Guitar Help

SKasak44SKasak44 Posts: 67
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey does anyone know how to tighten strings on an electric guitar? I have a fender standard strat and the strings are never as tight as I would like and I was wondering if anyone know how I could tighten them without having to tune it higher than standard tuning. thanks guys.
"I cant hear you, but i feel the things you say"

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• the only thing i can think of doin' is putting higher gauge (thicker) strings on.
    seems that needlessly its getting harder
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    A thicker set of strings is always your best bet, and that way you don't have to change the setup of your guitar....but you might not be able to pull of leads the same way. The other opion is to take it to a guitar tech...and I think by moving the saddles on the bridge back you can tighten up your strings. I think, because it increases the distance from the saddle to the nut...the tension of your strings will increase....but like I said....I would take it to a tech and let them do this for you.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • ShredShred Posts: 28
    like the others said, higher gauge, .10's if not .11's
  • You must have strong fingers if you want tighter strings!
    The only way is to put on higher gauge strings. I don't know what you have on there, but 9's always seemed flimsy to me. 11's sing on a strat,
    As far as leads go, your fingers will get stronger. Stevie Ray, depending on how his fingers felt that night, would range from 13's to up to 16 gauge. THAT would be a beast! Of course he used to put super glue on his fingers, then stick them to his thigh to get skin to fill in the holes in his fingertips to get through some nights.

Moving the saddles back would put the whole thing out of intonation. Don't want to do that. :)

You may have to get it set up if you go to higher gauge, maybe not. Sometimes you have to tighten the truss rod a bit, because the heavier strings will pull out on the neck, sometimes enlarge the grooves in the nut so they don't bind there.

I like Boomers or DR's for strats.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Stevie Ray, depending on how his fingers felt that night, would range from 13's to up to 16 gauge. THAT would be a beast! Of course he used to put super glue on his fingers, then stick them to his thigh to get skin to fill in the holes in his fingertips to get through some nights.

Are you kiddin' me? That's fricken' disgusting and yet so cool at the same time. Genius, that man was. Genius.
    Resist Much, Obey Little.