Please Help. Installing Pickups!!

SKasak44SKasak44 Posts: 67
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have three new pickups for my fender strat and as soon as I went to install them I felt like it was rocket science. How the hell do you attach all of the wires and stuff? Do I need special gear or something as well?
"I cant hear you, but i feel the things you say"

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by Fortunate Sean
    I have three new pickups for my fender strat and as soon as I went to install them I felt like it was rocket science. How the hell do you attach all of the wires and stuff? Do I need special gear or something as well?

SHould be a wiring diagram included with the P/U's.

Do you know how to soldier?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • SKasak44SKasak44 Posts: 67
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    SHould be a wiring diagram included with the P/U's.

Do you know how to soldier?

It has a diagram but it might as well be a blank piece of paper. should I just take it to a shop? any idea how much it would cost to have it done for me?

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    It has a diagram but it might as well be a blank piece of paper. should I just take it to a shop? any idea how much it would cost to have it done for me?

take it to a shop. no idea how much a tech would charge though.
    probably 25 bucks per pickup usually. depending on the shop.

If you've never soldiered before it's worth it because you don't want bad soldier joints. basically it's color coded map, when taking out the pickups take note as to which wires go where on the tone and volume pots. the diagram will shows you which wire to connect where. It's probably better for you to take it to a shop though.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    probably 25 bucks per pickup usually. depending on the shop.

If you've never soldiered before it's worth it because you don't want bad soldier joints. basically it's color coded map, when taking out the pickups take note as to which wires go where on the tone and volume pots. the diagram will shows you which wire to connect where. It's probably better for you to take it to a shop though.

thanks. i'll have to take it to a shop. I just got 3 new fender lace sensor pickups and everyone made it seem like replacing them were a snap and i guess they were wrong. hopefully the bill wont set me back too much though. i already dropped enough on the pickups as it is.

thanks. i'll have to take it to a shop. I just got 3 new fender lace sensor pickups and everyone made it seem like replacing them were a snap and i guess they were wrong. hopefully the bill wont set me back too much though. i already dropped enough on the pickups as it is.

Indeed. It shouldn't cost you too much, there's no modification involved, basically it's just about 9 to 12 soldier joints to remove and reconnect give or take. What is it about the wiring that blows your mind?
    Indeed. It shouldn't cost you too much, there's no modification involved, basically it's just about 9 to 12 soldier joints to remove and reconnect give or take. What is it about the wiring that blows your mind?

Just dropped it off at the shop, and its only going to cost 30 bucks to install all 3 plus strings. Thanks a lot for the help guys!

Just dropped it off at the shop, and its only going to cost 30 bucks to install all 3 plus strings. Thanks a lot for the help guys!

Bonus. That's great. 10 bucks a piece is not bad at all. You'll love it I think.

which lace sensors did you choose?
    Bonus. That's great. 10 bucks a piece is not bad at all. You'll love it I think.

which lace sensors did you choose?

Red - Bridge
    Silver - Middle
    Gold - Neck

I hope it sounds as great as they make them out to be.

Red - Bridge
    Silver - Middle
    Gold - Neck

I hope it sounds as great as they make them out to be.

You chose well. I think you will like them. I have a gold and it is very nice in the neck.
    You chose well. I think you will like them. I have a gold and it is very nice in the neck.

And how about this: I already got the guitar back! 30 bucks and he does it in less than an hour! Amazing! and they sound great!