Delay pedal

likepilateihaveadoglikepilateihaveadog Posts: 1,083
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Any of you guys use delay?
I've dabbled in pedals...distortion and compressors for now...looking to get into some more "stranger" stuff...
any recomendations/tips?
chorus, flanger, things like that?
Many thanks,
Will
Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Any of you guys use delay?
    I've dabbled in pedals...distortion and compressors for now...looking to get into some more "stranger" stuff...
    any recomendations/tips?
    Many thanks,
    Will

I'm in the same boat man....

I just bought a CryBaby 535Q Wah, which is alot of fun.

I want something else to though, Flanger,Chorus,Phaser,Overdrive,Delay.

For delay's I've heard that the Boss DD-3 and DD-6 are good, but other guys on here would know way better than me.

This thread is kinda for the both of us anyway...:)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • loveeee delays and chorus....

I have a Boss DD-6 delay and i love it. It's very widely used and loved.

The DD-6 (as opposed to the DD-3) has a few knicks and knacks (like reverse delay) that you dont really need and i don't use often.

i suggest getting the DD-3... same pedal without the knick knacks.. save some money :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • yeah, I like Boss. The DD3 looks good.
    Should be a good sound experiment.
    thanks...
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I just snagged a Maxon AD-9 off of eBay for about $100 less than retail. Can't wait for it to arrive so I can play around with it. It'll make the 4th pedal I've gotten in the past two weeks. Just added a BD-2, Shannon Uniphase and Vox McCoy Wah pedal. Next up is a Fender Blender, than maybe a DL4 and I'm done, for now!
  • moster78 wrote:
    I just snagged a Maxon AD-9 off of eBay for about $100 less than retail. Can't wait for it to arrive so I can play around with it. It'll make the 4th pedal I've gotten in the past two weeks. Just added a BD-2, Shannon Uniphase and Vox McCoy Wah pedal. Next up is a Fender Blender, than maybe a DL4 and I'm done, for now!
    What's a Fender Blender do?
  • moster78 wrote:

Wow. Good snag. Those pedals are going for quite a bit of money these days. This is what I'm going to get to replace my DD-3 eventually.

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=39
    What's a Fender Blender do?

Its an Octave/Fuzz pedal. Really interesting sounds, at least to me. There's a demo of it at musictoyz.com

http://musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/fender.php
    Wow. Good snag. Those pedals are going for quite a bit of money these days. This is what I'm going to get to replace my DD-3 eventually.

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=39

Yeah, $300 retail. Thought it was a good deal. We'll see when I get it sometime this week.
  • i have a Flender and its reallly nice.

i wouldn't rely on those samples to give you a real grasp of what it does... at all...

If you're just starting out buying effects don't get it,.. get the more basic, versatle stuff first.

"Make our day"
  • moster78 wrote:
    Its an Octave/Fuzz pedal. Really interesting sounds, at least to me. There's a demo of it at musictoyz.com

http://musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/fender.php
    very cool, thanks
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    For delay I use both a Boss DD-5 and an Akai Headrush
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • loveeee delays and chorus....

I have a Boss DD-6 delay and i love it. It's very widely used and loved.

The DD-6 (as opposed to the DD-3) has a few knicks and knacks (like reverse delay) that you dont really need and i don't use often.

i suggest getting the DD-3... same pedal without the knick knacks.. save some money :)

100% agree, i play a dd-3, and have friends who have dd-6's. for casual play, the dd-6 doesn't really make up for the extra price, allthought the tap tempo is nice. but all in all the dd-3 from boss is a great, great pedal, and i use mine daily, it has never let me down

harrison

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • 100% agree, i play a dd-3, and have friends who have dd-6's. for casual play, the dd-6 doesn't really make up for the extra price, allthought the tap tempo is nice. but all in all the dd-3 from boss is a great, great pedal, and i use mine daily, it has never let me down

harrison
    The Tap-tempo is so great... i've begun to use it a lot.. and the warp is neat.. but its more fun to just build up a fast, strong delay and turn the knobs to make those freaky sounds :cool:

I would've bought the DD-3,.. but they were on sale,.. so i got the DD-6 for about the price of the DD-3 :)

"Make our day"
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Bought a Digidelay as my first delay two weeks ago... I haven't played as much as last week for two years. I bet it's not great-sounding compared to more expensive delays (Echoczar? Memory Lane? ;)) but it is mucho functions at non mucho cost with reasonable sounds and a looping function thrown in. Only gripe with it is the non-100% wet reverse delay, which is Unusable Garbage Deluxe.

Anyway, at the price it beats a DD-6 in my book (with the Tape emulation as the deceisive hit).
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    line6 echo park at the higher end of the "budget" range.

great flexbility

i'd have one (i did test drive one for a few days) if i didn't already have the DL4.
  • Boss DM-3. I love the crappy analog quality of the repeats when the intensity and echo controls are maxed and the rate control is all the way back. The aux out is cool, too. I like to use it to run two amps at once, one clean and the other a little overdriven.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    my guitar store was having a pedal sale and they had a Digitech Digidelay for $46.

I've been wanting to get a dealy for a while....and that seems to be pretty cheap compared to the $100 list price it normally is. I really want it for the loop feature since I love making noise..heh.

so my question is....is this pedal any good? is that a good price for it?
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Any of you guys use delay?
    any recomendations/tips?
    Many thanks,
    Will

I love the Digitech Digi delay and Digitech Hyper Phase. Those Sound REALLY good. I also have the DOD ice box chorus which is pretty fun to mess with. Recently I purchased the Fender Blender from a friend on this board so I have been mainly figuring that out. The Hyper Phase and the Delay are REALLY sweet and fun to use/play with. You can get some weird sounds if you combine it with a wah and harmonics.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    I love the Digitech Digi delay and Digitech Hyper Phase. Those Sound REALLY good. I also have the DOD ice box chorus which is pretty fun to mess with. Recently I purchased the Fender Blender from a friend on this board so I have been mainly figuring that out. The Hyper Phase and the Delay are REALLY sweet and fun to use/play with. You can get some weird sounds if you combine it with a wah and harmonics.

cool. whats the loop feature like? any good?
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • warehousewarehouse Posts: 124
    I'm considering a Boss DD-6 but I'm not sure. Anyone have one and can tell me any pros/cons?
    Lying sideways atop crumpled sheets and no covers he decides to dream. Dream up a new self. For himself.

Montreal 2000
    Toronto 2003
    Montreal 2003
    Halifax 2005
    Hartford 2006
  • i prefer the dd-5 (no longer made) to the dd-6. the clarity and tone seemed much better. that could be all in my head, and i'm sure someone could bust out info that says they have the same guts, or something like that, but my dd5 that was swiped always got the job done, and my dd6 continues to underwhelm me. i'm considering an Electro Harmonix Memory Man. fat tone, but much less delay time and less options then the boss. if price is an problem, get a dd3 or used dd5. they can be found for $100.
  • warehousewarehouse Posts: 124
    Cool, thanks for the info.
    Lying sideways atop crumpled sheets and no covers he decides to dream. Dream up a new self. For himself.

Montreal 2000
    Toronto 2003
    Montreal 2003
    Halifax 2005
    Hartford 2006
  • I use the Boss DM-2. No longer made but you can pick up on ebay or at a guitar show. I like the DM-3 also. Considering it was made from only 1981 - 1984 is only 3 knobs and I have never had a problem with it yet. And I own a CE-2 chorus made from 1979 to 1980. No problems with that either. And both are nice analog pedals. I do have to admit I owned a CE-2 from new and it was sweet. I loved it. I grew accustomed to it. Then it was stolen and I had to get a replacement and it was a little brighter sounding. But I grew to love it. There is internal trim pots inside also to adjust the sound. But I was scared to mess with a good thing. Now I love this one just as much as the original I had. If you ever have a chance to demo I think they are worth the little extra money they do go for in tone and dependability. Here is a neat Boss site below. Oh if you ever get a chance to play through a DM-2 through and amp with some gain and feedback and start tweaking the knobs on the DM-2. Old science fiction movies are the sound I hear. War of the Worlds type stuff. Ask anyone who owns one. Awesome. Mike McCready use to use the DM-3 and tweak the knobs at the end of Parting Ways when everyone is playing the E over and over for some cool sounds. At least that is what I think I remember him doing.

http://www.bossarea.com/default.asp
    http://www.5against1live.com
    http://www.myspace.com/5vs1
    http://www.tributecity.com

I know I was born and I know that I'll die
    The in between is mine
  • StoneG82 wrote:
    cool. whats the loop feature like? any good?

Yeah, it's good. Basically, it just lets you jam out while holding the pedal down and you get to record 4 seconds of endless playback
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • I have a DD-6 but I don't use it enough... Suggestions?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • The DD3 is groovy. Keep your eyes open for a used TC Vintage Delay.. at least try one out - it's a great piece.
    thanks...

Just bought the DD3 and love it. Real good for Modest Mouse sound.
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV