Options

picture wah problem

mogwaimogwai Posts: 141
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
My picture wah makes a terrible hiss when it's on and I am playing in low volume.Especially when it's pressed forward.The hum is so strong that even if i mute the guitar and move the pedal back and forth u can hear the hum being wah-wahed.Till now i hadn't played in low volume the wah and hadn't noticed the problem.Is it sth normal or not?My crybaby didn't do that noise!
"You stay classy San Diego" Ron Burgundy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    what are you powering it with?

and drop a line to teese.
  • Options
    With a 9V battery.
  • Options
    Hi,

Chances are very good that the close proximity of the amp to the pedal is the cause of the problem. Inductor based wahs are sensitive to electromagnetic interference. This EMI can be caused by many things, such as power transformers in amps, power cables, TV/monitor screens, electrical wiring grounding issues, and more, just like single coil pickups in Strats. A wah circuit, when actice, will try to effect the signal being fed into it. If no "sound" is being fed into it, the circuit will amplify the background noise. You'll need to try the wah at a different location, under more nominal playing conditions, before being able to determine what is the actual hum source.

Geoffrey

That's what geoffrey wrote but I don't even want to think about the possibility that this is caused by the single coils...It would be illogical...OMG I think i am getting a stomachache!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i wouldn't doubt it. my single coils picked up huuuuuuuuuuge amounts of noise. so much so that i now have humbuckers in both my fenders.
  • Options
    I have a lone star strat.It has a Seymour Duncan pearly gates on it.The noise exists even when i am using that pickup!
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i wouldn't doubt it. my single coils picked up huuuuuuuuuuge amounts of noise. so much so that i now have humbuckers in both my fenders.

Stacked humbuckers are the best thing that happened for Strats since Leo Fender.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    I just found out that my switch is defective too!!!That's the way aha aha I like it!!!It feels like beeing fucked up...All these are objectionable for a 250 euros priced wah pedal...I had seen 2-3 reviews describig incidents like mine in harmony-central but i didn't pay as much attention as I should...
  • Options
    Ok mr.teese is giving me a great feedback at this moment.He is really a nice guy as everybody else has said before.The only problem is that I'll have to be paying more money to send it from greece to the states to replace all the parts apart from the case,wires and jacks...He also said that he'll repair for free an original clyde mccoy that i'll be sending him...Nice guy but I'll have to wait till I enjoy his work
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    he should fix it for you. It's probably picking up EMI from around the room.

Geoff is a good guy, he'll fix it. That's why you pay 250 euros.

If you bought a VOX or a Crybaby you're sunk fixing it yourself.

It just needs some EMI sheilding just like the foil underneath your pickguard.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    I guess so...I'll just have to wait for 2-3 weeks to have it back...
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    sorry about that mogwai. I feel kind of bad now having recommending it but I think Geoff can get it right. I know he'll work hard to make you happy.

Unfortunately the unfortunate side effect of inductors is that they can pick up the EMI interference. That picture wah is basically a perfect brand new version of a classic old Vox 846 (Clyde McCoy)

Don't change your pickups, Hendrix played them and he had single coils. So did Clapton and countless others. I'm sure a little EMI/RFI sheilding should fix the problem it's usually more common in cheaper wah's. I used to pick up radio stations with an old Dunlop Hendrix Wah.

I'm sure it will work out, hopefully your analogman stuff will get there soon.

Sorry about the 2-3 week wait, I know you were excited about it. I hope the tone didn't disapoint.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    The tone is great man and I don't regret a moment that I bought it.I compared it with a crybaby yesterday and it has nothing to do with it...It has some flaws I guess and I may be a little bit unlucky!The funny thing is that at the same time I ordered my amp and three pedals from the net and everything was ok!!!Instead I bought myself the picture from a store in athens and it proved to be defective!Little bit unlucky don't you think?Thanks for your feedback anyway...