Buing a new tele...

mogwaimogwai Posts: 141
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok. The decision has been taken. I am going to buy a tele. But there are so many of them out there and I really do not know which should be the one. I can afford up to $1000. Could anyone offer some help? Thanks.
"You stay classy San Diego" Ron Burgundy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Spook FishSpook Fish Posts: 241
    with $1000 under your belt you have quite a few options. i play a Nasville Deluxe Tele, and a Custom made strat. The Nashville has the extra pup in the middle like a strat with Texas Special pups in the bridge & Neck, Alder Candy Apple Red body & a Maple neck. the 5 way pup configuration gives you plenty of options tone wise, but is missing the classic tele spank from the neck & bridge combo:-( you can pick up a Mexican one for about $700 - $800 new or go used and get a deal. shop around for a bit and dont be to hasty and get a deal if you can. i recommend the used market if you want American.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
    oh yeah, play the hell out of loads of them to as there are to many variations in build quality - try them out uplugged in the store (if new) and see if it sounds good without an amp. when you pick the right one for you, you will feel it:-)
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I'd get a used 52 Tele RI in butterscotch. If not some kind of thin line, and if the Tele Jr ever comes out again I'll have to snatch one up.

The nashvilles are very flexible though.

There is a new light ash version that comes with seymour duncan pups that is very nice.

It all depends on your requirements.

What sound, look, feel do you want?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    mogwai wrote:
    Ok. The decision has been taken. I am going to buy a tele. But there are so many of them out there and I really do not know which should be the one. I can afford up to $1000. Could anyone offer some help? Thanks.

hey mogwai - i see you are in chania Crete - I'm flying out there in October for a 7 day break! it's a beautiful place, never thought there would be another Tele player over there!!
  • i personally just like the American Tele....thats the only tele i like....get it in arctic white and a black pickguard :D
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Pacomc79 wrote:

P-90's in a Tele... doesn't get any better!

Do you want the Tele sound, or just the look with some different tonal options? There are HS models, HH models, the Nashville, the Custom, the Deluxe, the Thinline... so many options. Believe me, I know! ;)
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • neoneo Posts: 89
    get the '72 reissue.

frickin' sweet.:D
  • mogwaimogwai Posts: 141
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I'd get a used 52 Tele RI in butterscotch. If not some kind of thin line, and if the Tele Jr ever comes out again I'll have to snatch one up.

The nashvilles are very flexible though.

There is a new light ash version that comes with seymour duncan pups that is very nice.

It all depends on your requirements.

What sound, look, feel do you want?

I guess you mean these two:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_id/34419

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_id/111009

As far as the looks is considered I think that nothing can beat the butterscotch tele. Could you explain me some more stuff about their differences? Thanks buddy.
    "You stay classy San Diego" Ron Burgundy
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/511339/

this is the one I actually meant but we'll discuss the differences soon, I'm just busy at the moment

ok, the differences between the 52 RI and the American Deluxe are many but they are subtle. The neck carve is probably slightly different, the 52's neck is lacquered (the gorgeous tint to the wood) wheras the AD is satin finished for smoothness. The 52's pickups are supposedly true to vintage specs whearas the AD is equipped with the Lawerence designed SCN's with S-1 switching. The Hardware on the AD is also modern wheras the 52RI is true to vintage (read as true to vintage as fenders accountants will let them be at this price) I believe the AD has locking tuners as well.

Either one of these guitars would be fantastic. I prefer the looks of the vintage and maybe the playability/flexibility of the AD. The tone is mute, they both sound awesome it just depends on what you want. Each individual one will play and sound different, so you might want to play a few before making your decision although whatever you pick will undoubtedly become more familiar and treasured the more you play it because that's how it tends to work, I have a hard time pulling the trigger, I've let a few really good ones go back on the shelf when I should have bought them. There are probably other differences that other tele guys know so they can chime in now.

check out http://www.callahamguitars.com for some upgrade parts should you want to ever upgrade hardware.
  • My next Tele will be another '72 Deluxe RI with the stock Wide-Range Humbuckers. Probably with the walnut finish.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/511141/

But I'd also like to point out the eminently gorgeous '72 Thinline...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/510474/
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:

This is the one I mentioned in my little crisis thread :D I had one of those in my hands, but didn't play it. According to the guy in the shop it's made in Korea and an amazing guitar for it's price. The Korea stamp lowers the price, but the parts on it's own are more than decent enough. Sure, a US tele is better, but you pay more than double for it. So price/quality this is a snatch, a steal and it looks beautiful as well. No idea how it sounds, but I'm sure the others will tell you how those SD pups sound.
    pearlwax wrote:
    This is the one I mentioned in my little crisis thread :D I had one of those in my hands, but didn't play it. According to the guy in the shop it's made in Korea and an amazing guitar for it's price. The Korea stamp lowers the price, but the parts on it's own are more than decent enough. Sure, a US tele is better, but you pay more than double for it. So price/quality this is a snatch, a steal and it looks beautiful as well. No idea how it sounds, but I'm sure the others will tell you how those SD pups sound.

Sounds great, I prefer Alnico 5;s to Alnico 2's but it still sounds great. It's very raw. I'd like to get one that had a tru oil neck finish for a bit darker color.