Any Big Muff πers out there

mogwaimogwai Posts: 141
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I bought the God damn thing one week ago. I just can't turn it off. I have it on even when I am playing the Berklee methods! Somebody get me a doctor. I love getting some feedback when playing my arpeggios. LOL.
"You stay classy San Diego" Ron Burgundy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• although it relaly is a one trick dog, it is fun. I'll certainly never get rid of mine. I also have a Shannon OD, and an Electroharmonix Hot Tubes for some variety in sound. I love me some Smashing Pumpkins with the Big Muff.
    What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
  • I don't have a big muff but I have the English Muff'n and I freakin' love it! I can get some serious crunch out of it, especially with my SG, sometimes I think the walls in my house might come down! :)
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I don't have a big muff but I have the English Muff'n and I freakin' love it! I can get some serious crunch out of it, especially with my SG, sometimes I think the walls in my house might come down! :)

so it is great then, nice. I want to try on of those.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    so it is great then, nice. I want to try on of those.

I mean I like it but I have not been through an array of pedals like I am sure you have. It has worked for me because it is the only pedal I have like that (besides my wah) and it works nice with my Fender Blues Jr. I have been able to dial in a real nice warm, slightly crunchy sound. I have on occasion though turned the gain up on the English Muff'n and kept the volume slightly low to mid way on it, oh man watch out!

But with the experience I know you have with gear, I think you should definitely try it out, could possibly work well with the new axe of yours. How's that working out for you by the way?
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
    I mean I like it but I have not been through an array of pedals like I am sure you have. It has worked for me because it is the only pedal I have like that (besides my wah) and it works nice with my Fender Blues Jr. I have been able to dial in a real nice warm, slightly crunchy sound. I have on occasion though turned the gain up on the English Muff'n and kept the volume slightly low to mid way on it, oh man watch out!

But with the experience I know you have with gear, I think you should definitely try it out, could possibly work well with the new axe of yours. How's that working out for you by the way?

It's great, I'm only longing for just a bit thicker neck, but I'll get over it. Well that and once I get my new pickups, springs, switching, and tuners installed it will be a modicum of perfection. It's a redonkulous blues machine with my Orange. The new tubes are nice. The pups like all fender pups to me are a tinge too bright and the bridge needs a bit more balls. I'm thinking of swapping the speaker in my AD15 from the Vintage 30 to a looser Weber Blue Dog or Silver Bell to get a little more warmth and response from the amp. The amp is a winner. I'm going to sell my Direct Drive soon, and purchase a Catlinbread Super Chili Picoso, to give me some fatness. I like the warmth of the EH tube pedals though. The Blues JR, is a really cool amp, but for my tastes I like to dial in the fatness and I'm sure the EH helps. I bet a blue dog would sound great in that thing too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • That is definitely a lot of mods your doing to it. I would love to hear it through that Orange. I would love to hear mine through an orange. The Muff'n really beefs up my Blues Jr but I bet it woud be the absolute dog's balls through your Orange!! I am drooling on my keyboard just thinking about it.

Let me get your opinion, what do you think a good speaker swap out would be for the Blues Jr.? Also, what would be a good pedal to move to next? I like a little delay sometimes, would another fuzz/overdrive/distortion be good? If so, what? I know there are so many different pedals out there but what are your personal favorites? I don't think I would run the Muff'n and another fuzz/overdrive/distortion at the same time, would be too much but I it would be nice to have to different pedals dialed in to two different sounds, you know go back and forth.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
    That is definitely a lot of mods your doing to it. I would love to hear it through that Orange. I would love to hear mine through an orange. The Muff'n really beefs up my Blues Jr but I bet it woud be the absolute dog's balls through your Orange!! I am drooling on my keyboard just thinking about it.

Let me get your opinion, what do you think a good speaker swap out would be for the Blues Jr.? Also, what would be a good pedal to move to next? I like a little delay sometimes, would another fuzz/overdrive/distortion be good? If so, what? I know there are so many different pedals out there but what are your personal favorites? I don't think I would run the Muff'n and another fuzz/overdrive/distortion at the same time, would be too much but I it would be nice to have to different pedals dialed in to two different sounds, you know go back and forth.

we should start a new thread for that and leave this one about muffs.

Big Muff pies. :D
  • mogwai wrote:
    I bought the God damn thing one week ago. I just can't turn it off. I have it on even when I am playing the Berklee methods! Somebody get me a doctor. I love getting some feedback when playing my arpeggios. LOL.

the muff was the first pedal i ever bought ...

to be honest, i try not to ever use it ...

it's kind've noisy, and i feel like it sucks the soul out of my guitar's sound.

that being said ...

putting it like this in my chain
    Gibson SG --> Ibanez UE-305 --> TS9 --> Muff --> Amp

with a smidge of compression and delay on my 305, a lot of volume on the TS9 but not so much gain, and the tone almost fullly CCW ... to the muff with about half sustain, tone again nearly fully CCW and at about 1\3rd volume

Really gives a FAT FAT FAT lead \ sabbath \ wrecking-ball metal sound ...

more sustain and depth than one could ever need ...

... but it just doesn't sound organic at all.
    that's my main beef.

:(
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    the muff was the first pedal i ever bought ...

to be honest, i try not to ever use it ...

it's kind've noisy, and i feel like it sucks the soul out of my guitar's sound.

that being said ...

putting it like this in my chain
    Gibson SG --> Ibanez UE-305 --> TS9 --> Muff --> Amp

with a smidge of compression and delay on my 305, a lot of volume on the TS9 but not so much gain, and the tone almost fullly CCW ... to the muff with about half sustain, tone again nearly fully CCW and at about 1\3rd volume

Really gives a FAT FAT FAT lead \ sabbath \ wrecking-ball metal sound ...

more sustain and depth than one could ever need ...

... but it just doesn't sound organic at all.
    that's my main beef.

:(

There are a couple organic muffers to try that you might like. DAM's ram's head is fantastic and if you can find any of Skreddy's discontinued Ernie's, Zero's or Mayo's (big box) you will be in organic, vintage muff heaven.

I use mine to with delay, and comp and get Gilmour. Or I dial out the comp a bit, kill the delay and open up the amp for Corgan. Those are the only 2 guys I like that use heavy muff. It is also fun to crank everything and let it rip at about 7:30 on a Sunday morning. I love watching birds take off, and windows shatter :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    JofZ wrote:
    There are a couple organic muffers to try that you might like. DAM's ram's head is fantastic and if you can find any of Skreddy's discontinued Ernie's, Zero's or Mayo's (big box) you will be in organic, vintage muff heaven.

I use mine to with delay, and comp and get Gilmour. Or I dial out the comp a bit, kill the delay and open up the amp for Corgan. Those are the only 2 guys I like that use heavy muff. It is also fun to crank everything and let it rip at about 7:30 on a Sunday morning. I love watching birds take off, and windows shatter :)

what about the new mayonaise? Isn't it also muff inspired?

Did you get your Kuma yet from DAM?
  • JofZ wrote:
    It is also fun to crank everything and let it rip at about 7:30 on a Sunday morning. I love watching birds take off, and windows shatter :)

You're my kind've guy, JofZ.
    That's funny shit.

To be honest,
    i'm not even sure i'd like the muff if it DID sound organic.
    It just completely eats the guitars own tone.
    U feel me at all on that?

it also has so much damn sustain that there is no clarity, and notes sometimes never end. i dunno, it IS "cool", but i can only take so much before i feel like i'm in some bad metal band or something.

i'm thinking about picking up either a BJF EGDM or a BBOD ...

any thoughts on the differences?
    maybe that should go to a new thread, but oh well.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    for the $40 of whatever they sell for now, the black russian version is a steal. i don't use it much because i'm pretty quiet but i much prefer it over the new american ones.

never tried a vintage or the new boutique versions.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    You're my kind've guy, JofZ.
    That's funny shit.

To be honest,
    i'm not even sure i'd like the muff if it DID sound organic.
    It just completely eats the guitars own tone.
    U feel me at all on that?

it also has so much damn sustain that there is no clarity, and notes sometimes never end. i dunno, it IS "cool", but i can only take so much before i feel like i'm in some bad metal band or something.

i'm thinking about picking up either a BJF EGDM or a BBOD ...

any thoughts on the differences?
    maybe that should go to a new thread, but oh well.

I totally hear you!
    I sit and listen to guys whose tone is built around the muff and I wonder how they can take hearing it all the time LOL. Then there are other times that it really sounds incredible. I am fairly certain it is all in the hands with this pedal. The sustain is amazing and controlling it is another issue. Feedback, vol. knobs, everything is way more complex then it appears to be when using one IMO.

Start a new thread on the BJ stuff :) and I will answer everything.

Pac, I have the DAM rams head it is killer.

Skreddy built my Mayo a little different. It was built on Friday the 13th and is S/N 13. It kinda took on a life of its own. The circuit is hotter and it has some blender tones in it. I'll post a pic, the graphics and everything is spooky lol
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board