that contributes to tendonitis, so you want it to be in a natural position in relation to your forearm. The guitar should be balance so that it stays in position without your hands on it if possible.
    Also, he was insistent on me learning to use the minimal amount of finger pressure on the neck when fretting notes. It's amazing how little you need. Keep your thumb behind the neck and barely touching the fret board so that you're not squeezing tightly.
    For the right hand, he uses minimal motion, too. The picking motion comes from the wrist, and the palm isn't touching the strings unless you're muting them. That was weird to learn, but play like that al the time now. You can barely see his when he plays.

When you minimize the movement and stress on the hands like that, and learn proper stretching exercises, it makes a big difference. You can practice longer, or with less stress on the body. Guitarists, ( me included ) tend to hunch into one position for a long time, especially when practicing, and that's what helps to cause muscle fatigue and carpel tunnel and tendonitis and all that other stuff.

Now this ain't exactly stage presence. If you ever see Fripp play, he's sitting on a stool on the side of the stage, ripping incredible solos in the dark.
    But for practice at home, it was invaluable for me, and saved me my tendons and bones and whatever else is in there! Then you can spend your time on stage in a rock and roll posture!

Wow, that seemed like I was writing a term paper! Hope I pass!

Good luck! Get well.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    I haven't gotten it yet, thank God. Part of good piano technique is learning how to use your wrists and hands in ways that are as natural as possible so that even repetitive movements don't damage you.

But, some people I've known have had problems from over-practicing or playing with a lot of tension or by using stiff or awkward positions.

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. :(
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    Thank you all for your participation...
  • When I was in therapy for my hand, they had me dip in hot liquid paraffin... I always really enjoyed that. I think they make paraffin baths for consumers...
  • i've had something that wasn't as bad as tendonitis. .i can't remember what the name is...
    but its much the same... maybe it was just mild tendonitis.. LOL

anywho
    it kills

i found for me it was a combination of overpracticing (piano) and over typing (computer) to the point where i couldn't do it anymore because it hurt so badly

getting a good wrist support for when you're on the puter isn't a bad idea... its hard to play anything musically with a wrist support on.. though it can be not tooo bad for practicing..

or taking a break for a while from both

i found that very difficult lol
    :)

anywho
    i hope you feel better soon
    TROGDORRRR!!!!!!!
  • I use a natural keyboard, so that helps with the typing... if you type a lot, that might be a good $40 investment.
  • hmmmmm
    very interesting

cool

is that one of the curvy looking keyboards?

that question may have sounded ridiculous, and for that i am sorry. lol
    TROGDORRRR!!!!!!!
  • Yes, it's a curved keyboard shaped to relieve your hands of stress. They're weird for the first day, then you get used to it and every other keyboard feels stupid, so out of alignment. I love mine to death! I can't believe people use standard keyboards anymore.
  • Do they make a curved ergonomic piano keyboard?
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Yes, it's a curved keyboard shaped to relieve your hands of stress. They're weird for the first day, then you get used to it and every other keyboard feels stupid, so out of alignment. I love mine to death! I can't believe people use standard keyboards anymore.
    I really liked using the curved keyboard at work, but then I got home and it was really awkward, so you gotta have a curved keyboard at home AND work in order to not confuse yourself too much LOL

also, a trackball mouse is pretty cool. that I can switch back & forth between the trackball and a "regular" mouse.

:) ames
    I think that motherfucking tendonitis is returning.I played for 3 hours yesterday and today I don't feel like playing at all.What the fuck is going on with my hands?I tried some SRV soloing just to play with my picture wah and now my hands are fucked up again.Take care of your hands guys...Streching is the key
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    i'm with who's_pearljam on this posture and stretching exercises are the key. That includes the arm and neck. Tom Morell's a good example, ugly stage presence, but if you look at him play, he is using his entire arm, not just his wrists, say like metal rockers.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • parchyparchy Posts: 205
    Originally posted by puremagic
    i'm with who's_pearljam on this posture and stretching exercises are the key. That includes the arm and neck. Tom Morell's a good example, ugly stage presence, but if you look at him play, he is using his entire arm, not just his wrists, say like metal rockers.

Pure, I ask again...

Do you know a guy named Jason Johnson?
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.