Recommend me some guitar pick-ups please

off_goes_lukinoff_goes_lukin Posts: 6
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Okay, so this summer I bought an epiphone g-400. Yeah, it's not a real gibson sg, but it was in my price range and it's a really nice looking guitar. I actually did a lot of research and a lot of reviews said it's a great guitar, but the factory pickups are crap.

Well, they were right. It sounds really muddy and doesn't have a great tone. It's better than my first beginner guitar, but still I'd like to make it better.

So here's what I want. I'm wanting to do what was recommended and upgrade the pick-ups. Basically, I'm wanting a good heavy-metalish rock guitar. To give you an idea, think Alice in Chains (We Die Young, Man in the Box, Them Bones) and Metallica (Master of Puppets, Orion, ect..).

So any recommendations are appreciated since I know next to nothing about guitar hardware and I hate going into a guitar store and feeling like an idiot.

Here's a link to the guitar I have: G-400
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• seymour duncan makes awesome pickups.. i would recommend the JB model.. especially for an sg. here's a link.. http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/products/humbuckersdescr.shtml#JB153Model
    this heart's on fire
  • Thanks a lot!! The samples on that site sound great. Here's a stupid question though. Are pick-ups specifically designed to go in the neck or bridge position? Would I need to get two different models for neck and bridge?

Again, I don't know very much so this is possiby a stupid question.
  • Originally posted by off_goes_lukin
    Thanks a lot!! The samples on that site sound great. Here's a stupid question though. Are pick-ups specifically designed to go in the neck or bridge position? Would I need to get two different models for neck and bridge?

Again, I don't know very much so this is possiby a stupid question.
    Not a stupid question at all
    Seymour duncan is a great site, isn't it?
    Usually yes, you need a bridge and a neck pick up. It should specify when you look.

That Jb is bridge only

Here's a chart that tells you:
    http://www.basslines.com/website/tonechart.shtml#hum
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Seymour Duncan JB, or Pearly Gates are nice. Probably the best for that sound are the distortions or ultimately, The George Lynch Screamin Demon. The Alnico 2's are great as are the 5's but they are slightly warmer. I'm thinking you'll probably prefer ceramic magnets to alnico.

From Dimarzio the Super Distortions will suit you very well in that guitar.

remember the amp you are using has a profound effect on your tone and clarity as well. Those guys use high power to get that kind of note clarity
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Also don't overlook EMG P/U's they might be exactly what you want.

http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/index_gtrpickup.php
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.