External Hard Drive?

likepilateihaveadoglikepilateihaveadog Posts: 1,083
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
This was the best place to put this...
I could use an external HD...I'm on a Mac too...for backing up my PJ collection as well as my garageband recordings...they're taking over my computer...
Just wondering if anyone has had any luck (or not) with this kind of product...
prices might be dropping after the new year too, so maybe I'll wait...just wanted to get some feedback.
thanks guys,
peace
Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neoneo Posts: 89
    that should work great.

and it's a good idea.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i just bought a 160gig USB external hard drive for my PC. works like a charm. slowly ripping my entire cd collection etc.
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    an external Hard Drive is a good idea, Ive got a 160 gb one and its a great way to back up your files. If you get hit with a virus or something, you still have everything.. You know what they say........practice safe computing.
    When I bought mine, they were going for about $1 per gb. You can probably get them cheaper than that now, but regardless, its a good price and a good idea.
    Brian
  • i baught a 80GB external about a year and a half ago, and it hasnt let me down, and it came just in handy....my computer crashed about 4 months ago and i lost some files but the ones on my external stayed perfect so i didnt lose much (although i could use a bigger one now)...mine is a Western Digital
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    If you're on a mac you can go one better with it. I got a LaCie 160 GB external firewire drive (faster than usb 2.0) and I use Carbon Copy Cloner to create a completely bootable copy of my laptop's internal HD. In the event the hd crashes, I can plug in the external and boot off it as of my last backup. Works like a charm so far, and great for peace of mind.
  • moster78 wrote:
    If you're on a mac you can go one better with it. I got a LaCie 160 GB external firewire drive (faster than usb 2.0) and I use Carbon Copy Cloner to create a completely bootable copy of my laptop's internal HD. In the event the hd crashes, I can plug in the external and boot off it as of my last backup. Works like a charm so far, and great for peace of mind.
    yeah, thanks all for the advice...my laptop is only 60GB...about half of it music...so I might as well backup everything too...since I've got the room...
    It's about $0.50/GB now...at least for just a drive...if you're into DIY...
    anyone build their own w/ a HD and a case?
  • like someone said lacie is supposed to be great. i havent used one but ive talked to people who have for a while now and said good things. im looking to buy a 1Tb hd soon since i have nearly 400gb filled (mostly pj)
  • yeah, I've got a ton of video on CD which can stay...but I'd like all the audio at my fingertips... I see Apple sells LaCie drives, anyone know of anywhere cheaper but still reliable?

thanks again
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    yeah, I've got a ton of video on CD which can stay...but I'd like all the audio at my fingertips... I see Apple sells LaCie drives, anyone know of anywhere cheaper but still reliable?

thanks again

I think I got mine from buy.com. Shop around the net, you'll find a decent price somewhere.
  • moster78 wrote:
    I think I got mine from buy.com. Shop around the net, you'll find a decent price somewhere.
    Will look, thanks.