Mandolin player anyone?

likepilateihaveadoglikepilateihaveadog Posts: 1,083
edited June 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Thinking about gettin one.

Nothing real grand...just a piece under $100.

Need to get out of my rut...thinking a new instrument will help.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks guys.
Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jbdjbd Posts: 65
    Great idea. I want to get one myself. And a banjo too !

Maybe this will help: http://4stringchords.com/
    "Fuck the kids ! Except the ones who are buying our records! They're fucking themselves!" - Mark Arm
  • mandolin is great. you might want to spend a little more than a hundred on one though. cheap mandolins break very very easily. i would say go for more of the 150 to 250 range and you should be fine. but enjoy it man once you have one. they're great fun to learn chords on. it's like guitar upside down almost. beautiful sounding.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    My roommate has one and we mess around with it every so often. It is a bit different to play, and it is kind of upside down, but still fun.
  • yeah, obviously you get what you pay for, so...

yeah, just wanting to work on different chord progessions, ideas...

I mean, I love how some people can use the same chords over and over and over....Neil Young, Drive-By Truckers, etc, etc, etc...

But i like to push it a bit more.

We'll see what I can dig up.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Yeah, I've got a Johnson my folks bought me for one birthday. It's really fun sometimes, but basically it sits in my room amongst the other instruments. I really wish I had an organ. Man I want an organ.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • haha

he said johnson

;)
  • anyway

still lookin

hopefully a hollow body electric to get the best of both worlds

although I did see a "mandocaster" that looks like a tele - bad fuckin ass
  • nick1977nick1977 Posts: 327
    I love the mandolin...looking at buying one myself.

But, for under $100, you are buying a piece of crap. You need to look for one with at least a solid top! :)
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Ever read "Corelli's Mandolin?" Not the movie. It would defnitely motivate anyone to learn the mandolin if you have any inkling whatsoever. Corelli doesn't show up for the first 100 pages or so, but ahhhhhhhhh when he shows up what he can do with that Mandolin within war-ravaged Greece.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • thatgirlthatgirl Posts: 3,671
    my brother plays the mando in a band. hes pretty into it. i dont know where he got his from though, ok i guess im of no help here! ;)
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • thatgirl wrote:
    my brother plays the mando in a band. hes pretty into it. i dont know where he got his from though, ok i guess im of no help here! ;)
    no, not really!

:D
  • Puck78Puck78 Posts: 737
    my grandfather was a great mandolin player!
    www.amnesty.org
    www.amnesty.org.uk
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    Bang-for-buck winner in the entry-level mandolin market has gotta be Washburn. You probably won't find one under $100 but for not much more you can get one that's actually playable.