I just bought a drum kit.....

CanadianEHCanadianEH Posts: 134
edited February 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Now what do I do? I've figured out the hit things part but don't kow what to do next.
Vancouver 07/19/98 Vancouver 05/30/03
Portland 11/02/00 Vancouver 09/02/05
Boise 11/03/00 Gorge 1 07/22/06
Seattle 1 11/05/00 Gorge 2 07/23/06
Seattle 2 11/06/00 Vancouver 09/25/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Now what do I do? I've figured out the hit things part but don't kow what to do next.
    hit them in rhythm
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Now give it to me.

I don't know, learn a rock beat. Take a lesson or two.
    Ta ta tee tee ta.
  • I sat at that damn kit for 4 hours yesterday. Absolutley nothing got accomplished, my house is a disaster and I have people coming over in two hours, but at least I have rhythm! Why did it take me so long to get one of these? Any recommendations for the first Pearl Jam song to learn?
  • Any recommendations for the first Pearl Jam song to learn?
    Last Kiss is pretty easy. Watching Matt Cam helps too. Like watching how he chokes the hi-hat and the kind of posture he has. Just little things to help you on your way. Good luck.
  • Wishlist is the only song that comes readily to mind that qualifies as an easy song to learn...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Smile
    World Wide Suicide
    Low Light
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Not for You.

Easy to hear. Easy to play! Will build endurance becaue it's loooong.
    (kick kick, snare, kick, snare, kick, snare, kick, snare + quick closed high hat (open during chorus) and the occasional crash).

Once you've mastered that, then try WMA ;)
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    How long have you been playing? If you just started I recommend this book http://www.amazon.com/Stick-Control-Drummer-George-Lawrence/dp/1892764040

I've been playing for a while, but always go back to it. It's not always about playing fast and complex, but I'm always trying to improve in my time and feel. Play rudiments like these slow, than faster, and play at different volumns.

Forget about all the drums. Start with only the snare drum - play that for a couple months. Then add in the bass and hi-hat.

Good luck and have fun...
  • mnarob3mnarob3 Posts: 235
    take his advice!;)
    Red Lukin wrote:
    How long have you been playing? If you just started I recommend this book http://www.amazon.com/Stick-Control-Drummer-George-Lawrence/dp/1892764040

I've been playing for a while, but always go back to it. It's not always about playing fast and complex, but I'm always trying to improve in my time and feel. Play rudiments like these slow, than faster, and play at different volumns.

Forget about all the drums. Start with only the snare drum - play that for a couple months. Then add in the bass and hi-hat.

Good luck and have fun...
    *~~bologna 14.9.2006~~*~~vienna 25.9.2006~~*~~zagreb 26.9.2006~~
    *~~munich 12.6.2007~~*~~chorzow 13.6.2007~~*
  • FedericoFederico Posts: 7,916
    Not For you is the perfect one to start...then add a little variation in the middle and you got......Light years!

edit: parachutes is another fun one...its very easy, but it has a little tricky "stop&go" thing during the verses
  • SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    how much do you know yet?
    Like you know to hit the hi-hat at like 4th beats and then use the bass and snair for different parts of the beats n' stuff ? lol thats sounds confusing to me :D
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • I don't know why it took me so long to get one of these. Day 1, 4 hours straight, Day 2, 2 hours (had company, had to kick them out), Day 3 2 hours (that darn Superbowl thing that I was obligated to watch), Day 4, let's just say I didn't make it to work on time this morning.

I really appreciate everyone's help. Trying all of it, finding what works for me. Not For You is cool. Currently I'm focusing on the snare.

Keep all the advice coming! It's awesome!
  • If you like Weezer, the Sweater Song is so easy. Also try Man in the Box (verse), but that one is a little tricky to keep the time perfect on the high hat and kick if you're new. The intro/verse for Dive (Nirvana) is a cool one, but it wasn't easy to hold for long for the first few weeks. Those three were what I started with when I started playing in March. Oh yeah, and Not for You was one of my firsts also ;)

I can almost play Go now but it's a bit tricky for me still. You'll pick it up quickly, just keep at it.
  • eldermanelderman Posts: 180
    So you dont want a girlfriend then?
  • I don't know why it took me so long to get one of these. Day 1, 4 hours straight, Day 2, 2 hours (had company, had to kick them out), Day 3 2 hours (that darn Superbowl thing that I was obligated to watch), Day 4, let's just say I didn't make it to work on time this morning.

I really appreciate everyone's help. Trying all of it, finding what works for me. Not For You is cool. Currently I'm focusing on the snare.

Keep all the advice coming! It's awesome!

Just keep with it...like everything the more you practice, the more you'll improve. Everytime I go to a live show, I always watch the drummer the entire time to catch any small thing he or she may do. Constantly listening to music will help you get songs down and will also give you other ideas. I'd recommend taking a few lessons and then you can go from there. Once you get the hang of it, you can drop the lessons (unless this is something you want to pursue on a professional level). Good luck and have fun.

Out of curioisty what kind of kit did you buy?
    7/8/95, 6/26/98, 6/27/98, 8/17/98, 8/18/00, 8/20/00, 8/21/00, 10/8/00, 10/21/00, 6/16/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 6/24/03, 10/3/04, 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/20/06, 6/24/06, 6/30/06
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    i would trade my guitar skills for those of the drum variety

whenever i jam at my friend's house i love to get behind the kit for 5 mins, it's so fun
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Go down to your local music store and sign up for some lessons.
    (or better yet, try your local College or University - most of those instructors give private
    lessons on the side, or they'll be able to direct you to a good private instructor - this way
    you know you're getting a qualified instructor, not just some local music store GOON)
    . Just
    because someone's a good guitar player, or if they've been playing guitar a long time, or even if work out of your
    local music store . . .It Doesn't Necessarily Mean that they're a Good Guitar Instructor. Make sure that you
    check ALL Music Instructors (any instrument) Backgrounds, References, and Qualifications before spending
    your hard earned money $$$ on Lessons
    !!!

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Smile
    World Wide Suicide
    Low Light

world wide suicide is not easy at all if you jsut stared out on the drums.

i was just playing the drums to yellow ledbetter (06 version). that song is quite easy. i love the part towards the end where matt hits the toms while playing on the ride. basically any slow song is easy to play. daughter isnt too hard if you play it your own way.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • londonwpr wrote:
    Just keep with it...like everything the more you practice, the more you'll improve. Everytime I go to a live show, I always watch the drummer the entire time to catch any small thing he or she may do. Constantly listening to music will help you get songs down and will also give you other ideas. I'd recommend taking a few lessons and then you can go from there. Once you get the hang of it, you can drop the lessons (unless this is something you want to pursue on a professional level). Good luck and have fun.

Out of curioisty what kind of kit did you buy?

I wanted to see how far I could get without lessons, but right now it is probably my best option. Don't want to make too many bad habits before I can't break them (like I did with guitar).

I ended up buying an electronic drum set. It's a Yamaha DTXplorer. With a tenant downstairs that goes to bed at about 8:30 I didn't want to keep him up and piss him off. He makes too much money, so rent is always paid on time, doesn't have any friends so in 2 and a half years I've heard him twice. So anything that doesn't upset him works for me. I like it. The value (key word that kept coming up while doing my research) is great. After talking to the guy at the music store I determined it was best for me.

Even before I bought the kit I started focusing on the drums for quite a while and decided I could do that. Just before I got the kit I started listening to a lot of Rush. You know, if you want to be a drummer, might as well listen to one of the best. So yesterday while at work I was listening to the radio and won Rush tickets! It's out of town, so I probably wouldn't have bought them, and of course the affordablity factor because with service charges I think they are at least $100.

So right now I am just laying down bass and snare beats, then playing guitar and bass over top. It has been really beneficial to my guitar playing as well, so I've been doing a lot of playing of all my instruments.

Keeps me busy and out of troble (not that I would be getting into any anyway ; )
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    Go down to your local music store and sign up for some lessons.
    (or better yet, try your local College or University - most of those instructors give private
    lessons on the side, or they'll be able to direct you to a good private instructor - this way
    you know you're getting a qualified instructor, not just some local music store GOON)
    . Just
    because someone's a good guitar player, or if they've been playing guitar a long time, or even if work out of your
    local music store . . .It Doesn't Necessarily Mean that they're a Good Guitar Instructor. Make sure that you
    check ALL Music Instructors (any instrument) Backgrounds, References, and Qualifications before spending
    your hard earned money $$$ on Lessons
    !!!

- Ian

I think one of our music store's has an actual qualified goon. Having been to the store I am familiar with the personnel, I wouldn't really trust any of them to even change the strings on my guitar. However, one guy that taught my buddy did quite well and even lined him up with a gig after 8 weeks of playing. My buddy was really nervous and called me in a panic to know about some of the songs he had to learn, but ended up doing really well. They were even on the cover of one of the local newspaper magazines (relatively small town).
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Ian is right,get lessons, and learn to read music.
    I still recall an arghument I had with a guy a few years ago who I was jamming Sandman with, who kept on bitching about me being out by a beat by the end of the chorus.

Well, nowe I know that is because ther is one bar of 5/4 thrown in there, which he was just not getting, playing 4/4 all teh way through.

Get lessons, learn ot read, teh world will be the crustacean of your choice.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Lessons. This is definitely the best way to go.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • Lessons. Yup. Best choice...

...however...

If you're as stubborn as I am you could go auto-didactical and just learn it yerself. There's some good websites out there, but be warned! One of them "taught" me when I was tuning my toms that I had to "turn the lug as far as it will go" - damn well broke my floortom doing that. Dumbest thing I ever heard!

The best (free!) drumming lessons website is this one: http://www.drummingweb.com/
    C'est une belle histoire