call me naive but..how does this work

mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
ok you know Peter Frampton-yes that Peter Frampton- how does his Guitar talk box thing work, cause I don't know and it is pure awesomeness.
"I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mojorison_75mojorison_75 Posts: 157
    He's using a talk box. I think dunlop makes them, but I'm not sure who else still does. I've never used one or looked at one, so I can't give much info.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    A talk box is a pretty simple contraption. Here's a link to a pretty good all-in-one:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--RTRBANSHEE
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    In the words of Pete Frampton

First things first, before you stick the tube into your mouth and blast a 100 watts of screaming guitar, think of that sound coming through the tube as being made by another set of vocal chords! You actually make no sound yourself because you want the guitar (synth or anything that can be amplified) to be the sound that is affected by the shape of your mouth, just as if you were talking.
    An easy example would be to say "aaah" as if the doctor has just stuck that wooden thing down your throat. Now put the tube in your mouth and shape your mouth as if you are going to say "aaaah" but don’t! Let the instrument supply the sound. If you are playing guitar, play a note on the low E string as you will find it easier to sound out your first sound using a low note. Remember you still have your mouth shaped for the sound "aaaah". Now, as you play the note the guitar will be singing/saying "aaaah". Change the shape of your mouth and hear just how different the sound is with very little movement at all.

Some consonants are more difficult than others and just like any other instrument, 'The Framptone' needs you to practice and experiment. In reality, it took me quite a while before I was able to say "Hello Santa Monica!". Singing along while playing, 'The Framptone' is another effect I use sometimes. This effect is used specifically at the very end of, 'The Framptone' solo on the live version of 'Do You Feel Like We Do?'

Enjoy and many thanks - Peter Frampton
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    You need a seperate amp to drive the box. Inside the box there is a tiny speaker that forces the sound of the guitar up the tube and into your mouth where it gets sent to the PA via microphone.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/products/electronics/heil/manuals/ht1_manual.pdf
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Gus_3218Gus_3218 Posts: 59
    Is this the stuff used on Generator? Where Dave Grohl sticks something in his mouth and goes Wah Wa Oh etc etc....
    ‘‘If somebody said to me, in twelve years you’ll be in a band with your brother and two carrot munching geezers who don’t like football I would have said fuck off, I’m not joining the Bee Gees.’’

Noel Gallagher
    Originally posted by Gus_3218
    Is this the stuff used on Generator? Where Dave Grohl sticks something in his mouth and goes Wah Wa Oh etc etc....

That would be it yes.