Options

Help me buy a new (modeling) amp

DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
hey guys,

i have a gay ass Fender Hot Rod Delux,
you guys may think that 40 watts of super cool retro-tube powered blues\country sounding twangy ass noise is a good thing

but between the fact that i like pearl jam, loud marshall style noise\distortion and that i hate taking things to guitar shops ... i need a new amp.

in fact i have never had my amp serviced in almost 4 years, which is prolly why it sounds like shit.

so i want a good modeling amp.
does that mean i need a Line 6?

i have money, but don't wanna spend more than 1,000.
shouldn't be hard, right?

can you guys gimme some suggestions?

go go go.
If I was to smile and I held out my hand
If I opened it now would you not understand?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    that thing looks like the shit.

i'm not sure i'm even ready for 100watts.
    i think my friends might say that it is 60 watts too much of a headache for them to deal with (i suck).

can you explain why it is going for like 1\6th of retail?

why would i want another amp?
    how hard are modeling amps to figure out?

what will i be pissed off about when i get this amp?

although i have to admit,
    that for a response to my post right of the bat,
    that amp looks like the nail on the head.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Just make sure the DeVille goes to a good home... sure, it's not the amp for everyone, but it's still a great amp.

If you're looking for low-maintenance, solid state amps (which modeling amps are) would be a good choice. Definitely a lot less maintenance than an old Marshall head. That Line 6 DuoVerb is a pretty good deal, and you'll be able to figure it out pretty easy. Here's a version of that amp in a stand-alone head:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031023222642150131025216761624/g=guitar/search/detail/base_id/87263
    Then you can pick up a Marshall 4 x 12" cabinet with Greenback Celestion speakers and have the look AND the feel.

And 100 watts will be good. Solid-state amps are rated differently from tube amps in their power ratings. Basically, a tube amp's true output is 70% more than the number you see. So, a 40 watt tube amp sounds like a 70 watt solid-state amp. The reason is power-before-distortion ratings, how much output before the tubes start to distort. On solid-state amps, there are no tubes, just transistors, so you get full power without distortion. So, no, it won't be too loud.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    MikeMcCreadyIsGod is god ! !! ! !!

hey guys,
    can you explain why i would want to skip getting the Line6 mentioned WITH the 2x12 celestions and get just the head ...

when both are the same price?

how big of a difference are we talking about here between the same amp head playing through 2 built in celestions and the amp seperate powering a 4x12 marshall cabinet?

i know jack shit about electronics.
    i know there are a BUNCH of marshall cabinets,
    and they are all quite expensive ...

and i just don't understand what i would get out of that, except a LOT of noise?

i play mostly at my house, not at gigs. remember.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Well, the combo is more portable and takes up less room. Especially in the car... hauling a 4 x 12" cabinet is a pain, unless you have a truck, SUV or station wagon. The combo will be plenty big for you now, and you can always add an extension cabinet later. The head and cabinet route is good if you want a big sound and a big amp standing behind you at shows. But I'd probably recommend the combo for you for now. Besides, they may be the same price, but unless you have a speaker cabinet just lying around, you would need to buy a cabinet as well, so the price of the head and cabinet together would be more anyways.

I'll buy your Fender for $200... assuming it works right....
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.