Options

Delay

mogwaimogwai Posts: 141
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi there.I've been browsing ebay in search of a delay pedal.I've heard many people round here talking about delay pedals but I haven't figured out what's going on with these nice units.Which delays have you played?Which ones would you recommend.Analog or digital?dm-2 or dm-3?Boss or Ibanez?It's hard to find out which one to buy coz you can't find them in any local store you walk in you know!!!
"You stay classy San Diego" Ron Burgundy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Line 6 DL-4;
    Boss DD-2;
    Danelectro Reel Echo;
    Roland Space Echo.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404

very cool trippy sound, nice delay. But, electro harmonix isn't known for reliability.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mogwai
    Has anyone tried the electro harmonix?

Noisy as hell and inconsistent. When they're working right, they sound amazing... nothing like it... but they have off-nights, and way too often. I'd get something more reliable and consistent. If you want some good, reliable analog delay, I really recommend the Roland Space Echo... good old analog tape echo.
  • Options
    What about maxon ad-900 or ad-9?I have read some very good reviews in harmony-central,specially for the ad900.A little bit expensive though...I alsp read both good and bad reviews about the line 6 dl-4...Some people say that it is not the most reliable pedal you can find...
  • Options
  • Options
    http://www.tradingmusician.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=129&id=2167

That's what MIG is talking about I guess!!!

Yep... great sounding machine...
  • Options
    Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    arion also has a nice analog delay.
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Try either the Boss DD5/DD6 or the Akai Headrush.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    The maxon's are great if just a bit overrated especially for the price.

Those old analog Panasonic BBD chips aren't made anymore as they used to be the source for reverb and surround in TV sets and they are all digital now.

The maxon sounds good because it's run at 18 volts.

The line 6 DL-4 is great but I also hear of people having problems almost always those have to do with the power supply poor engineering on the power supply I guess I know a lot of pros that use these now instead of their old stuff because of the multitude of sounds they can get from one box.

I've heard some bad things about Mark Hamil and SIB lately regarding quality (apparently they've been fixed and it was an equipment problem) but SIB has a very nice tube driven pedal called the Echo Drive. It's digital but significantly warmer than most digital delays. It can get very short slap back style echos all the way up to sound on sound type very long delays.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the maxon runs at 12V. they are now making their own chips for a 900ms delay which will be awesome but heinously expensive.

the DL4 is known to have one bad run in 2000 or so but other than that have been very good.

on a budget, the danelectro dan-echo is the best thing going but it is now discontinued.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    the maxon runs at 12V. they are now making their own chips for a 900ms delay which will be awesome but heinously expensive.

the DL4 is known to have one bad run in 2000 or so but other than that have been very good.

on a budget, the danelectro dan-echo is the best thing going but it is now discontinued.

you're right 12V for the maxon, I swear I though it was 18. Dunlop is making a lot of pedals including that new chorus that run at 18v. I guess I had that in my head.

I always forget about the Dan-Echo. Everybody likes that pedal.
  • Options
    The problem with the danelectro reel echo is that I cannot find it apart from Us cyberstores that they don't ship any goods to EU.
  • Options
    The problem with the danelectro reel echo is that I cannot find it apart from Us cyberstores that they don't ship any goods to EU.

It's discontinued like everything else, you'd have to find it used.

I'm going to buy a DL-4 myself because I think it suits all my needs and its fairly flexible, I think you can set up a delay style for each button and make changes during the song. Plus it has a loop sampler.
  • Options
    http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw2_artikel-144912.html

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw2_artikel-140495.html

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw2_artikel-161659.html

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw2_artikel-162584.html

Here are all the analog options that I have from that I have bought everything till now.I don't know any other reliable cyberstores in EU.If anyone else does please share.

OMG that AD-900 looks so fine!!!I am mostly between that and line 6...Paco if you are going to get the dl-4 maybe I should get the maxon and we can share!!!LOL
  • Options
    Here's the one I have.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=ibanez+ad+9&ht=1&sosortproperty=1&from=R10&sacategory=619&BasicSearch=

I guess the maxon one is the reissue of when they used to make them for Ibanez.

This is my favorite delay ever. Not a real long delay time, but great sound.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw2_artikel-159673.html
    THE SKY IS BLUE,
    and all the leaves are green,
    MY HEARTS AS FULL AS A BAKED POTATO.
  • Options
    Have you tried this one?I am looking for analog but if you have tried this one I would be glad to hear!
  • Options
    I think that I'll be getting an Ibanez AD-80.It looks great you know!